Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Default "Access violation" whenever I record enable a track

I've run into a bit of a disaster with my 003/Pro Tools 9.0.2 setup. I've been recording and editing vocal tracks for several weeks, now. All of a sudden, one day, when I tried to record enable an existing track to punch in a change, I got the message "Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0xF1F025AD". I restarted the 003 and rebooted the computer, but now I get the access violation whenever I try to record enable an existing track on ANY song (not just the one with the original problem). If a track has been recorded on previously, it will always give an access violation when I record enable. After the message, everything is screwed and I have to restart Pro Tools. If I create a new track, I can record enable it and record on it without problems. I tried re-installing the 9.0.2 update over itself, but that had no effect. If anyone has any suggestions as to what might be going on or how to fix, I would greatly appreciate them. I don't understand how it has managed to screw up all tracks on all songs.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Default Re: "Access violation" whenever I record enable a track

I should have described my system a bit. Here are the basics:

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Pro Tools 9.0.2
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 ghz
8 gb RAM
120 gb OCZ Summit solid state drive (system/applications)
80 gb WD Raptor (Pro Tools data)
1 tb Seagate SATA drive (sound libraries and samples)
003 Factory
Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 PM

Are all of your plugins up to date?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 PM

There was a new version of Melodyne out, and it tried to upgrade itself. Thinking it might be the problem, I completely uninstalled the whole plugin, but that didn't help. Everything else was the way it has been for several weeks, and everything has been working perfectly the whole time. I haven't had any problems until now, and hadn't changed anything. I've recorded a pile of vocal tracks and have used the playlists heavily. It just suddenly choked when I went to punch in a section in one of the existing tracks. Hasn't worked properly since.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but just so all the info is out there... I had the artist punch a small phrase that he had screwed up. It seemed to record fine, except that when I played it back, it wasn't what he had just recorded. It was a chunk of audio from earlier in the song. He actually punched it twice, and both clips were wrong. It was really baffling. Anyways, I figured we would have to do it again, so I deleted those clips and tried to record enable to track to go again, and that's when the whole "Access violation" problem started.

One other thought that came to mind is that all the existing tracks have multiple playlists associated with them. If I create a new track and don't create any playlists, it records fine. I haven't tried creating a playlist on a new track. I'll give that a go when I'm back tonight. However, I don't know if knowing that helps me any...
Old 06-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Avid

Have you tried the basics from the General Troubleshooting sticky, like trashing preferences?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 PM

That fixed it!! I toasted the preferences and database files (backed them up first) and everything is now back to normal again. Thanks very much!! You possibly saved me hours of "experimenting". I had tried the utility tool, but it doesn't work with version 9, and I hadn't spotted the manual instructions until you mentioned it.