Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2000, 09:42 PM

Default results:Mic shootout for voiceover

Well, I did a shootout at the local shop tonight and here are the results. (see other post relating to this) The mics tested were the Neumman U-87, Neumman TLM-103, the Mouse, Blueberry and Dragonfly from BLUE, the Rode NT2 and the AT4033 from Audio Technica.

Here's the signal chain: The mic (duh), an Avalon 737 mic-pre and compressor, a Pro Controller into a an 888 and back to the board. Monitors were Genelecs (the larger ones -1032's I believe)

The same script was read (ad infinitum) by a female voice talent and yours truly on all the mics.

In a nutshell - The U87 was silky, but much better on the female voice than on mine. Quite nice, but not, (perhaps) worth the price differential.

The "Mouse" from BLUE appeared to be designed for something other than spoken voice. No bottom end, and a very hyped top end - might be good for TV VO though.

The "Blueberry" was quite neutral and uncolored. If one were looking for no added flavor of any type, this might be the best mic in the lot.

The AT4033 (used here for comparison to the AT4050 that I currently know so well) was very midrangey. And, surprisingly, a little nasal and honky. That sound might be accentuated by the 888 A/D converters in my experience, but the others showed none of this coloration.

The Rode NT2 did not fare well in comparison, and perhaps the comparison was unfair given the mic's price range. Compared to the other mics for the purpose at hand it sounded the most like a dynamic mic. I wouldn't say that it sounded bad or poor, but just not in the same league. The top end was missing and there appeared to be some nasty transients in the lower midrange. Probably an outstanding mic for electric guitar.

The Dragonfly from BLUE and the TLM103 were the clear winners in the lot. The TLM 103 was the most forgiving between male and female voices. It added a nice contour in the low end and, while having a great presence in the top, it was not a sibilant mic on either voice.

The Dragonfly was really complex and interesting. It offered great presence on the bottom end for a male voice (along with a natural but extended top)and perhaps a little too much boom for a female. It wasn't as smooth as the TL-103 but I wouldn't say that was a knock against it in the least. This is a mic with character. Essentially it comes down to "how spicy do you like your food?" This mic adds cayenne and does so unabashedly. The Neumann has a more deft touch that would appeal to someone preferring a little more restraint.

(of course, your results amy vary, see dealer for details......)

I might be able to post some mp3's of the individual sound files at a website like "Driveway" or something if the system administrator is comfortable with the idea of my posting the link for that, and there is sufficient interest from those who record VO.

Please let me know on this post and we'll progress accordingly.

Cheers,

Dawg
Old 06-20-2000, 09:53 PM

Default Re: results:Mic shootout for voiceover

I use a 4050 w/ a summit pre at work for voiceovers, at home I've done a few voiceovers with my 103 & a demeter blue "h" series pre.

Personally I like the 103 & demeter better, but I haven't tried the 103 with the summit