Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-16-2005, 06:49 PM

Default good way to get rid of popping noise (clipping)

sorry for double post, posted the other one in wrong section

Im new to protools, just got it yesterday, however I am some what experienced with recording. My quesiton is, after recording an audio track and u want you're recording to fit into a sertain amount of bars....what is the best technique so that you dont need to use fades to hide the clipping noises after trimming?

P.S. I understand that you need to trim the wave in the audio when it crosses 0...but is there better/faster way of doing this? thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: good way to get rid of popping noise (clipping)

You need to be a bit more clear on what you want to accomplish here. Okay, I re-read it and now I think I understand. Clipping is not really the right term here as clipping usually refers to a signal that is too hot. The popping or clicking sound often occurs when editing and splicing waves. Cutting at the zero crossing(where the wave form as at -0) does eliminate most clicking. Once you cut the wave, you can use TCE and grid mode to stretch the wave to fit your grid. If you still have clicks, highlight the area on both sides of the splice and put in a crossfade. The only real way to get good at this is to do it a million times. Then it gets pretty easy. A well placed crossfade can often fix a splice noise even without cutting on the zero crossing. Record with a click whenever possible. Otherwise, grid mode is tough to use.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-17-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: good way to get rid of popping noise (clipping)

FIRST POST ! ! !

Hi all,

On the subject of zero point crossing - is it possible to do this easily on PT - ie not zooming in to individual samples. Is it possible to snap to crossing point or tab to it. Have looked around and don't seem to be able to find this function.

Thanks all,

Tim
Old 10-17-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: good way to get rid of popping noise (clippin

Quote:
FIRST POST ! ! !

Hi all,

On the subject of zero point crossing - is it possible to do this easily on PT - ie not zooming in to individual samples. Is it possible to snap to crossing point or tab to it. Have looked around and don't seem to be able to find this function.

Thanks all,

Tim
No. A common feature that has been requested by many of us for years now. Some type of Shift+Tab to zero crossing would be niice.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-19-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: good way to get rid of popping noise (clippin

I'd just select the whole region and hit Alt+F. Puts 4ms fades on each end. Not all that time consuming...
Old 07-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Default Is snap to zero crossing still not available?

I see it's been a while since this thread started and I'm hoping a snap to zero crossing feature may have been added by now. I'm new to PT but I've used several other programs that have this very practical but rather unglamorous option. I hope I'm just living in the past and it's now available as a setting which I can't yet find. If not I hope it's a priority for an update.

PT has a pretty astonishing set of plug-ins bells and whistles. I reallly WANT to love this program but I feel a little like I'm trying to handle a Ferrari on a muddy dirt road when I'm trying to navigate a basic operation in editing and I have to go back through edits and crossfade or trim them. Please tell me there's another way or that there's hope on the horizon. Thanks.

Last edited by flang1954; 07-22-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-22-2008, 04:33 PM

Thumbs up

"Please tell me there's another way "

Sorry all, I just saw the post re: OPT+ F on the whole selected region. I'll give it a try -seems like a pretty good work around until there's an option to have it as an automatic setting.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:01 PM

alt/option + F is definitely wrong. that's a zoom command

ctrl/Command + F is for fades