Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 05-04-2020, 12:16 PM

Default Mixing a virtual choir

In these days of COVID-19, choirs are being creative in trying to do things virtually. In my own church we've done a couple of virtual things so far. One was with the band and a soloist, the other with a bunch of kids. I did the mix and they both came out okay. But, as we'll be trying more of these in the near future, I thought I'd ask here for any tips/tricks or things to think about when trying to mix with less than ideal audio. Most of them just record themselves on their smart phone's video, or laptop and then I strip the audio to do the mix, and someone else does the video edits and uses my mix as the track.

I did what I could with EQ and such, but still...I know they could be better.

So, any suggestions on how best to approach it with this sort of thing?

Thanks for any ideas.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Mixing a virtual choir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
In these days of COVID-19, choirs are being creative in trying to do things virtually. In my own church we've done a couple of virtual things so far. One was with the band and a soloist, the other with a bunch of kids. I did the mix and they both came out okay. But, as we'll be trying more of these in the near future, I thought I'd ask here for any tips/tricks or things to think about when trying to mix with less than ideal audio. Most of them just record themselves on their smart phone's video, or laptop and then I strip the audio to do the mix, and someone else does the video edits and uses my mix as the track.

I did what I could with EQ and such, but still...I know they could be better.

So, any suggestions on how best to approach it with this sort of thing?

Thanks for any ideas.

Hi,

izotopr RX7 has good function for separation, pulling the vocal out of a mix if you need that.

ReVoice Pro has a good double track feature where you can change the pitch and formant of the double tracks to give a more realistic multi voice sound.

Both available to demo and i think you might get 3 months demo at the moment, but not sure 100%

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:56 AM

Use RX for all the crazy noise and tone issues of incoming poorly home recorded content. Some people will need reverb removed (nasty room and laptop screen reflections from omni laptop mics) and some will need reverb enhanced. RX has a reverb remover... so do sonible, accusonus, SPL, acon and zynaptic. I have not tried all of them but would love to compare them first hand and write a review. Then eqing to get weight for some and remove proximity effects and plosives from others.

Then stereo panning or screen location matching. And finally...The possibility of a reverb send from all the individual singers to one unifying reverb can get you more unity and density. It will be tedious. One of my studio assistants is doing one now for a Berklee community project and its a huge tedious labor intensive project. The key is lessening the weird nasty sounding out-liars and then making it sound pleasant, wide and unified. Good luck... its the new normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NomadicWax.com
Old 05-05-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notable View Post
Use RX for all the crazy noise and tone issues of incoming poorly home recorded content. Some people will need reverb removed (nasty room and laptop screen reflections from omni laptop mics) and some will need reverb enhanced. RX has a reverb remover... so do sonible, accusonus, SPL, acon and zynaptic. I have not tried all of them but would love to compare them first hand and write a review. Then eqing to get weight for some and remove proximity effects and plosives from others.

Then stereo panning or screen location matching. And finally...The possibility of a reverb send from all the individual singers to one unifying reverb can get you more unity and density. It will be tedious. One of my studio assistants is doing one now for a Berklee community project and its a huge tedious labor intensive project. The key is lessening the weird nasty sounding out-liars and then making it sound pleasant, wide and unified. Good luck... its the new normal.

Thank you for all the all helpful suggestions. I don't have RX yet. I think I need to look into though. In the one I did with a kids group, I used EQ on each individual track to deal as best I could with noise and rumble, etc. Then used a submix to add the unifying reverb and some additional overall EQ for the whole. It came out okay. But, I know it can be much better, too.

Appreciate the suggestions from you and Chizdee.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:50 AM

You are welcome! There are some amazing deals right now with plugins. Many software companies are being super kind to my students and have specials! Izotope, McDSP, Metric Halo, SoundToys... check them out. All super nice supportive companies with great products.

NomadicWax.com
Old 05-05-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
... I don't have RX yet. I think I need to look into though...
RX is awesome
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-05-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
RX is awesome
I'm sure it is. Its just more than I can afford right now. I do want to get it at some point though. Thanks!