How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 01-28-2019, 12:14 AM

Default Re: New CLA Plugin - Looks Very Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
It looks to me that most people really dig it over there. I agree with Simon who proposed to add the buckets to Scheps Omni Channel, I'd dare to say it would be awesome to see it with Scheps 73!
After reading further into the posts I came to the same conclusion.... spoke too soon. But there were a few.

Quote:
I would love to hear what you (and the others here) personally think once you try it. I love it, it's nothing I can't do with the E-Channel but now that I'm completely confortable with mixing without using the solo buttons I appreciate the boost the bucket system brings to the table.
Seems pretty sweet so far comes with a nice array of presets, to give you a starting point. Would be nice if it had a zero button. The manual seemed to suggest when you assign a PT track to one of the buckets the PT track takes on the colour of the bucket. Maybe I’m reading it wrong but it doesn’t work and that is a good thing too.

Apart from that yup I’m liking it. I don’t have a decent Chanel strip style plug and this one adds some nice colour and warmth to the various guitar and bass tracks I tried it on. Would love to play around with this on a live multi track drum mix, if anyone has one they could share
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 01-28-2019, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the link; hadn't thought to look in the NAMM section. Didn't this drop just before NAMM? Anyways it looks typical for a GS thread - some truth, some babble and some bugs not mentioned here.

QAPLA!
Old 01-28-2019, 04:44 AM

Results of further testing:
16 track version of Comfortably Numb with 10 plugins - Waves Abbey Road Plates, Brainworx bassdude, Abbey Roads J37, Abbey Roads Mastering TG etc. Overall cpu load mid 30's with a couple of cpu indications in the middle of the pack in mid 40's. Inserted 16 instances of CLA with all sections enabled. Hit play and instant 9173. Make them inactive and I get the old play/pause bug. Remove all CLA instances and same thing - play/pause bites me.

Closing and reopening the session had no effect. The only thing that cleared the play/pause bug for this session was to quit PT and restart it. No other session was affected.

This is the only time I have ever been bitten by this bug.

And as somebody mentioned earlier in bucket view you don't see whatever plugin you have in the open slot on the channel.

Close but no cigar.

Besides I have other SSL channel strips - both of the SSL-branded (E and G) from Plugin Alliance as well as their non-SSL branded E. And also have both of the SSL-type channel strips from IKMM. None of which come near the cpu usage of CLA.

One last test - on that 40 track Tubular Bells session I wrote about earlier - I inserted 40 instances of Scheps Omni Channel with all sections enabled AND all the other plugins I have in that session hit play and it worked flawlessly with a max overall cpu load bouncing between 40 and 50%

QAPLA!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 AM

Bye-bye Waves CLA - can't say it's been good knowing you.

Hasta la vista baby

QAPLA!
Old 01-28-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

Hasta la vista baby

I fully expected to run into CPU issues as I said earlier, because I have an older system badly in need of upgrading. And I also ran into the "blue" play/pause stop because I had too many instances for my system to handle. I used trackfreeze and that solved it.

That said, I still like the plug because I can hear a real difference in sound quality and I can see how it will be useful. So, I went ahead an got it. Spend $69 now, rather than $200+ later. I suspect there will be updates coming fairly soon as some bugs are being reported etc. CLA seems like the kind of guy who wants anything with his name on it to be as perfect as possible, so I don't think they'll lag getting bugs etc fixed and maybe even addressing the CPU issue.

One improvement that I'd like to see is some way to group all the channel faders in a bucket. In one session I set up 2 buckets: one for drums, one for synths. I wanted to pull back just the drums overall, like you would on a submix bus, but keep all the individual channel levels at the same config. There's no way to do that in a bucket. The solution is to still use the submix bus in PT. It'd be nice to not have to leave the bucket window at all and just do a one fader pull back of an entire section. Or maybe a VCA style fader added to the bucket.

Another improvement would be to allow the user to set the group colors. Small thing, I know, but I'd like my PT track colors to match. Makes it easier to id sections at a quick glance.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Hasta la vista baby
What happened Arnold?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I fully expected to run into CPU issues as I said earlier, because I have an older system badly in need of upgrading. And I also ran into the "blue" play/pause stop because I had too many instances for my system to handle. I used trackfreeze and that solved it.

That said, I still like the plug because I can hear a real difference in sound quality and I can see how it will be useful. So, I went ahead an got it. Spend $69 now, rather than $200+ later. I suspect there will be updates coming fairly soon as some bugs are being reported etc. CLA seems like the kind of guy who wants anything with his name on it to be as perfect as possible, so I don't think they'll lag getting bugs etc fixed and maybe even addressing the CPU issue.

One improvement that I'd like to see is some way to group all the channel faders in a bucket. In one session I set up 2 buckets: one for drums, one for synths. I wanted to pull back just the drums overall, like you would on a submix bus, but keep all the individual channel levels at the same config. There's no way to do that in a bucket. The solution is to still use the submix bus in PT. It'd be nice to not have to leave the bucket window at all and just do a one fader pull back of an entire section. Or maybe a VCA style fader added to the bucket.

Another improvement would be to allow the user to set the group colors. Small thing, I know, but I'd like my PT track colors to match. Makes it easier to id sections at a quick glance.
Hopefully Waves will fix this. I wonder how the beta testers let these things go without mentioning them? Or did Waves want to rush this out to catch NAMM fever?

The group colors thing would be a good idea. I do like one can rename each bucket to something like drums, etc except there's a limit of six characters and CLA truncates the names however it sees fit. I had one I wanted to name 'strings' and CLA truncated it to 'strings'.

QAPLA!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
What happened Arnold?
I Terminated the program

QAPLA!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I always wanted a plug like this - that would allow you to adjust plugins without opening and closing plugin windows:

https://www.waves.com/plugins/cla-mi...ab-included-in
To be honest, I'm beginning ti think that all DAWs should have some unified mixer view like this, even for 3rd party plugins.

I've got to say that I'm now wishing the Scheps Omni had buckets as well!!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Hopefully Waves will fix this. I wonder how the beta testers let these things go without mentioning them? Or did Waves want to rush this out to catch NAMM fever?

The group colors thing would be a good idea. I do like one can rename each bucket to something like drums, etc except there's a limit of six characters and CLA truncates the names however it sees fit. I had one I wanted to name 'strings' and CLA truncated it to 'strings'.
I've been in touch with Waves before on similar matters concerning Abbey Road. I asked them if it was a fault of by design...

They said it was by design. I'd go out on a very small limb and say its true in this instance too. The thing is if you want increased quality you have to sacrifice CPU/DSP power to do it. You don't get something for nothing.

I find that every few years or so there is a paradigm shift in audio processing where there is an increase in quality/features of the software we use, but it has always come at a cost. This is no different from some of the other developers creating some very demanding plugins as well. I believe Slate is one.

Can anybody back me on that??