Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Question Saving the Window Layout?

I've searched here and Googled but maybe just don't have the right keywords...

When I open Pro Tools 9, the application windows defaults to a size that uses less than the full window space (or monitor/display) that is available. I stretch it out how I want it (across two displays) and go about my work, but if I close PT9 and re-open it, then I'm back to the original case where it's not using the full display. This used to work, but I've recently swapped out my monitors for a couple new ones. I've tried deleting preferences but it did not seem to help (unless I missed something). here's some more detail if anyone has ideas on how to save the app window size?

Windows 7 x64 (Dell Inspiron 560)
Pro Tools 9.02
Nvidia Quadro NVS 285
Dual Dell ST2210 Monitors at 1920x1080 resolution - display extended across

when I had my old monitors (1280x1024 each) it saved the position for me OK.

thanks,

Mike
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Saving the Window Layout?

Drag the edges of the main window out to cover both screens. Place each window(MIX and EDIT) on the screen that you want and drag their edges out to fill the screen(do NOT use the maximize button at all). Once you get everything sized, close out by hitting Alt-F4. That usually does it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM

yeah, that's what I do every time I fire it up. It used to be that I'd clear prefs, then set it back to how I wanted it and then it would stay. Since I got the new monitors it hasn't been working for me though. anyone else running 2 x monitors at 1920x1080 or higher? I can't imagine that PT9 has some kind of limit on what it can save, but who knows? maybe i'll delete the prefs one more time just for fun.

Mike
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
Old 05-10-2011, 07:23 AM

You can also create a Window Configuration to reset things the way you like. I think it's the top thing under the Window menu in 9.x. You can recall it from there, too, of course, but I prefer to assign it to a Memory Location. That way if my windows get messed up, all I have to do is type ".12." e.g., and it puts everything back like I want it. I save several different Configs for different elements of my workflow, each recalled by a particular Memory Location. I save that to a template, which I recall whenever I make a new session. That way, typing a certain MemLoc shortcut always has the same effect of restoring the windows to a given configuration.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm running 9.0.2 on Win 7-64, I expand the main PT window across both monitors, then put the Edit window on one and the Mix window on another.

I've never used [Alt]+F4, but when I start Pro Tools my windows come back just the way they were when I closed PT.

But here's the thing, you installed PT with one video resolution, and have since changed to another resolution. I'm an IT guy so I speak with some authority, and I have seen quite a few "problems" crop up with video resolution changes.

Frankly, I seriously doubt that resolution is stored in any PT preferences. I hope I'm wrong, and hopefully Avid will chime in here, but you may have to remove and reinstall Pro Tools to solve the problem.

Whatever it takes...good luck...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-10-2011, 05:12 PM

[Alt]+F4 has always worked for me, in XP as well as W7.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM

I have the same problem. It was fine before I did a remote desktop connection while pt was running. I just did this once while on a pc with a different res. Since then it defaults to the lower res of the remote machine. (To be clear, I rd'ed into my pt machine from a office pc, while pt was running. Carelessness I know) alt f4 does not fix this.

Sent from my EVO 4g using Tapatalk...
Zalman 9900 LED
Readeon HD 4650
6 tb storage
WIN 7 x64 Ult
PT9
002 Console, 11R, Profire 2626, Jamlab
MPT2(wtf?)
HP DV7-3188cl
i5
320g 7200rpm hd X2
Siig xpress 1394
6 gig ram
(disabled g105 and acpi
Old 05-14-2011, 08:55 AM

so I deleted preferences (again) and Digidesign databases (again). Open PT9 and adjusted the window to use the entire screen (extended across both monitors). I closed using ALT+F4 (this is just a shortcut to choosing File->Exit from the menu).

when I opened PT9 again it did make a difference - but it didn't fix it. now it is extended horizontally across both displays to where I wanted it, but vertically it leaves about 15-20% (1.5" or so) at the bottom of the monitors and I have to grab the window and pull it down to the bottom. I saved and exited several times, but it didn't change the behavior.

so my conclusion is that PT9 does save the window size (because deleting prefs and databases changed the behavior) but there is also a bug in there somewhere. Hopefully Avid finds it an fixes it in a later release. it's not critical, just an annoyance.

Mike
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
Old 05-14-2011, 05:34 PM

As I previously noted, removing and reinstalling Pro Tools will probably solve your problem...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh