Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM

Default Re: 10.3.5 and Disk Caching ......SAD ....

I'm not treating you like a novice when I explain to you how Disk Caching works. In fact YOU are complicating things, by not providing all information to begin with.
The readings I get from the meters are correct, so this is not a general issue. Row back a bit, dear.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSSD View Post
Dear Meads ,
U are complicating things unecessarily by assuming simple things for yourself and considering others to be novices ... all the 4gb of files (consolidated wave files)are in the timeline at present and the Disk activity led is lit continuosly ....
why should disk access happen if all the timeline files are in the RAM cache ... and as per the data above Disk Cache should show 25% .... so what do you have to say now ...??
May or may not be relevant, but if you're doing any recording, the system will write to the disk from time to time...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM

Maybe quickpunch are activated?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSSD View Post
Dears ,
Earlier versions of PT 10HD I remember ,used to have the Disk Cache @ 100% , so everything was running from RAM ... superb ... so I upgraded to 24 Gb ... Now I find since 10.3.3 , 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 ... only the timeline caching 100% ... and the session reading audio/video from Disk continuosly ...this is ridiculous ... defeats the whole idea of caching .... what is the point of all this when eveything including Video should be from cache ..... so that playback /bounces are smooth and glitch free ....Is there any option anywhere to force disk cache to 100% ... ??
Hello.

Disc caching is for audio only. If you are running video especially HD it will need disc reading. If you are recording there will also be occasional activity as the disc needs to be written too. It's function hasn't changed since it was introduced and it isn't broken. We have multiple systems CPTK, HD, HDX all are working as advertised.

I guess some software synths using sample libraries may also need disc reading as well.

It has never included video. If you are operating a very large HD video session it could easily exceed the max amount of RAM in a MacPro anyway.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Avid

Disk cache was changed to only cache audio on the timeline, correct. If there is audio not on your timeline but then added, it will get cached immediately and stay in the cache until session close. The main reason for this change was to not read tons of data from disk into the cache when it's not necessary. For users accessing data over a network, this extra data caching could cause a substantial hit on overall performance while the caching was taking place because networks are a lot slower than local disk access.

Only audio data on audio tracks get cached by Disk Cache. Video does not get cached. Neither does sample data for VIs.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpete View Post
Disk cache was changed to only cache audio on the timeline, correct. If there is audio not on your timeline but then added, it will get cached immediately and stay in the cache until session close. The main reason for this change was to not read tons of data from disk into the cache when it's not necessary. For users accessing data over a network, this extra data caching could cause a substantial hit on overall performance while the caching was taking place because networks are a lot slower than local disk access.

Only audio data on audio tracks get cached by Disk Cache. Video does not get cached. Neither does sample data for VIs.
Help me to understand further: if you have audio tracks in a session but are muted are they still cached? I guess I don't understand what makes for audio not on the timeline then?

QAPLA!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Help me to understand further: if you have audio tracks in a session but are muted are they still cached? I guess I don't understand what makes for audio not on the timeline then?
Audio not on the timeline would refer to audio that is in the session, but only loaded into the clip bin (formerly region bin)... so not on a specific track. If it is not on a track, it is not getting cached.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 PM

There are 2 indicators for the disk cache one is % of disk cache used.
and % of Timeline cached
for example if you session timeline size is 5 GB and you have 20 GB allocated
you will have used 25% of your disk cache and 100% of your Timeline will show. (the cache takes about 30 seconds after the session opens obviously this will vary depending on session size.

Now if your session is 10GB and you only have 5GB of Ram Cache

Your timeline will say 50% and and your available disk cache will show 100%.

As long as your TIMELINE shows 100% your entire session timeline will be cached into RAM
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 AM

KSSD: Meads was merely trying to help. Considering your rudeness and condescension, I'm not sure why he continues to try. FWIW, it's my belief that he's offering the correct info about caching.