Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 AM

Default Can\'r record my Motif es8

Greetings to all
I am having some strange problem

Today I powered up my Mac OX 10.4.8,lunched protools 7,turned on my Motif.I went to an old session where i recorded some music just 2 days ago and wanted to add to it today.So I armed the track and everything just like usuall,start playing my Motif to record,,,,,nothing! You can see that pro tools is recording but there is no signals hitting it. Very weird,I am single,live myself,so there are no other hands to mess with my settings,you know what i mean,so what could be the problem???

If I put my digi 002 in Stand alone mode and play music,no problem,you can hear it.
I mean I just recorded 2 days ago,everything was fine ,damn it.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Can\'r record my Motif es8

How is your Motif connected to the 002? When you say you can play music with the 002 in stand-alone mode do you mean you can hear the Motif or music that's playing from the computer or some other source?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 AM

Yeah, we need more detailed information about your setup before we can offer any help.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:42 AM

I have simple set up. My Motif is connected to my Dig002,and I have two PA's connected to my Digi002 also. Have midi cable from my Digi002 to my computer,but this has nothing to do with what I have been doing. I told you gentlemen I just recorded 2 days a go,nothing changed. Very frustrating though.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 PM

I suggest you check the I/O settings to make sure the track input matches those physical to which the Motif is connected. Particularly if you've opened a session created on another system/interface. In which case, PT may now be picking up different default I/O settings.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 PM

I didn't creat the session anywhere else.I opened the same session I opened 2 days ago in my home.Let me repeat for the records,NOTHING changed,I didn't change anything. I recorded 2 days
ago,today came back,powered everything up and tried to record like i have been recording,it's just not happening,some wierd stuff.I live alone,so it's not like someone played with my settings.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Other than checking the I/O Settings again, there doesn't seem to be much that we can suggest.There's nothing to lose in checking them again.

How is the Motif hooked up? What inputs on the 002 are you using? Are you using the Mix/Line ins (1-4) or the Line ins (5-8)?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:14 PM

My Motif is hooked to Line Inst 1-4. I mean this is realy weird, my hookup and settings are the same from day one.It's just today doesn't wan to record,I am so frustrated.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I didn't creat the session anywhere else.I opened the same session I opened 2 days ago in my home.Let me repeat for the records,NOTHING changed,I didn't change anything. I recorded 2 days
ago,today came back,powered everything up and tried to record like i have been recording,it's just not happening,some wierd stuff.I live alone,so it's not like someone played with my settings.
Again, you need to be more detailed to really get any help, we're all just shooting in the dark until you tell us how things are hooked up.

Quote:
You can see that pro tools is recording but there is no signals hitting it.
I.E. The sort of statement above is too generic. What signals? MIDI? Audio? How can you tell PT is recording? Is it recording MIDI? Audio? You also have yet to mention your MIDI and Audio setups, i.e. what inputs jacks you're using for audio, what outputs you're using on the Motif, and whether or not you have MIDI going in both directions from the interface. I know you didn't change anything from when it last worked, but without knowing how you've got it setup, it's near impossible to tell you to "try "X or "try Y" to see if it helps because you're keeping it a secret. Also, things like "My Motif makes sound on the headphone jack, but I can't see it into ProTools" is a much more detailed description of a problem than "My thing used to work, and now it doesn't" so try and pretend like we're 5th graders and explain it in detail.

Anyway (lecture over), while you still haven't provided enough info to do any real troubleshooting, my instinct would be that a setting has changed on your Motif somewhere as those buggers are finicky, or possibly a cable has come loose somewhere in your rig. On the Motif, you have to go into sequencer/mixer mode in order to do multitrack MIDI (and this is not it's default mode on power-up), so confirm that, as well as all cable connections to and from the unit, and the volume slider on the Motif and sending MIDI channel. It could be any number of other things though, looking forward to reading your next post with actual information in it so we can get you up and running ASAP. Sorry if this comes off preachy, I'm just trying to help.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
My Motif is hooked to Line Inst 1-4. I mean this is realy weird, my hookup and settings are the same from day one.It's just today doesn't wan to record,I am so frustrated.
Oops, ok that helps a little, you got that in while I was typing my book, er um, previous thread.

Make sure you haven't bumped any of the Line/Mic switches for those channels. You want them in the 'out' position for Line inputs.

And one other question, how are you monitoring your Motif in ProTools? An Aux track? Instrument track? If you re-enable local mode on the Motif, do you get audio signal through ProTools when playing it?