Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-20-2019, 11:07 PM

Default Pro Tools cannot find (all) my aax plugins.

Pro Tools 2018.12.0 cannot find (all) my aax plugins.

I created a folder called "Sound Libraries" on Drive D:

In this folder I have installed "Structure" and "Velvet"
They are located in D:\Sound Libraries\Digidesign\AIR Content\Structure
....and in D:\Sound Libraries\Digidesign\AIR Content\Velvet

In the same directory are: D:\Sound Libraries\Air Music Technologies\Xpand2 (and Factory Content)

Pro Tools is searhing for Sound Libraries in D: Sound Libraries

However, Pro Tools only shows Xpand2 in the instrument list, while Velvet and Structure are not found.
I guess the missing plugins are installed to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins
...but how do I tell Pro Tools where to look for them?

And when Pro Tools eventually finds them, how do I tell the plugins, where the sound libraries are?

Thank you
Jesper
Old 05-20-2019, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools cannot find (all) my aax plugins.

What *exactly* are you doing? Are you trying to insert the VIs on stereo instrument tracks?

Did you run all installers? And they finished OK?

Are the .aaxplugin files for those plugins in the plugin folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins). Don't guess, check with the Windows desktop UI that they are there and tell us what you find.

If so, try trashing prefs (if you have never done that read about it under troubleshooting steps under "Help Us Help You" up the top of each DUC web page, but in practice use this tool: https://www.pro-tools-pc.us/category-s/1514.htm)

Do you see the plugin load in the splash screen when Pro Tools starts up?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-20-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:00 AM

Making your own folders and moving content from VI and Plugins is never gonna be a great idea!

Just let the installers put the content in the correct folders and leave it alone and as Darryl mentions NEVER move the AAX files anywhere.

Try reinstalling the VI that you cant find and leave the content alone and see if PT finds them again.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-21-2019, 02:55 AM

Don’t move the plugins. Content/libraries can reside on different drives, but not the actual AAX plugins.

As others have pointed out, they need to stay where they are installed to by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperT View Post
...I created a folder called "Sound Libraries" on Drive D:
For your Samples drive, the shorter the path, the better.
Put all AIR Content (the ‘.big’ Files) in a Folder called AIR Music Technology in your Samples drive:
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content
Before installing, create individual Folders (Structure, Velvet, Xpand2, etc.) within your AIR Content Folder, so you can “point” to this location, when prompted for Content location. Each has its own Folder:
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\AIR Expansion Packs
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\Boom
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\DB-33
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\Hybrid
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\Ignite
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\Loom
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\Mini Grand
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\Strike
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\Transfuser
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\VacuumPro
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\Velvet
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\XPand2

For Structure:
D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\Structure\Structure Factory Libraries
Place the ‘Structure Encrypted Samples’ Folder in the ‘Structure Factory Libraries’ Folder. Hence: D:\AIR Music Technology\AIR Content\Structure\Structure Factory Libraries\Structure Encrypted Samples

Any AIR Music Technology Presets that you create and save go here:
C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings
For example:
C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Pro Tools\Plug-In Settings\Structure

By default, as Darryl mentioned, all AAX 64 Plug-Ins are individually installed to:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins
Gather all the AIR Plug-Ins and place them in the one Folder:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins\AIR Music Technology
Then, in Pro Tools, you can choose ‘Sort by Manufacturer’.

Hope this helps – and - welcome to the DUC!
Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Hi all of you. I Am SO grateful for your help. It seems like you know what you are doing and that you know eachother. I am musician/ composer, but my IT skills is on a very low level. I always got help from friends but... I am changing from Mac (2009) to a new PC. For weeks I have tried to find out how to get my Mac Recording harddrive and my Mac Data hard drive to work on my windows 10 PC. A friend told me to get the free version of Macdrive but not how to use it ? Now Macdrive has expired and there is an Macdrive icon on every file on my PC Data hard drive and my PC Recording hard drive, and it tells me, that I have to use Macdrive to open it ? I hope that you can help me open my two Harddrives. Right now I only have the system hard drive to work with ?
Do you think I can use the data from my Mac plugins on the PC. I have plug ins like Berlin Strings , Cine Strings, Hollywood choir/ East West etc which work with Native acces.
Thank you so much for your willingness to help
The very best regards
Jesper
PS. I am from Denmark and english is not my first language
Old 05-21-2019, 12:09 PM

I am from Windows and Mac is not my first language (!) – hopefully one (or both) of the Mac gurus (Darryl Ramm and Southsidemusic) can help you with this.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Hi all of you. I Am SO grateful for your help. It seems like you know what you are doing and that you know eachother. I am musician/ composer, but my IT skills is on a very low level. I always got help from friends but... I am changing from Mac (2009) to a new PC. For weeks I have tried to find out how to get my Mac Recording harddrive and my Mac Data hard drive to work on my windows 10 PC. A friend told me to get the free version of Macdrive but not how to use it ? Now Macdrive has expired and there is an Macdrive icon on every file on my PC Data hard drive and my PC Recording hard drive, and it tells me, that I have to use Macdrive to open it ? I hope that you can help me open my two Harddrives. Right now I only have the system hard drive to work with ?
Do you think I can use the data from my Mac plugins on the PC. I have plug ins like Berlin Strings , Cine Strings, Hollywood choir/ East West etc which work with Native acces.
The very best regards
Jesper
Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM

Hi Unkje. So much thanks to you
Best Jesper
Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperT View Post
As general advice I would not try moving VI libraries between machines when doing a new install on a very different computer. Download the latest installers or (if you have to order replacement install media in the correct Windows compatible format consider doing that). Take this opportunity to get everything up to date and done with full clean installs.

--

If you are moving from mac to PC you do *not* need to purchase and use third party file systems tools to transfer sessions. The easiest way to do this is to set up network file sharing between the Mac and new PC and then just drag sessions between machines. Or just use a USB memory stick formatted as exFAT. exFAT filesystems are readable and writable in Mac and PC, you cannot run session on them, but you can move sessions between computers in a exFAT memory stick, just drag and drop. Most USB sticks come preformatted as exFAT today, or if you need to reformat one there are lots of online instructions.

Folks who really need third party tools are studios and post houses and others, who may need to be able to accept work from clients and collaborators on external drives. And some of that desire goes back to when we all needed to have expensive external HDDs and they were the only way to move things around.

If you are not computer savvy I would not be looking at adding third party filesystems, you are just helping make stuff more complex for yourself.. And back to other topics in this thread.. I would be doing as standard as possible installs of plugins and VIs and following install documentation where you can find it. Being not computer savvy, all these little things you try are likely to cause you problems. KISS : Keep it Stupidly Simple (or Simpel Stupid).

You are talking about putting samples in D: etc. That may be the best thing to do, but I'd like to check why. Is your C: drive absolutely out of space? If you have a new PC lots of the gymnastics with dedicated hard drives needed in the past to get good disk performance may no longer be needed, and may give you worse performance, but space can be an issue--and I assume here is for you. Modern SSD (solid state drive) perfroamcen can be so fast that the best thing you might do is leave samples in the SSD boot drive. And SSD prices have fallen so much that you may be able to afford to do that even for large sample libraries. What exact make/model/spec drives does your system have? The best way to tell us is to run a SiSoft Sandra report with any external drives connected (you should get Sandra running anyhow in case you'll need help in future here)--and for the drive partitions show in the report let us know where you plan to put sessions, samples, etc. See instructions for using SiSoft Sandra under "help us help you" up the top of each web page and also search for other posts of Sandra reports on DUC so you see exactly what is expected when you post a report here.

Moving from a Mac you will need to work out how to backup/archive sessions and how to backup/clone boot drives. PC folks here tend to recommend Acronis. Do not overlook getting this working before you start using the PC for serious work.

Quote:
The very best regards
Jesper
You are doing fine.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-21-2019 at 01:51 PM.