Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2000, 03:01 PM

Default Bank Select in Names Manager?

Is it possible to to select banks of patches in the names manager. I have a EX5-R that has 512 patches across 4 banks. Would like to be able to access all 512 by name within ProTools.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-20-2000, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Bank Select in Names Manager?

Yes. In the upper right hand corner of the window listing all the patches for your synth should be a button that gives you a drop-down list of the available banks.

However, you have to have the correct patch name file for your synth with those banks defined. It's a pain to have to create one yourself if none are readily available...

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 06-21-2000, 05:05 PM

Would that happen to be the device mode pull down menu's listed under each instrument? If so, I know what to do. Mass amounts of labor. Unless there is a way to make a bundle from Sound Diver. Than subscribe that bundle in the Names Manager.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 06-22-2000, 02:51 PM

I believe it is the "mode" button. My banks sometimes have 5 digits in that drop-down menu and sometimes they're called by name.

I haven't used Sound Diver, but I've heard that it can create patch name files that can be used in OMS. If that's correct, then you should be able to load the banks from your synths, save as (something) and then just subscribe to the file. Otherwise, you're in for a LOT of typing.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 06-24-2000, 06:04 AM

LW. Could not find this feature in Sound Diver yet. I will give it another try when I have more time.

Mike
Old 06-25-2000, 09:44 AM

I posted this info in another forum but will repeat it here as I recently went through this and it isn't easy to get info about it.

You have to "Subscribe" to your midi devices(s) names for OMS.

The problem is, you have to do this through a 3rd party app.

Digi's manual says...see OMS on how to do this...OMS manual says...see your 3rd party manual on how to do it. (Catch 22).

But, the OMS manual DOES describe exactly how to do this..in studio vision.

Im not sure if Sounddiver offers the ability under a "names manager" to subscribe to patch names". I cound't find one in Sounddiver OR Galaxy.

So what to do?

I downloaded the "Vision" (which is the midi portion only of Studio vision) DEMO ...warning..its about 18 megs.

I installed just the vision app...no OMS>.etc. I installed Protools 5 le..and OMS..and set them up as per the protools manual (disable use serial DMA in OMS prefs..etc.).

I opened the OMS setup...it recognized my cheapo MOTU fastlane as a "generic midi device"...and..also...it didn't recognize my Kurz K2vx...but it did recognize that there was a device attached. So, just double click on the keyboard icon..in your studio setup...and..from the pop up menus..choose your midi devices. (all OMS installs include a long, long list of midi devices with factory patch names).

When done...save this as My Studio and date it.

Now, install the vision demo...app only..no oms..etc...and..then open it. Under the Names manager..you will see your midi devices...click on each one..and choose "subscribe to names". (exact step by step info is available in the OMS docs "Names Manager". )

Now quit Vision...and open protools.

Viola. All your names..and banks should now appear in protools program window.

Before doing this..there was NO bank window on the far right. I had to subscribe to patch names from another app..before OMS then..told Protools what kind of instrument..etc...I had.

While this function IS a function of OMS..it is there for 3rd party apps to access...or not. So, the deal is...I think Digi may not realize that they have to build in a "names manager" or some way to subscribe to sounds using the provided OMS hooks.

It seems Digi may be under the understanding that somehow..this is all done in OMS..but that is not thecase. It HAS to be done thru a 3rd party app.

So, after you see all your patch names/banks in PT...you now have a good studio setup in OMS that is "subscribed" to your sounds.

Save and back up...your My studio document...in OMS..and..your "OMS current state document..and prefs document which are both in System folder/OMS/folder.

Thats it. I looked for this info for quite a while..and couldn't get any help. Digi says..use OMS to do this...and OMS docs say...use 3rd party app to do this (iie...Digi).

Further...Vision is the midi only portion of studio vision..and makes a good addition to your tool kit while we are waiting for Digi to add more Midi tools to PT 5.

Its only 40 bucks on the web download if you want to purchase it...and it doesn't require a key..but a serial which I believe that they email back to you.

Non the less..its a long download..and the demo is fully functional and runs for 30 days. It will get your OMS subscribed...and you can then save your current setup for future use..reinstalls..etc.

However, if you add a new piece of equipment to your studio..it would require...doing this all over again. My advice ? save the demo installer.

dcornutt
Old 06-26-2000, 12:07 AM

A subsequent search of past forum posts turned up a response from Digi about a utility included with PTle 5 cd..for subscribing to OMS names without having to use vision or studio vision.

I found it on the PTle 5 cd in the bottom folder called something like Beta/3rd party...can't remember exact name.

I haven't tried it yet since I got mine working via the Vision demo mentioned above but Digi says..this can be used to do the same thing.

It would save the 18 meg download...plus..be available for susequent midi device additions..etc.

Might give this a try too.

dcornutt