Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2014, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Avid Please Improve The Avid Core Audio Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Wow! Speaking of the old days. My first recording software was a program called Master Tracks Pro. It was midi only and it ran on a Atari computer (a mac clone). It had no hard drive. Every program was on a 3.5 floppy disc and the earlier version was 5 1/4 floppy disc but for its time it was very much the basics of what we have today and it was quite good I might add. It stored a lot of songs on that floppy disc. If I'm remembering correctly it was 64 midi tracks. What you would do is load the 3.5 program floppy disc which would load it in the temporary ram then you would put in a blank 3.5 floppy disc to save songs on. Click here to see some old pics of this software.http://tamw.atari-users.net/mtpro.htm I think it was made in the 80's. Many of the recording Softwares we have today pulled from these guys. I wouldn't be surprised to hear if Pro Tools was inspired from these guys.
You've got me beat on that one...I was using a 4-track cassette Tascam Porta Studio until 1993 when I stumbled across a program called Power Tracks Pro...it too was MIDI-only back then though it later added audio...it ran under MS-DOS, and I think I had a 20 MB hard drive on that machine. I used Power Tracks Pro off and on until 2007 when I got Pro Tools 7.4.

I haven't really worked even semi-seriously on music for years, but I'm going to be making a DAW switch this weekend and knuckle down and get busy.

I like Pro Tools and I'll still recommend it when it's the appropriate tool...it's just not the right tool for me and the stuff I'm going to be working on going forward.
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-31-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I haven't really worked even semi-seriously on music for years...
Then you might want to refrain from offering irrelevant/outdated advice. Those of us who work with ProTools everyday, especially to picture have just a tad more experience with how ProTools works these days. To not know the function of a given driver, especially the one being asked about by the OP begs the question why even offer in the first place?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If this is a bragging contest, I made a song at the age of 7 years using whopping Commodore64 (with 64kB memory and 8bit sounds) and that thing didn't have hard drive at all. It used C-cassettes for storage, initially, but later I got this amazing 360kB floppy drive.... After that, I was all for games
Wow! C-cassetes, Commodores64. I Forgot all about those guys. LOL! Yeah, the Atari was mostly used for games as well. I loved that thing. I really can't remember what happened to it. It would make a nice piece for the Museum. This is a picture of the unit I owned.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ri_1040STf.jpg
Old 12-31-2014, 12:48 PM

I still have a working C64 system stored somewhere, but sadly I believe all disks are destroyed since I haven't used them in 25 years. Okay, so much for it. It was fun back then :)
Old 12-31-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I still have a working C64 system stored somewhere, but sadly I believe all disks are destroyed since I haven't used them in 25 years. Okay, so much for it. It was fun back then :)
Talk to the analog tape guys...maybe you can bake your disks and keep them going!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-31-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah I had a Vic20 (6502 MOS) with the 8KB RAM extender and then the C64 (6510 MOS like the 6502 but with more I/O).... they were fun machines... I actually made a small amount of $ programming C64 display applications for text based cable news companies..... I had hair then too....
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 12-31-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
Godspeed and good luck with your next endeavor! cheers
Niner...

Thank you so much for your good wishes! This has not been the most pleasant thread I've ever been on, I made a stupid post and got nicked for it. C'est la vie.

Your words definitely cheered me up!

In truth, I'll still just be an old guy having fun in his basement...I'll just be using a different DAW. But...

You never know who's peeing next to you!

Allow me to first mention that I have a somewhat memorable speaking voice. I was a radio DJ for 11 years when I first got out of high school, so I still do the "speaking from the diaphragm and enunciating clearly" thing. But I spent the first 40 years of my life in the Deep South, so I also have a pronounced "Southern" accent. I can turn the "Southern" thing on and off at will (had to for radio), but a lot of women find Southern accents sexy, so I usually just leave it on. But it does give me a somewhat unique voice.

From 1989 - 1991 I lived in Richmond, VA. I spent most of my nights in a college bar about three blocks northwest of my apartment...Virginia Commonwealth University was another three blocks northwest.

The bar had some really great bands and an "open mic" night on Mondays, which was also $1.00 highball night. I kinda stuck out in the place since it was a college bar and I was in my early 40's, but I wasn't hitting on the college women, everybody knew I was there for the music, so things were cool. I played a lot of the open mic nights...usually drums, sometimes guitar.

I was in the bar one "open mic night"...I wasn't planning to play that night, and while I'm normally a beer drinker, for some reason I was knocking back $1.00 CC & Cokes. By 9:00 I was pretty toasted...the bar owner came over and asked me if I would take the 10:00-10:30 slot as somebody had cancelled. I'm going "I'm way too drunk to play"...the owner's going "You can pull it of"...I'm going "I never play drunk"...the owner goes "I'll cover your tab for the rest of the week". That would have been maybe $100 or so, so I went to my apartment and grabbed some gear.

I grabbed a guitar and amp, lyric sheets for eight or ten cover songs, for one cover I had rewritten to name-check some local places, and for an original named "At The Jade" that I had ironically written about the "open mic nights" at that bar. I name-checked all of the bars employees, some of the other musicians who played the open mics, and some of the regulars...one of the lines was, "Here's Amanda, check her out, got a condom on her ear"...it was name-checking one of the servers who sometimes wore an earring made out of a Trojan package.

I did my half-hour at 10:00 (not one of my better gigs), but that was the only time "At The Jade" was ever played in public.

October 2013 I was wandering around Downtown Pittsburgh and needed to make a pit stop...I stopped in a hotel bar and went to the men's room. I walked up to a vacant urinal...there was some dude standing at the next one...I made some comment about the weather or something, and the guy next to me said, "I know you...I recognize your voice!"

As we were washing our hands we chatted and tried to figure out where he knew me from...then he said, "You're the guy who sang the song about the condom earring in Richmond!" Turned out, he was a student at Virginia Commonwealth University all of those years ago, and he was in the audience the one and only time I played "At The Jade"

He asked me if I was still writing, I told him I had written three novels but I hadn't written any songs since the early 90's, but that I was going to try songwriting again in 2015. He said he was now in the music business in New York, gave me his email, and asked me to send him the lyrics to some of the 90's songs.

I sent him the lyrics to one I've always called my Barry Manilow song, "Reaching Out To Touch You) In My Dreams" and another one named "You Don't Like Me (Well Enough For Me To Sleep With You)".

In early December he got back to me...turns out he's doing a few publishing things...he gave me four "setups" for what seems like they will be jingles and asked me to send him some rough demos before the end of January. I checked him out...he's big enough to make it worth my while to do some rough demos, and since I'm going to be writing songs anyway, why not give it a shot?

I'm not out buying Porsche's or anything (I'm not that good a songwriter), but we'll see what happens.

So that is what my "next endeavor" will be...

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-31-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
you might wish to stop using the "Reply with quote" function, and instead copy the original post and paste it into your post...that way the information can't be deleted...
I don't like this suggestion, as proper quote gives more credibility than something like this:

Quote by JFreak:

"
You should never mix music with carrots in your ears and earplugs in your mouth.
"

While the self-created quote might be truthful, it just as well may not be. And If the original poster later on changes carrots to bananas, your quote would not reflect that change.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I don't like this suggestion, as proper quote gives more credibility than something like this:

Quote by JFreak:

"
You should never mix music with carrots in your ears and earplugs in your mouth.
"

While the self-created quote might be truthful, it just as well may not be. And If the original poster later on changes carrots to bananas, your quote would not reflect that change.
TON to mention that a Quote is not deleted (or changed if edited) if the original post is deleted (or edited), unless it is edited in every post that it was quoted in by the person who is deleting the original post.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-31-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Not to mention that a Quote is not deleted (or changed if edited) if the original post is deleted (or edited), unless it is edited in every post that it was quoted in by the person who is deleting the original post.
As an example here's the original quote.

Wave-T.com