Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-17-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Latency problem with 6.4

I need some help with 6.4. I just upgraded from 6.1 and at the same time upgraded to
the Waves Gold plugins. I now have a latency problem. I am running on an AMD Athlon 2400+ with
1 GB of RAM. I am getting a fatal exception error when I close PTLE now along with some memory
errors.

Does the new upgrade fix this? Should I add more memory? Should I go back to 6.1? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Latency problem with 6.4

Neither of those things (6.4 or Waves Gold) cause a latency problem (what do you mean by that?), and 1G of memory is way more than enough for ProTools. Beyond 512M really only benefits you if you're also running sample players like SampleTank, Kontakt, Reason - and loading up large samples.

Was your system stable prior to these upgrades? Does PTLE always crash on exit, or does it depend on what plugins you've used?

You could try running ProTools without loading any plugins (by temporarily renaming the plugins folder to something different), and see if it exits correctly. If yes, you can try adding one plugin at a time back into the correct plugins folder to see which is causing the trouble.

Well, I've got no solution, but you've got something to try. BTW, I use Waves Gold (v5) and 6.4 on an Athlon XP 1700+ (overclocked to 2.0Ghz) and it all works pretty well.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:20 PM

2 things to think about. 1-is your machine connected to the internet(maybe Windows did an automatic update and installed SP2). You should download and install the cs7 or cs9 update.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-18-2004, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the reply! What I mean by latency is this. When recording a track live there is a slight delay between recording and hearing it back throught the digi 002. This was resovled in 6.1 by changing the playback buffers. It really doesn't effect it in 6.4. Basically this means that I can not record with any plugins active now. Severe bummer.

The system was stable before the upgrade to 6.4 and Waves Gold. I think the idea of changing the directory name and running PTLE is great. That will eliminate one direction. Is it hard to go backwards back to 6.1 if I need to?

Thanks!

Quote:
Neither of those things (6.4 or Waves Gold) cause a latency problem (what do you mean by that?), and 1G of memory is way more than enough for ProTools. Beyond 512M really only benefits you if you're also running sample players like SampleTank, Kontakt, Reason - and loading up large samples.

Was your system stable prior to these upgrades? Does PTLE always crash on exit, or does it depend on what plugins you've used?

You could try running ProTools without loading any plugins (by temporarily renaming the plugins folder to something different), and see if it exits correctly. If yes, you can try adding one plugin at a time back into the correct plugins folder to see which is causing the trouble.

Well, I've got no solution, but you've got something to try. BTW, I use Waves Gold (v5) and 6.4 on an Athlon XP 1700+ (overclocked to 2.0Ghz) and it all works pretty well.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:55 AM

I did eliminate that as a direction and potential problem. Have you used SP2 with these updates? I actually did load it and had the problems everyone is talking about, then went back to SP1 and was OK. I did notice when I loaded 6.4, that the system loaded an update for the digi002 as well. I thought that was kind of wierd. This was a separate installation that I was prompted for. Also, my system is now very slugish when PTLE is loaded, like all of the RAM is full.

Thanks

Quote:
2 things to think about. 1-is your machine connected to the internet(maybe Windows did an automatic update and installed SP2). You should download and install the cs7 or cs9 update.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:29 PM

On a ProTools LE system that's running correctly (any version), the latency is almost entirely dependent on your setting for H/W buffer. Plugins usually have no effect on latency, except when their CPU usage gets high enough that low H/W buffer settings don't work.

You mention 'playback buffers'. If you mean the DAE Playback Buffer, you should just leave that at the default: 2; this one doesn't affect latency.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:49 PM

At this point I have tried the waves subdirectory change and the system has sped up quite a bit. It seems that PT loads every plugin at the beggining. I did upgrad to the latest version of 6.4 cs9. That didn't make a difference at all. I am beginning to feel like I need to go back to 6.1.
Also, when I installed the update to 6.4 I remember that there was some sort of 002 update happening. Do you know anything about that? Maybe that is where my problem lies. Thanks for your help and feeback