Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-05-2002, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Peter & Roy\'s PTLe Shootout 1: ~FINAL RESULTS~

[Just so I am not toooo AS, good work to everyone and it seems that Roy and Peter took some time and made serious honest assesments. Good going to everyone.]

I have never been the sort to believe that you have to be as good or better than others to be a critic. If so Ebert and Ropert wouldn't have jobs....not very many critics would actualy.

That said, I feel like throwing my own opinions in the mix.

But then I decided to spare everyone that read and simply say that my own opinions differ greatly.

I think a lot of this has to do with personal taste, even most of the technical descussions, but not all, seemed rather personal to me.

My own personal opinion is that simple is as simple does, and the minor backing to major vox made the lyric barable.

So, I personaly enjoyed Torment v2&1 the best. And that just happend to be there in the way.

Way to go Ben!
Old 10-05-2002, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRedButton:
Holy Cow!

I feel like Madonna or something. Hearing my vocal track mixed, remixed and tweaked six ways to Sunday was way too cool. Really you guys, I'm humbled and feel very fortunate to have taken place in this shootout!

Props to ALL of you for your hard work and creativity! Who would have thought that we'd hear everything from piano ballads to techno, synth pop to folk rock all from ONE vocal track!

Thanks to Peter & Roy! In my opinion you guys hit the nail on the head with your reviews, and I agree with almost all of your observations. I found it interesting that there were so many common threads within the songs, like the assumption that the verses were in a minor key due to the sullen sound of the melody. However, I thought there would be at least a few entries that would end up sounding like my original track. Much to my surprise and delight, NONE of them sounded at all like my track. How cool!

I'd love to get all of your thoughts on hearing my track after working on your own arrangements!

All of you should be very proud; you all have bright futures ahead of you!

Thanks again for a really fun ride!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">BRB,
Iloved your chorus.It definetly ROCKS.Overall I liked your Production the best.When the chorus comes in it definetly kicks.Really good production.The verses sound a little bit Like a John Waite tune in the arrangement (not the melody)I think your chorus with my verse arrangement would offer an interesting contrast.Thanks for doing this It was the most fun I have had with PT yet andI did learn alot.See you in round 2.Stu [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Seven:
Roy -- a 1 on timing an tuning????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Darren,
The reason for the low score is twofold. One, is that the stressed acoustic guitar is rushed. And either you played it rushed every single time, or you pasted a rushed sample onto each place it happens.
The second reason, is that the power chords in the chorus are slightly flat. The clearest place to hear it, is right at the end of the first chorus, going into the second verse.
I suppose I could have given you a 2, but these flaws would still be there in Timing and Tuning.

Sorry, but I was told to be harsh, to help you see what could be improved. And, thus the score.

~Roy

p.s. Thanks everyone for your patience and please know that this was tough, to have to judge friends' mixes without being bias.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:42 PM

Roy- I appreciate, more than you realize, the straight foward, no holds barred, critique. People pay good money for honest expert feedback like this and you are absolutely correct about both points in my mix, thank you. Again, both you guys are highly valued as well as your opinions. This has been much fun and growth.

DV
Old 10-05-2002, 06:04 PM

Wow,
What a great thread! The comments on this will go on a long time for sure...

Having listened only once to each version, as well as the original, I must say that I heard and saw talent, originality and vision in each and every one of them. True, we're all going to have favorites, and some that we don't like much at all, but I am awe struck at how much energy, certainty, and talent each one of them showed me. Please remember that the judges have their values also. Do not let any of their comments deter you from going your own direction. (Specifically, Roy's contnued comments about major/minor problems are, to me, not warranted, but then, I'm not the judge.) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And while I have no real issues with the final order, I would also say to those brave enough to compete, you all did great stuff! With all respect due to BRB who provided a measurably great starting point, I think many of you found positions of artistic value that, for me, went well beyond the original. The energy you invested, and the amount you opened yourselves up here, let me see just how far different visions can take a great starting point. Cheers to you one and all.

In the end, my words mean absolutely nothing as we are all just individual judges caught up in our own situations. Some of us produce others, some of us write jingles, and some of us sit at play with no real responsibilites in this world. So what? What I did glimpse, in this last hour, is how much talent I have to opportunity to commune with here. And I notice that every participant, one and all, are some of our more quiet members! The true lions lie in wait to show us their strengths. It is evidenced here today. This is very impressive indeed.

With best regards and deep respect,
Mark

Darren,
My only comment would be 'Don't take it to heart.'

Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy Howell:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Mr_Seven:
Roy -- a 1 on timing an tuning????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Darren,
<SNIP>Sorry, but I was told to be harsh<SNIP>
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 10-05-2002, 06:15 PM

TED here....I just want you to know I totalled my dad's Mustang going WAY over the speed limit years ago....It scared me....I can't believe how much thought and time went into these critiques and am very impressed...Hat's off to an incredible job...I'm still downloading, you know...phone modem...Anyway what I've heard so far is really great work....This has been really rewarding for me and I encourage everyone to join in the next one! Roy and Peter says "Oh Yeah, another one" sigh.....
Old 10-05-2002, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:
[QB](Specifically, Roy's contnued comments about major/minor problems are, to me, not warranted, but then, I'm not the judge.) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mark,
Let me ask you something. If you were asked to be a judge in this, and you were to comment on each separate mix, what would you say about a major key melody within a minor key? Nothing? Would you say it once somewhere and hope that those who didn't recognize it when they wrote the music, would somehow know you were referring to their piece?
I'm curious, because we worked very hard on this, and your comment is more unwarranted than me doing my job.
Please answer...I'm curious...

~Roy
Old 10-05-2002, 06:25 PM

Hello Roy,
I'd just like to say I recognized it (Major/Minor)...Didn't you hear that bass slide I put in there to try to cover it up? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But your keen ears are too good for me...Again, Great job with the critique....

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy Howell:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:
[QB](Specifically, Roy's contnued comments about major/minor problems are, to me, not warranted, but then, I'm not the judge.) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mark,
Let me ask you something. If you were asked to be a judge in this, and you were to comment on each separate mix, what would you say about a major key melody within a minor key? Nothing? Would you say it once somewhere and hope that those who didn't recognize it when they wrote the music, would somehow know you were referring to their piece?
I'm curious, because we worked very hard on this, and your comment is more unwarranted than me doing my job.
Please answer...I'm curious...

~Roy
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 10-05-2002, 06:31 PM

Thank you Moonmusic, and thank you so much, Darren, for your understanding.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:16 PM

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I fought the law, and the law won.

Downloading other entries now.. this should be interesting.