Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 12-20-2018, 08:48 PM

Default Thunderbolt 3

Hello DUC!!!

Well I am looking to buy an Apollo interface and everything has moved to Thunderbolt 3.
I have pro tools 12 and running windows 7 pro 64 bit on one machine and win 10 on a hp laptop.

And, I will need a new computer, so I am looking at an imac. Although I prefer windows.

So, I have searched a lot, but it seems there are not a lot of Windows machines with Thunderbolt 3 although there are USB -C ports , but not a lot of clarity of compatibility with the Apollo Thunderbolt.

Any advice from the DUC on this? Is mac the way to go or is there a PC build that will function and run the new Thunderbolt 3?

PS....tech is a four letter word

Thanks
Old 12-20-2018, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Thunderbolt 3

Most PCs don't support Thunderbolt 3 but there are models out there that you can find, what's do you need that you can't find? You'll need Windows 10.

There are Windows computers with Thunderbolt 3 that UAD recommend, so start by looking at that.

Thunderbolt 3 motherboards include the GIGABYTE X299 DESIGNARE EX. I could not think of any computer I'd want to purchase vs. building my own.

Both Lenovo and HP (ZBook) make Windows laptops with Thunderbolt 3.

Macintosh is always a fine choice, especially of you are tech adverse.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:32 AM

Thanks Darryl, the problem started because my USB focusrite 2i2 had problems so I figured I should go to Thunderbolt 3 for better quality.

Its not really in the budget right now to get both a new computer and a new interface, I will read up on those motherboards, Yes I agree its better to build a machine.

I found that info page on compatabiltiy.
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...-Compatibility

Or buy another USB interface....and wait on the upgrade....which usb interface would you reccomend?

Thanks Again
Old 12-21-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangoportland View Post
...I figured I should go to Thunderbolt 3 for better quality.
I'm a little unsure what your end goal is here with TB3. The main benefit of using TB3 is the speed of the data, which in turn gives you very low latency compared to older technologies.

So by quality, do you just mean a better, more pro level interface?

The other unknown is how you use Pro Tools. Do you track with a lot of plug-ins and how many tracks are in a typical session?

Newer computers can do pretty well over USB and the latency is low enough where it isn't a problem. I have never used MOTU interfaces, but they have some USB 3 interfaces that claim to have latency almost as low as TB.

As for my setup, I'm using a Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 into a StarTech TB3 to TB2 adapter with a Presonus Quantum audio interface running under Windows 10. This setup has been running very solid and performs very well under Windows.

System Details
Old 12-22-2018, 09:32 AM

Yes, I mean trying to get a more pro level interface, I only have the stock plugins that cam with PT 12, so my little koweldge of plugins is that UA are some of the better ones?
But, you need more core power on the interface to run them.

I usually only have a 3 guitar tracks, bass, 3 or 4 tracks for drum clips, hopefully soon have superior drummer, and 1 to 3 vocal tracks.

Just making high quality demos at home.

I did not know about the Gigabyte and Motu , but I will read up on them today. I thought that USB was not worthy anymore so was willing to go to Thunderbolt 3 since from what I read everything will be going that way the new standard?

Thanks Junkgear
Old 12-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Universal Audio

Quote:
so my little koweldge of plugins is that UA are some of the better ones?
Yes, we'd like to think we make the best plugins around.

You need one of our interfaces to run them because they only run on our DSP.

Feel free to contact support for any other pre-sale questions you might have.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...ontact-Support

Also, you might visit our forum and ask for help from our large user base.

https://uadforum.com
Old 12-22-2018, 10:36 AM

Sorry if this is a bit hijacking but seeing this is a T3 thread I need some advice from you guys and hopefully UA can chime in aswell:

Have 1 Apolld X8 and a Twin MK2 and an Satellite Quad in a thunderbolt chain here at home. We have 2 X8P and 1 Apollo X16 and 1 Satellite Octo in the studio but haven’t tested this issue there yet.

So I have two of the Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapters from the X8 as the Twin doesn’t have two ports so the chain is done so the X8 is run into the Mac Pro late 2013 and the Twin into the Satellite and the Satellite into the X8.

When using the Console 2 mixer I can only get :

Fender Tweed in unison mode
EMT 250
Pultec EQ1A

And then ”maybe” one more low CPU plugin on one track in the Console 2 mixer before we get a error disabling one or more plugins with the error - PGM/MEM or running out of processor power which would be an impossible situation with all those Shark and HEXA processors so whats up with that !?

I read somewhere that in Console mixer only 1 shark processor is used per track allowing for maybe 2 or 3 larger CPU use plugins like a Unison and a few of the mid size plugins ... is this right or do I have damaged units here??

If thats the function of the Console then why is the limit soo poor when the new HEXA X8 processors are supposed to be 50% more power on them?

How does the Console choose which processor is used as if it uses the older Shark processors from the Twin Duo or Satellite Octo or the new Hexa processors fro the X8 on the 4 Preamp tracks first?

Can anyone please explain this as I was a 12 yo boy and if anyone has the new X8 or X6 and a Satellite box and or a Apollo Twin Duo on the same setup who can test this I would be very very greatful

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-23-2018, 05:13 AM
Universal Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

I read somewhere that in Console mixer only 1 shark processor is used per track allowing for maybe 2 or 3 larger CPU use plugins like a Unison and a few of the mid size plugins ... is this right or do I have damaged units here??

If thats the function of the Console then why is the limit soo poor when the new HEXA X8 processors are supposed to be 50% more power on them?
Yes, each Console input is limited to 1 chip. Apollo X didn't change this. Hexa just refers to it having 6 chips. (Solo, Duo, Quad, Hexa, Octo), these aren't different chips.

You can "double" the DSP by routing your signal to an Aux and adding more plugins there. This signal can then be recorded in the DAW.

Last edited by UniversalAudio; 12-23-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, I mean trying to get a more pro level interface, I only have the stock plugins that cam with PT 12, so my little koweldge of plugins is that UA are some of the better ones?

I usually only have a 3 guitar tracks, bass, 3 or 4 tracks for drum clips, hopefully soon have superior drummer, and 1 to 3 vocal tracks.

Just making high quality demos at home.

I did not know about the Gigabyte and Motu , but I will read up on them today. I thought that USB was not worthy anymore so was willing to go to Thunderbolt 3 since from what I read everything will be going that way the new standard?

Thanks Junkgear
The UA interfaces are excellent choices and TB will certainly give you the best performance. For what you are doing, it sounds like the Apollo would be a great choice and includes the plugins you would need for guitar, bass, vocals and drum processing.

System Details
Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalAudio View Post
Yes, each Console input is limited to 1 chip. Apollo X didn't change this. Hexa just refers to it having 6 chips. (Solo, Duo, Quad, Hexa, Octo), these aren't different chips.

You can "double" the DSP by routing your signal to an Aux and adding more plugins there. This signal can then be recorded in the DAW.
Thanks! This is good info!