Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 10th Anniversary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryst View Post
Best AFFORDABLE product. I'd like to think the HD systems beat out the LE, otherwise no one would pay the $xxxxx amounts to buy it.

Happy birthday, LE

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they ever find out we're getting the better end of this deal they will overrun our threads and act like snobs...
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:28 PM

I've been using my 001 since 2002, got it new. Still use it but the PC is dying around it. Still running 5.3.1

Without the 001 and PTLE back in the day I would never have been able to afford to record and release albums. Amazing technology.

If I want to keep using my 001 (coz it does exactly what I need it to do!) what's the best NEW machine to run it on? Build an Allenstein? Are the components still available? (I've *never* built a PC). And should I upgrade from 5.3.1 (I basically use it like a multitrack, I have NO need for plug in synths etc, I have a room full of real ones )
Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 PM

The 001 is what brought me to the DUC in 2002. I had it in a AMD Athlon XP2400 machine with 1 gig of ram and a couple of hard drives, running 6.4 I think, might have been 6.1. That machine NEVER missed a lick. I could import 24 -32 tracks and it just hummed right along. I used to haul it to Nashville, importing tracks from a couple of Alesis HD24s the producer was using. They would be mixing in the control room and I had my rig set up in the lounge, when they came across a problem like a bad punch or needing some editing or processing they brought the drives out to me. I once had a vocal track of Bonnie Bramlett where for some reason they didn't let her listen to the other vocal tracks on a duet she was doing, I ended up with 132 edits, slips and Pitch N Time corrections on that one vocal track. All without a single hang, error or freeze. They were totally impressed with my little 001, paid for itself in 2 days.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 12-28-2009, 02:37 PM

Ah, the Digi 001.

What a great thing.

If I shall get nostalgic for a bit here.

At the time, from 1997 until about 2000 I was using Goldwave. A free program used to record from the mic input on the back of my SoundBlaster 16 card in my old computer. Actually cut my first CD with that thing and it made it to the radio. The only CD I've done that did that. It was excruciating. Recording a drum sample, looping it, then playing it back and recording audio to another track, UNSYNCED, and having to splice it in at the right moment. Doing that over and over sometimes 25 times until a track was done. It was in no way conducive to the workflow of engineering. There was no going back and retweaking levels without essentially rebuilding the song, track by track.

I wanted more and....
...I bought Cubase SX 1 in 2000 or so with an Echo Layla. I fiddled with the damn thing for weeks and never got it to work. In my frustration, I took it back to Guitar Center and got my refund(complete with a 10% restocking fee - still remember that; bastards...).

So, what did I do? I saw this little DIGI thing laying there in the box. But, it was different in that it had hardware and software in the box. I figured, for SURE, this thing must work without much problem.

Luck would have it, I plugged it in, installed the 5.1 disc, and it worked! Presto!

I still remember the contents of my box. The Digi 001, PT 5.1, the D-Verb plug-in on 3.5" floppy disc, cables and what not, and a HUGE 300+ page instruction manual.

Shortly after, Digi discontinued the inclusion of a free manual and turned it into a stupid PDF. I was fortunate enough, though, like many Old Hands, to be able to refer to the manual without leaving my session.

If I remember correctly, 5.3 came sometime right after that. I upgraded to that which I think was free or maybe a $10 shipping charge. I also picked up a new system. An AMD 2200+.

Wow! It screamed compared to my old system.

But, with new shtuff, comes new problems. I put the hard drive in my system, and all my sessions were gone! The harddrive was wiped. This was before I learned my lesson that the 001 doesnt like to be troubled with things like Upgrades.

Fortunately, I realized the harddrive was just a finicky little bitch and needed some love and attention. I reinstalled the hard drive software and magically, everything reappeared back on the drive. Strange...

I recorded 50 or 60 crappy songs, then upgraded years later to 6.4 as well as a new system. This time, an AMD 3500+.

I am neither proud nor feel accomplished in saying that I still have that system. However, I am proud to say that even though technology has quickly sped past that system and DIGI unit, it still fires up to this day, and I do on occasion dabble with it.

For a while I also purchased an MBOX 2 that I recorded mobile on my Sony Vaio laptop. But, when I realized those we're both crappy in comparison, I sold them off.

But, I did enjoy the Pro Tools 7 software.
---

The important thing here though, is where that little DIGI got me. Sure, it's not a rags to riches story by any means, but it helped me find a path to my seemingly meaningless life at the time.

I, like many of you, probably post(ed) many songs online in random places. It's not for vanity's sake, but mostly for the purpose of getting varied opinions on certain pieces.

I put up a bunch of instrumental pieces on some indie film boards. And, lo and behold, a man hit me up asking if I would be interested in scoring his short 35mm film. And for cash.

He gave me a $1000 - which, at the time was more money then I could possible have dreamed of for writing music in the comforts of my home with no worry or stress about having to recreate it live. It was a dream of mine - I had always dreaded the idea of performing my music live. Mostly because I was a one-man band, and the pressures of putting together a band with people I would have to trust just seemed like a daunting task.

I started work on the score right away... little did I know, with the hours, days and weeks I put into that thing, I could have made 3 times that salary if I spent the same amount of time working the McDonalds drive thru at $7 an hour.

But, I finished, and was glad to having a paying gig at all. The extra money was well received too, since I was also working a normal day job.

I was invited to the set of his new television pilot, and watched the production go on. He had been talking to me about also scoring the theme song for the pilot. Sadly, the pilot crashed and burned before it ever really hit the production facilities. But, I found myself in love with the film process. And, I won't go into that, because that is not digi related, but due to that little DIGI 001, I am now in working on film sets in Hollywood, doing completely unrelated things to music.

And, I can say that because that little machine never gave up on me after years and hundreds, maybe thousands of hours of use, I probably wouldnt be where I am today.

----

So, what are my fondest moments from the DUC world?

I will have to say that the moments that stick out the most:

1) Seeing "Captain Pants" in print in a Future Music magazine piece about how Forum's and the internet have changed social behavior and colleagues-manship in the music world.

I still have the magazine, and I get a chuckle just at how ludicrous and out of place the name Captain_Pants looks in that magazine full of tech-gear and stuff I could never afford.

2) Roy's "Post your latest stuff" thread. It was exciting listening to everyones pieces daily, or even hourly. I havent checked the post in a long time, but I know when I was on DUC daily, it was being posted to several times an hour with new stuff. In addition, listening to everyone's thoughts on ones own pieces was great. It really helped build the community here, I think.

3) The DUC Christmas 2004 CD. One day I decided to put together this little thing called the DUC christmas. Where people would put together christmas songs, be it original songs or remakes, send them to me, and out of the goodness of my heart, I would compile the CD's, and send them out to the participants with everyones contributions on them. Wow! What a daunting and rewarding task.

I think I received 20 or so songs. Unfortunately, I decided to put this CD together a week before christmas. So, I had to rush to get these all compiles, printed with labels, and back out in the mail to everyone.

But, the sense of community was rewarding. Sure, it was only 20 out of hundreds/thousands of users, but they only had a week to put the songs together. I still have a copy of the CD around here somewhere.

I tried the next year with not so much success. It never happened.

4) Jacksons "Burn Down My Memory" contest. It was fun. We all got together and made tracks around his solo "Burn Down" lyric track. Some were great, some were mediocre, but everyone put in an effort. There must have been 50 submissions. I didn't take home the top honors by any means, but I had fun none-the-less. Again, the sense of community was grandiose.

The community I was familiar with seemed to have dissipated the years following. Sure, it was still there in forms, maybe it is still there now with new people, but, for me, it will never be the same as it was from 2001-2005.

I know Shan, that last bit about the DUC isnt specific to the DIGI001, but it is a result of it.

Here's to another 10 years!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:56 PM

Great post Captain_Paints!

filosofem
Old 12-28-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Pants View Post
The community I was familiar with seemed to have dissipated the years following. Sure, it was still there in forms, maybe it is still there now with new people, but, for me, it will never be the same as it was from 2001-2005.
!
Ya, it was alot Smaller - I came in about 2002 Lurking, and occasionally posting under 3 or 4 different handles / Usernames until I settled on KingFish

I really disappeared around 2006 - 2008 from here... then I bought an HD system for at home, and kind of got excited about "New pro tools stuff" again.

The D.U.C's "Regulars" in the last few years, seems to have grown, from about 20 or so of us, to maybe 150+ new regulars - it's a real different sense of community now - seems that everyone has a proTools system at home now, with all the M-Powered options, and Essentials, the "Serious intensity" of the users, even hobbyists, seems watered down alot by "How do I hear anything through this thing" and posts alike.

I used to use the "New Posts" search feature, and in 2003 - 2004 it felt like I'd always be engaged in 15 - 20 threads. Nowdays, I usually pipe in on 2 or 3 a week, let a week or two pass, post a new thread once a month or so.

Anyways, nice to see some old friends.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 12-28-2009, 07:56 PM

My, my.....hehe....hey you guys.

Can't believe I missed the first incarnation of this thread back in what, September?

During the 'old' DUC days, I learned more here than I could've in any college class. I already had some extensive experience in music, but knew very little or nothing about both computers and especially digital recording. Being around people like you guys made it both fun and interesting to learn, and more importantly made some things sink in along the way. No question was a dumb question, and I always appreciated that. We're all still learning, of course.....it's an ongoing thing, but I also really enjoyed getting to know and become friends with so many of you along the way.

My life has spread out more these days, between music projects and family, but I really appreciate the knowledge and friendship I got from here.

Hope you guys keep it up, and I'll pop in every chance I get.

-Roy
Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Roy Howell, come on down. Great to see you here even if it's for a short time or every once in a while.

Happy New Year!
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-28-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
Ya, it was alot Smaller - I came in about 2002 Lurking, and occasionally posting under 3 or 4 different handles / Usernames until I settled on KingFish

I really disappeared around 2006 - 2008 from here... then I bought an HD system for at home, and kind of got excited about "New pro tools stuff" again.

The D.U.C's "Regulars" in the last few years, seems to have grown, from about 20 or so of us, to maybe 150+ new regulars - it's a real different sense of community now - seems that everyone has a proTools system at home now, with all the M-Powered options, and Essentials, the "Serious intensity" of the users, even hobbyists, seems watered down alot by "How do I hear anything through this thing" and posts alike.

I used to use the "New Posts" search feature, and in 2003 - 2004 it felt like I'd always be engaged in 15 - 20 threads. Nowdays, I usually pipe in on 2 or 3 a week, let a week or two pass, post a new thread once a month or so.

Anyways, nice to see some old friends.
I remember when you started your own forum and a lot of us jumped ship to there for a while. I also remember you posting a practice PT session for everyone, and in fact I probably still have it on my old 001 rig!! Also in 6.0 we had bad BTD problems, and our unanswered 7401 threads!

We used to walk uphill, both ways on the old DUC, through snow!! And we didn't have a cute little duck at the top of the forum to keep us all calm.

Though we did have the bar and grill and afterwards the tea shop.

Long live the 001!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
I remember when you started your own forum and a lot of us jumped ship to there for a while. I also remember you posting a practice PT session for everyone, and in fact I probably still have it on my old 001 rig!! Also in 6.0 we had bad BTD problems, and our unanswered 7401 threads!

We used to walk uphill, both ways on the old DUC, through snow!! And we didn't have a cute little duck at the top of the forum to keep us all calm.

Though we did have the bar and grill and afterwards the tea shop.

Long live the 001!!!
HA! Wow.. "I" forgot all that stuff... Ya I did have a forum... thats funny, and the whole Session thing... Karel, Bastian, Da Basstard, I think all Hosted Mirrors of it for a while... then I got worried, cause that track (Which I thought was a lost demo), ended up on an album, so i pulled it.

The forum didn't really work... cause hey.. I'm not Digidesign, kind of like my new "Abandoned Ship" - The Blog I was gonna start.

I get 2 days off, and start all these big ideas, never really follow through. Anyways, Third Eye, Weed, Roy, n All from the old days - good to see you.

Wonder what ever happened to Da BaStArD <-- or how ever he emphasized it, and Bastian??? Nice to see Nikki and Rail still around.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App