Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM

Default How to Configure an External Preamp with Omni?

I'm setting up a brand new HD Native Thunderbolt/Omni rig and I'm having difficulty routing an external preamp thru the Omni.

Specifically, I want to run a mic thru an external preamp and plug into the XLR Mic inputs on the back of the Omni while bypassing the Omni preamps. I tried choosing the "Line" input option but this didn't seem to work.

Admittedly, I'm finding the Omni Hardware & I/O set up a little confusing, so assuming these configurations are part of the answer, I would appreciate any tips in configuring the Hardware and I/O preferences (screen shots are VERY helpful!)

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 PM

Default Re: How to Configure an External Preamp with Omni?

You'll want to use inputs 3 and/or 4 for that kind of thing, in which case you'll need an xlr to TRS cable since inputs 3/4 are TRS. Using inputs 1/2 with either XLR connector (front or back) I believe engages the built-in preamps so you'll be double-ampimg if you go that route.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 AM

Actually, you can use the line in 1 and 2 and completely bypass the preamp.

But to do this, you can only use the TRS inputs on the back, not the XLR's, even if you've selected Line on the front. This is stated in the manual.

If you have any more questions, we'll be happy to help. The Omni is a nifty little box, once you understand how it works.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Thanks for clarifying the lack of XLR bypass.

I'm still finding my way around the Omni Hardware/Software set up.