Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2015, 03:33 PM

Default Move to PTX from HD2 [solved]

Hi,

I am currently using an HD 2 Accel system on PT HD 8 and a Digidesign 192 Analog I/O 16x16.

I am looking for upgrading to HDX. There are some exchange offers. I think I will prefer ''AVID HD2 -> HDX + Omni Exchange or Only HDX PCIe''. This means, I want to continue with my 192 I/O because of its 16 analog input. Can I use the Omni interface and my 192 together as linked?

And also, there is an explanation on the Avid site;

We also want to let you know that Pro Tools | HD 10 will be the last feature release to support Pro Tools|HD Accel systems and legacy Pro Tools | HD interfaces. Rest assured, we will continue to support your hardware through software maintenance updates for the next three years, and offer hardware repair and phone support for the next five years.

Well, it makes me confused about my 192. Does Avid continue to support my 192 only for three years even I exchange to HDX card? or is the three year limit for the hardwares on HD Accel systems?

Another question; I record time to time, but I am mostly mixing. My Mac Pro silver is not powerful. 4x2.26, 8GB RAM. So, I cannot work without DSP cards. That's why I don't think of the HD Native system. But for my case, which exchange offer would be the best for me? I can also just upgrade to PT HD 10 software and work with my old system for maybe a few years more.

I'd appreciate if you will help me. Cheers...

Last edited by orc; 12-24-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: I edited my exchange option.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Move to PTX from HD2

The 192 will work with the HDX/Omni combo unless you have pulled the Digital card from it.

Without the Digital I/O card the 192 can not clock to another interface in the system

The support is from the date of that announcement about 4 years ago.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-24-2015, 05:34 PM

Thank you Craig.

Sorry, I could be misunderstood What I understood is that the 192 will role as a converter and the Omni will be the interface (monitoring) unless I pulled the digital card of the 192. Is this correct?

And, I assume that the 192 will work with Pro tools HD12+HDX card. But what did you mean with ''it was four years ago''? There won't be a time limit for my 192, right?
Old 12-24-2015, 06:39 PM

You are trying to use a 192 IO and an Omni, in a HD rig. Both are interfaces. Regardless of what you are doing with them. For the 192 IO to work with other boxes you must have the digital IO card installed in it. Some folks pull those digital cards out and use as a single 192 IO box on a HD system. But that card is needed if you want any multi-box system to work.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:40 PM

the 5 years of support was stated about 4 years ago, their is only about a year left if it brakes that Avid will try and fix it

both the Omni and the 192 are interfaces and connect to the HDX card via the Digilink cable so they need to resolve Loop Sync Master, the 192 can not do that with the Digital I/O card removed

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-25-2015, 02:11 AM

I got it now. Thanks you all for the help.