Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-14-2002, 11:52 PM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Loudist,

Sorry, but I wasn't at the first test.
===================
<<Dave, you've been such a trooper through this but you have lost it here.>>

Eggman,

If you are asking me why I said what I said, I'll answer.

In my personal opinion, gloating is ugly. And in the grand scheme of life, this debate means nothing.

MM's inability to pull this retest off in a reasonable amount of time is really disappointing, but if he wasn't talented and experienced, I wouldn't have been wasting my time with this all along. So with that in mind, IMO, he deserves some dignity because he's not a crackpot. If no one agrees with me, that's ok.

Thanks to MM's stance, I've learned some things and so have others here. This has been a positive experience if we want to view it as such.

I've put more time into this thread than most. In fact, I spent a good day of my time just trying to put together a test, outside of posting replies. If anyone has the right to be Pi$$ed off, it's me. But I've got to keep things in perspective here. What should I do? Kidnap him? C'mon... He's not a monkey who performs when you put a quarter in the cup.

========================================
John McDaniel:

Given your obvious intelligence and command of the English language, I'm surprised you didn't understand the intentional melodrama in my post.

<<edited by DC>>

DC
Old 07-15-2002, 07:16 AM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Quote:
Sorry, but I wasn't at the first test.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My apologies Dave, I genuinely thought you were the one who was referred to as at the test in some posts, many posts ago.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:11 AM

Allright Dave: I'M SORRY.

The act to which I referred was "brown nosing" a euphamism describing sycophantic behavior rather than a literal act. Therefore the reference to a hankie, as in wiping one's nose.

Apparently (although not alone, I think), I misread your post; failing to catch the "intentional melodrama."

I stand corrected. I can admit my mistakes. In the future I will be more on the lookout for something other than literal meaning in your posts.

I'M SORRY. I WAS WRONG. I MADE A MISTAKE.

If you say you weren't brown nosing then I take you at your word. Perhaps you can explain to me the proper interpretation of this quote. If it's to be taken literally, then so be it. I'll accept that and I apologige for mis-interpreting. If by melodrama, you mean over the top, then that would tend toward my original interpretation, but I'll still apologize for calling melodrama brown nosing.

Quote:
t's been a third of a year with no retest from the accuser, a talented and respected engineer, but that doesn't change the fact that he is a talented and respected engineer. Important point.
Even the most brilliant minds engage in folly from time to time by way of good intention. So let's let MM stand with the dignity he deserves.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No more posts on this. My 192's are in and in a week or two, I'll be able to do my own tests. That will satisfy me. As for others, they can satisfiy themselves.

Once again Dave, I apologize for offending you.

Regards, j mcd
Old 07-15-2002, 09:15 AM

Apology accepted.

DC
Old 07-15-2002, 01:57 PM

Rick,

Glad you're back...in a nutshell:

-Dave has given up on MM. Probably most of us have, too, I guess.

-MM has not been up on this board for quite some time, although he continues to post lengthy posts on PSW. No time for testing when he's spending so much time watching his board.

-Loudist and I have banded together to stop intolerance and bigotry on the net. Lee Blaske is our head of research in this regard.

-Jules has been quiet and didn't help much in pushing this thread to an 8th page.

-If we keep pushing, we CAN get this thread to 300.

Welcome back. We missed you.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:15 PM

Man, you guys just had to toss in a bus full of Nuns to this ongoing train wreck....

Look folks, it's simple...

Test #1: Grab your girlfriend, go to the $1 movie theatre and catch the first 5 or 10 minutes of the Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood...

Hear any lose of low-end in the score?

Test #2: Go to your local record store and pick up a CD by the artist "Truth Hurts". Now I know Dr. Dre is not everybody's "cup of tea", but the CD itself is great for testing low-end (if your into Eminem, his latest will do nicely as well)...

Any lose of low-end here?

Test #3 (Optional): Transfer audio tracks from 2" 16 track into HD for a major artist most of us will never have the privledge to work with...

Does their "Grammy Award" winning engineer hear the difference?

If the answer is "No" to the questions in the 3 test, then what MM heard was related to something else. Correct if I'm wrong, but the HD rig MM was using was a rental and has been used on other high profile jobs without complant.

As far as the retest is concerned and in MM defense (did I just say that?!), he has been booked solid AND trying to spend time with his family, I would hope all of you would respect that. In Dave Carlock's defense, simply put, he owes nothing to anyone! He was just kind enough to try to bring everyone together. If you don't see DC's HD rig on eBay, I'm sure everything is fine.

As for me, I've built 3 HD systems for various artist and rental companies in the L.A. area and I'm the process of building 2 more to be used on scoring dates on 2 large budget motion pictures. I have talked to a few well respected movie mixers that put the 192 interface on par with the RADAR 24 S-Nyquest converters and the dB Technology "Blue" series converters. If you doubt this, get off your butts and do a test, don't wait for MM or Dave to tell you what you can find out for yourself!
Old 07-16-2002, 12:42 AM

Wow, I just got back from vacation and took a look here and can't believe it. Don't any of you guys have jobs? What's that joke that ends with the punch line "Oh that's just the McMurphy brothers, drunk again."

Shall we line up some shots and move on to page nine? ("No really, oshifer, none of us were driving the 192--we were all in the back seat singing" - - - or "Krizman will have to run the PT rig, he's too drunk to sing")

Carry on !!!

-Rick Krizman
Old 07-16-2002, 02:45 AM

Since this whole thing is about to sputter into oblivion, I wonder if the participants in this thread would mind my taking a poll on the following items:

1. How many folks here thought MM would participate in a test to verify his assertions regarding Pro Tools HD's fundamental deficiencies? (I am NOT implying he never meant to do so)

2. How many folks here believe MM would have retreated from his position regarding Pro Tools subsequent to the test?

3. How many people here have looked closely at their systems to determine if MM's observations were accurate?

I am not trying to pick any fights or get anyone riled up, so PLEASE do not take it that way. I am simply interested in group dynamics, (I actually studied this stuff once upon a time) and find the infinite mosaic of human nature intensely interesting.

Here are my answers. Please elaborate on your own if you choose.

1. Yes (with reservations)
2. No
3. Yes

PS Just trying to do my part to push this thread to 10 pages. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2002, 08:15 AM

1 Yes
2 Yes
3 No
Old 07-16-2002, 03:05 PM

<<Any lose of low-end here?>>

Digiengineer,

Though I understand what you're trying to say, examples #1 & 2 don't prove your point. Since those projects were mixed through consoles and mixers mix with their ears, any deficiency could easily have been dealt with on the console. Also, there are numerous ways to approach a mix. For example, additive eq'ing or subtractive eq'ing are two dramatically differing approaches that can both yield good results in the right hands and the right genres. It's all relative as they say.

#3 is the best support for your opinion, yet you listed it as optional and it sounds more hypothetical than personally experienced. What's the behind the scenes on #3? Did you actually witness this?

DC