Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-28-2003, 05:45 PM

Default Purchasing Protools HD Accel/G5

I'm about to purchase a G5 and a Protools HD Accel 2 and had a few questions...

1.The standard 192 IO will allow me to record 16 adat channels at once correct (or 16 analog at once, 8 adat/8 analog)? If I add the digital card, I will still only be able to record 16 channels of adats at once, but will be able to CONNECT 24 adat channels...Will I be able to monitor 24 adat channels at once if I do this? Is there a limit on the number of channels you can monitor at once?

2.Is it a major headache to get Protools HD Accel up and running on a MAC G5? If it's fairly straightforward "follow the instructions", I'll just do it myself.

3.I'm going to be running a few Gigastudios into PTHD via Adat..At what point is some kind of external wordclock necessary? How much digital stuff do you have to have flyin around before you need a clock?

Thanks a lot guys. Wish me luck
Old 10-28-2003, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Purchasing Protools HD Accel/G5

The 192 can have at maximum 16 in and 16 out at the same time, doesn't matter what combination of analog or digital or what cards you have in there.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:34 PM

The 192 has a limitation of 16 simultaneous inputs at once.
In order to have 24 simultaneous inputs you would have to have two 192's (or a combination of a 192 and 96 or 96i if you wanted some less expensive analog inputs).
Also, if you want to do 16 simultaneous ANALOG inputs you must add an extra A/D card - the stock 192 only has 8 A/D converters.
Now, if you are only going to be doing the 16 ADAT ins, then go for the 192DigitalI/O - it forgoes all the A/D converters and knocks about $1500 off the list price.
I can't comment on the G5/Accel stuff - I am HD on a G4.
As for the clock, I don't think you will need a clock in your situation.
You could clock the adat cards from your 192 via lightpipe (or vice-versa) or run a wordclock cable from the 192 over to your adat cards if it has a wordclock input (this would probably be best). The 192's do some PLL retiming things to incoming clock signals and many folks on here with far more knowledge than I have pointed out that there is not a real advantage to using an external clock with a 192 for the sake of sound quality.
hth.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:38 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I'm glad I won't need an external wordclock then. Anyone else have a comment on the difficulty levels of getting a HD system up and running?

In regards to which interface I need...Let me elaborate a little...I don't really care how many INDIVIDUAL TRACKS I can record at once, I just want to be able to HEAR or MONITOR everything at once. Since I will probably have three Gigastudio systems, each of them with their own ADAT output, I will only be able to hear them through HD. It's fine if I have to listen to all the tracks for each Gigastudio on one channel while I'm working, and then individually record the tracks later on....So in essence I don't need 24 individual tracks to be recorded at once, just whatever will allow me to monitor the three ADATS coming from the Gigastudios in HD. Will one 192 IO allow me to do this? Is there a better solution? Thanks!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 09:05 AM

bump bump bump
Old 10-29-2003, 10:17 AM

It's a little to early to go the G5 route. I'd suggest waiting until about January and see how things are working. Remeber, the G5 really wants to use 10.3 (Panther) - You'll have to upgrade from 10.7 to 10.3 and Pro Tools won't work with 10.3 for a few more weeks. Don't forget - it's more than just Pro Tools that makes up your Pro Tools Workstaion. Pace has to be updated (and tested), ATTO and on and on.

Those Dual G4's are selling for $1600, they work now and should last for a a good 18 months.

The G5 "today" is for someone who wants to live on the bleeding edge - but will be a great computer 3 months from now.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:19 AM

as Tvent said above ...

you can only have 16 input in whatever config you choose ...

if you have 24 channels of ADAT from Gigas you can put 16 into a 192 I/O and monitor that in PT

if you need more he or she is right in saying that you will need an additional interface ... in your case Digital I/O would give you 16 more channels of ADAT ...

now with a total of 32 input channels you can have and monitor 24 channels of ADAT and 8 channels of analog ...

with only one 192 I/O you will be limited to 8 channels of analog and 8 channels of ADAT or if you buy another digital card, 16 channels of ADAT and No analog inputs ...

if you have that many inputs and you want to keep it "In the Box" (PT) you will have to purchase more interfaces ...

or, you could get something like an O2R96 and put 3 ADAT cards in it and send a stereo feed to PT analog for monitoring, and have 8 channels of ADAT into PT when you need to dump for mixing, dumping 8 channels of Giga at a time ...

seems to me unless you need the power of the mixer yu can get a 192 Digital I/O a lot cheaper ...

just my .02

peace john

isn't this a great forum when we are not argueing over some form of [bleep] or another ...

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-29-2003, 05:29 PM

Ok, with that info, it sounds like your limiting factor is the 192I/O has two adat connections in stock configuration.
Taking the A/D card out and replacing it with a digital input card would turn it into a 192 DIGITAL I/O at an inflated price. Going the 192 DIGITAL I/O route you will not have any way to monitor your audio very easily or anyway to get analog audio into your system so that is probably not a good solution all by itself (assuming you will want to do more than JUST gigastudio.)

Also keep in mind that the ADAT inputs on the 192's will only support 44.1/48k sample rates.

That being said, I think the most economical solution for you would be:

1 - 192 I/O and 1 - 24bit ADAT interface connected to the legacy port.

This would allow you to have all of your Gigastudio inputs PHYSICALLY connected to an interface at all times.
Additionally, you can pick and choose which adat inputs you need to actually monitor in pairs, so you could mix and match all sorts of ways (up to 16 MAX at any one time). You would still have 8 analog inputs and outputs for monitoring and recording to/from the analog domiain or to use as send/returns to your favorite analog outboard processor(s).

Now, IF you need to work at sample rates higher than 48k, this solution will not work for you becuase, as i said earlier, the 192's do not support higher than 48k on the ADAT inputs. HOWEVER, you could use the built-in SRC on the ADAT inputs and that would allow you to run 96k (or whaterver) sessions and have the hardware SRC convert the sample rates up to the session sample rate. IF this is how you will work then you need to be aware that SRC is only available on the adat inputs on the actual digital input card - in plain english this means there is no SRC on the digital inputs that are built into the chasis of the 192 and because the legacy port is for interfaces that were built in the 44.1/48k only days there is no SRC on the legacy port either. SO, if you plan to do high sample rates the least you can get by with is a 192 and a 192Digital (Actually, you could buy 2 192 digitals and get some external converters to handle your monitoring needs, but that would probably be more hassle than the dough saved and if you are saving dough there then you are probably getting inferior converters as compared to what is in the 192's)

To sumarize:
If you are going to stay at 44.1/48k you can get buy with 1 192 and a 24bit adat bridge - cost ~ $3500 or so for the 192 and $800 or so for the adat bridge used about $4300 total.
If you are going to need higher than 44.1/48k you will need a 192 and a 192 digital - cost ~ $3500 or so for the 192 and 2200 for the 192 digital About $5700 total.

One last thought, if analog I/O is only necessary in your environment for monitoring AND you are only interested in 44.1/48k, then you could actually get by with a 192 digital and an adat bridge because the adat bridge has two channels of analog I/O on it that can be used for monitoring - of course you would then have overkill on the adat inputs because you would have 5 total - but that would keep your cost down around $3grand or less all together . That solution would also get you 16 channels of hardware SRC on the inputs IF you decided you wanted to play with high sample rates - then you could experiment and IF you decided you liked that way you could replace the adat bridge with a 192I/O later.

does this help or make it more confusing?

Oh, and YES, this is a great forum!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:35 PM

I don't normally reply to myself, but another thought just came about.

You could also just get a 192 and add a digital card to it (Did you say that already).
This would get you 3 physical ADAT connections to pick and choose from.
This may also be easier to contend with than the legacy port solution, but I can't say for sure.

Keep in mind that only the digital inputs on the cards do SRC, so you would have only 16 channels of hardware SRC if the higher sample rate thing applies.

hth.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:36 PM

Thanks guys for your very helpful responses. I'm ready to order today. Tvent, thanks for the very detailed post. This is a great forum!