Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Default CPU usage error?! System usage 2%...

Hello everyone,

I've read a couple of helpful posts on here before regarding Pro Tools and some troubleshooting ideas. I'm currently a little stuck at the minute so thought I'd join up and see if anyone could offer some help

First off here are my specs.. OS El Capitan 10.11.1, Macbook Pro (mid 2012), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, Avid Pro Tools 12.4.0, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Lacie external HD 1TB

I'm currently working on a project and was recording some simple guitar parts earlier today, I had two microphones running through my Saffire into PT12 with 0 plug-ins or any other tracks. I first encountered some problems getting my audio to play back (Stop icon kept flashing up as soon as I hit spacebar). I closed the session and looked the problem up online, I read somewhere that deleting the PT preferences can sometimes help with this? So I deleted a plist file in my Library.

On doing this I then had some issues with PT launching, I restarted my Mac and then PT launched fine - however now with the CPU usage error, I opened up my system usage and confirmed that it was at 1/2%. This is now happening in any session I open! Also worth noting that I am running the session from an external HD.

Feeling a bit peed off at the minute as I have had a couple of problems with PT12. I was only forced to upgrade from 10 when I spilt liquids on my old Macbook and was forced to buy a refurbished one which of course comes with the new OS which won't allow the installation of 10. My old Mac with a slightly lesser spec then this one handled it all fine with PT10 and the same hardware - even on an OS which wasn't really supported. Maybe it was deleting those preferences that has thrown the software? Either way seems less stable to me then PT10...

Anyway thanks for your time and I appreciate any help I can get!

P
Old 03-08-2016, 12:01 PM

Default Re: CPU usage error?! System usage 2%...

Welcome to the community.

I recommend that you use the PT Prefs Helper for PT-specific system maintenance. I also find that repairing disk permissions on the system drive (volume) with Disk Utility helps.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:18 PM

For what it's worth.

Mac's that are brand new like the latest models cannot have an OS installed lower than what is shipped. However, a model like the one you and I both have (Mid 2012 MacBook Pro) CAN have an OS installed lower than what was shipped.

The shipped OS only applies to brand new models. And I mean brand spankin' new

I can confirm this, when my work place bought a refurb Mid 2012 13'' i7 MacBook Pro that came with El Capitan, we were able to wipe the drive and install a fresh copy of Mavericks
Old 03-10-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
Welcome to the community.

I recommend that you use the PT Prefs Helper for PT-specific system maintenance. I also find that repairing disk permissions on the system drive (volume) with Disk Utility helps.
Thanks - I have now downloaded it and it seems to have done the job, thanks for the tip!

Also would like to add that OS Mavericks does not support PT10 - you have to go even further back!

All in all it was either try and wipe the disk on this mac and go through the pain of trying to install a much older OS which would ultimately end up causing a lot of other problems in the near future or stick with El Capitan and suck it up.