Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2018, 03:39 PM

Default Send has advanced latency compared to track

I'm having a hard time doing something I've done a lot before with no problem.

I have a voice track with three plugins on it. There's a send that goes to an Aux with a reverb on it. For some reason the send seems to be getting the audio ahead of all the plugins, giving me a pre-echo effect even if the reverb plugin is muted. I can even see in the send meter that it's ahead. If I deactivate all the plugins on the voice track the latency difference vanishes. So, if you will, the track audio is behind by the expected latency of the plugins. Why is the send not?

Is there some buried checkbox that accidentally got set or unset? This is weird and frustrating. No idea why it's happening now and not all the other times I've used the same trick. A reverb return is hardly exotic.

Craig Good
Teller of stories, some of them true.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Send has advanced latency compared to track

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgood View Post
I'm having a hard time doing something I've done a lot before with no problem.

I have a voice track with three plugins on it. There's a send that goes to an Aux with a reverb on it. For some reason the send seems to be getting the audio ahead of all the plugins, giving me a pre-echo effect even if the reverb plugin is muted. I can even see in the send meter that it's ahead. If I deactivate all the plugins on the voice track the latency difference vanishes. So, if you will, the track audio is behind by the expected latency of the plugins. Why is the send not?

Is there some buried checkbox that accidentally got set or unset? This is weird and frustrating. No idea why it's happening now and not all the other times I've used the same trick. A reverb return is hardly exotic.
what plugins do you have and what is the total latency induced by them ?? and does this change when you select Pre or Post Fader on the Send in question ??

i cannot reproduce here right now - working as it should - just gets a little louder when i unmute the Aux track .. with a plugin with 2048 samples .. and i have changed the Send from pre to post and back with no change ..

what am i doing wrong ???

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-31-2018, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Send has advanced latency compared to track

Edit:

I may have worked around it by sending the voice track (and some other things, coincidentally) to an aux track which, in turn now has the reverb send on it. But I still don't understand what's going on, and why it seems that Sends don't appear to be downstream of all the plugins on that track.

Craig Good
Teller of stories, some of them true.