Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 01-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Default Multiple iLok Cloud Sessions

We have 35 individual Pro Tools Licenses in the iLok Account of our College, which are activated on individual iLok Dongles. If I deactivate them from the iLoks and put them back into the account, so they are available to log in via the iLok Cloud (Open Cloud Session)., would it be possible to open as many Cloud Sessions as there are licenses in the Account? Each student computer then doesn't need the iLok and would just login through the iLok Cloud.

The Knowledge Base lists the following explanation

Q: Can multiple licenses for the same product be allocated to iLok Cloud?
A: Yes, when a Cloud Session is initiated any available licenses will be allocated to the Cloud Session. Multiple Pro Tools licenses of various types might all be allocated to the Cloud Session, which means they won't be available to move to an iLok. For this reason it is important that you move licenses to physical iLoks before initiating the Cloud Session. If a Cloud Session is already open you will need to Close Cloud Session, then allocate the licenses to physical iLoks, then Open Cloud Session again.

If I understand that correctly, it should work. Every time a student launches Pro Tools and clicks the Activate button using the iLok account, it should use any of the available Licenses. Theoretically, there can be as many students using Pro Tools on their computer as unactivated Licenses are available in the iLok account.

BUT:
When I try this, it is not working and it seems only one Licenses can be activated in the Cloud. Using the Cloud to activate Pro Tools at launch will show an error message with the name of the computer that currently uses that one Cloud Session. If I use that Cloud Session, the previous computer revokes the license of the currently running Pro Tools.

BTW, the terminology of "Open Cloud Session" and "Close Cloud Session" is one of those genius confusing Avid terminology. Why don't they call it what it is, a "Cloud Activation". A Session in Pro Tools is a very specific thing and that has nothing to do with the authentication. Even worth, a "Cloud Session" exist already, technically. It is a "Project", a Session that is stored in the Cloud, on Avid's Server. Just saying.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Multiple iLok Cloud Sessions

This isn't the answer you are hoping for, but from avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/iLok-Cloud-FAQ...

Quote:
Q: How many Pro Tools systems can be licensed simultaneously with iLok Cloud?
A: Only one instance of Pro Tools can be used with iLok Cloud licenses at a time per iLok Account. If a second Pro Tools system is logged in to an iLok Cloud Session on the same account the first system will be logged out.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
This isn't the answer you are hoping for, but from avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/iLok-Cloud-FAQ...

Than why you guys post this confusing FAQ on your website that tells the opposite.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/iLok-Cloud-FAQ

Q: Can multiple licenses for the same product be allocated to iLok Cloud?
A: Yes, when a Cloud Session is initiated any available licenses will be allocated to the Cloud Session.

So let me repeat:
...any available license will be allocated to the Cloud Session.

If I have 35 Pro Tools Licenses in my iLok Account, then any means "any of the 35 Pro Tools Licences will be available on the Cloud". However, the reality is that only one License of multiple Licenses will be available in the Cloud at one time.
English is not my first language, so maybe there is some English Grammar trickery that I don't understand.

Please enlighten me.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
Please enlighten me.

The way I read it, any (and every) license that's available (not already machine or iLok authorized) will be allocated to the cloud session. Essentially, since you're only allowed one cloud session, all 35 of your Pro Tools licenses are being allocated to the one session.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
The way I read it, any (and every) license that's available (not already machine or iLok authorized) will be allocated to the cloud session. Essentially, since you're only allowed one cloud session, all 35 of your Pro Tools licenses are being allocated to the one session.
Having all 35 Licenses allocated to 1 Session doesn't make much sense, because you need only one License. So it looks like Avid/PACE haven't thought that through
Old 01-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Sorry if the FAQ isn't clear enough - I'll get that edited ASAP. The point of that Q/A is really about needing to Close Cloud Session to be able to activate a license to an iLok - can't just drag it from Cloud to iLok like you can between iLoks.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 AM

From my limited understanding, no it won't work.

I think "Protools licenses of various types" simply means Protools, Digi-link, plugins, etc. The answer to the very first FAQ is "Only one instance of Pro Tools can be used with iLok Cloud license at a time per iLok Account". Which in your case is not helpful being that you will not be able to run 35 separate iCloud authorized computers at the same time.

Maybe this is something that Avid could/should implement for people that own multiple Protools licenses or at least update/re-word the FAQ.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Sorry if the FAQ isn't clear enough - I'll get that edited ASAP. The point of that Q/A is really about needing to Close Cloud Session to be able to activate a license to an iLok - can't just drag it from Cloud to iLok like you can between iLoks.
Any chance you also let the responsible people know that the term "Cloud Session" is really bad idea.

As I pointed out already, this is a "Cloud Activation" then why not call it that way. You activate a License in the Cloud instead of the iLok Dongle. It is so obvious to use that term "Cloud Activation", why did they think is a good idea to use an existing term, "Session", that means something specific and confuse it with that.
The actual Pro Tools Session cares less about how the Pro Tools app was verified (through iLok Dongle or Cloud). And again, a "Cloud Session" is a Pro Tools Session that is stored in the Cloud and is called a "Project".
Old 01-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
From my limited understanding, no it won't work.

Maybe this is something that Avid could/should implement for people that own multiple Protools licenses or at least update/re-word the FAQ.
I never understand those decisions. If Avid/PACE come up such a Cloud feature that, I'm sure is a huge undertaking to implement and make it work, why don't they look at the big picture of all the implementations (maybe a later implementation)?

The multi-seat companies and all the education market with Pro Tools classrooms is a big segment for Avid and those customers could benefit big time from such an implementation (and many users mentioned that in the other thread). Having a mini-safe attached to each desk in the classroom that has Pro Tools installed, just to put in the iLok is just messy. A CLoud Activation solution would make so much more sense.

The only workaround in a scenario with a classroom of 25 Pro Tools computers is to move 25 Pro Tools Licenses to 25 separate iLok Accounts, so each iLok account has one PT License that can be made available as a Cloud Activation.
But, transferring a License is $25 a pop, so we talk about $625 just for that inconvenience ... oh, I see ... Is that the reason for the limitation. The beancounters at Avid found another way to nickel-and-dime the user and squeeze out a few extra bucks.

BTW, even if we would create separate iLok accounts, does that mean we also have to create separate Avid Master Accounts, or can you deposit Licenses that are in your Avid Master Account to different iLok Accounts. Never thought about that.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:21 PM

There's nothing wrong with the term as it is a "cloud authorized session". I feel the iLok Cloud feature was armed at those single end users such as myself who go back and forth from the main computer to a laptop and would rarely(if ever) need two or more licenses to run at the same time. I love the cloud feature especially that it came at a time when I was thinking about buying a second license to make things easy for me when I was on the go. I'm still hoping and waiting for those plugin manufacturers to jump onboard if they don't offer dual plugin authorizations.

In your case, maybe the fix from Avid or iLok could be:
"Protool iLok Cloud session 1 of 35", "Protools iLok Cloud session 2 of 35", etc.

Not sure how easy the feature could be added or if it had already been tested and strapped due to problems.

I do have one recent problem with the iLok could feature though. On Ultimate 2018.12(iLok Manager 5.0 mac) if I have a Protools iLok Cloud session running on computer 1 and I start Protools iLok Cloud on computer 2, I will get the "Protools has unexpectedly quit" crash on computer 1. I just have to remember to log off and not have sessions opened on my other computer. It use to give you the option to save the session you already had opened but now it just crashes.