Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Fix List For Artist Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
"way that a plug-in supports the EQ map (or standard control layout) is by simply making a Digidesign EQ or Digidesign COM LIM pagetable." - okay, so wouldn't it be good if there was a list of plug-ins that did this included in the manual?
I guess I just think that it would be a a little silly to have this in the manual since it would constantly be changing. Maybe a list on the DUC would be better. But I am curious to know if there is a list like this for the ICon? Because if there is, it would be the exact same list for the Artist Series. Or maybe they should make some sort of little digital sticker that 3rd party plug-in manufactures can put on their plug-in or in the user manual.

Quote:
"And what do you mean by "it doesn't specify what the EQ mode layout should be"? The EQ layout is simply the 2 pages that open up when you hit the EQ button or knob." You follow this up with exactly what should be included in the manual.....and something that should definitely be included in the manual is the use of 'shift - Frequency' to swap between frequency and 'Q'. Incidentally, the arrangement as found on the Artist Control is backwards.
Ahh I see what you are saying. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yeah, I would be good with that being in the manual. Just a description of what is supposed to spill out in case the first thing you open is a 3rd party that doesn't have a page table.

And wait SERIOUSLY? Is SHIFT + Frequency really not in the manual? That seems a little crazy. I've read the manual a couple of different times and I guess I never even registered that.
As for the Artist Control EQ page being backwards, I agree 100%. It should be flipped.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
It's not so much the fact that this stuff is wrong that bothers me. Where are all the people screaming that it's wrong? Am I the only Windows Pro Tools 11 & Artist Mix/Control/Transport user out there? Or is no one actually using these things having been consigned to the role of expensive paper weights?
I have used these for about a year and when I started up with them I was certainly in exactly the same spot with looking for answers for why various bits either didnt work or didnt work the way I wanted.

There seems to be more feedback on this board of late so hopefully the fixes will come and the features that would make it unique in its price range (plug in mapping etc) will be implemented.

Until then Im sad to say that I am one of those resigned to wait while using a half functioning unit. I actually came on here to see if anyone had the same problem I found today while trying PT11 on mac. When I hit the jog or scrub softkeys on my transport, it played a random sample on one of my instruments! This time I opened the project it toggles the video window!

Fact of the matter is, when people ask my advice on these units, I cant recommend them. They have missed at least 3 sales from that alone in the last year. Add to that they are made by Avid who have made me very nervous with their hardware controller support policies, who knows how long they will even work at all.
OSX 10.8
RME UFX
Artist Mix
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM

+1
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weg View Post
Fact of the matter is, when people ask my advice on these units, I cant recommend them. They have missed at least 3 sales from that alone in the last year. Add to that they are made by Avid who have made me very nervous with their hardware controller support policies, who knows how long they will even work at all.
My university (studios and audio research labs) has over a dozen Artist units gathering dust because every student and teachers gave up on using them, not that they are complicated to "use", but because 90% of the time they would just not work due to driver/connection errors. Future orders have been cancelled. That is potentially more than the 3 sales you are speaking of.

I tried to fix the driver issues for them and managed to make a workstation work for a day, to find out that the day after some units were hi-jacked by one of the hundreds of computers on the university network and there was nothing we could do about it. It went back to the box and was never used since. Nobody here has that enough hours to waste trying to make products that are essentially supposed to save time work. Even a midi keyboard from 1980 has less compatibility problems with today's hardware.

That said, I truly, truly wished thing would improve and that I was wrong (about this product being canned and Avid staying quiet about it). I have invested over 3000$ after all. I come here every few weeks hoping for the new update, something big, since nothing has been happening for so long and we were promised big changes with the new Eucon version.

However, now even the "Broadcast of assurance" is gone and it disappeared just as people were raising serious issues in that thread - questions were never answered. What are we supposed to think about that?

Please invest in the development of Eucon, it's worth it.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:52 AM

Just getting to be able to revert to 2.7.1 and be able to use my AM with pro tools 10 at the very least would be awesome. Unfortunately Nothing seems to work, yet the AM boots (but stays at the avid logos) but remains undetectable by the EuControl and Eucon discovery.

Of course getting the next driver version that would fix the unusability of the AM with PT 11 would be even better.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post

From what we mods know, Eucon is still alive and in development.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Every day, in every way, I find yet another silly bug in the Windows implementation of EuCon 3.

It's an expansion of the scope of a previously reported issue: Basically the application switching button combo (Application & Bank Left/Right) on Artist Mix & Control doesn't work correctly. The Bank Left button doesn't switch to previous application, but Bank Right does switch correctly to the next application. Sigh. So basically Application switching in EuCon 3 with Artist Mix, Control & Transport is broken on Windows.

And still the deafening silence from Avid continues.
Hey Kevin,

Like I mentioned in the other threads, I haven't seen any of the AppSet stuff you have mentioned in this thread. I also took a second to check the Application switching combo, and it appears to be working normally.

It seems like the current Windows build of EuControl has some difficulty.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Avid

This is a very helpful thread. Thank you all for your time.

The Artist Series is the best selling and most feature rich solution ever at its price-point. It and EUCON are not going away. We are actively developing EUCON.

The majority of our customers use the Artist Series with a fraction of the difficulty that we see opined here. Which is why we are going to be asking some of you for very detailed data on your issues. We have and will be reaching out to many more of you on the forums personally to solve these cases.

We've attempted to fix the biggest EUCON issues and continue to support Artist Series while building a new platform for the S6. Resources at small tech companies (For example, Adobe has over 10,000 employees and Avid has less than 2,000) are optimally shifted toward innovation and growth. In parallel, the process of funding development at mature tech companies takes a lot of due-diligence. As a product manager, it's my job to make arguments for resourcing sustaining and new features, as well as new products, and be your voice. I've been on this with a small team for six years and I care deeply about it.

Avid has very passionate customers, and we who work at Avid are passionate about what we do. You guys who post here care the most and we appreciate it. I see these forums and our active involvement as a long term discussion based on mutual interest - Avid using technology to make your creative craft easier and more enjoyable.

While we reach out to some of you personally, I hope all of you will keep an open mind and know we are doing our best.

JC
From Amsterdam at IBC 2013
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Avid

Quote:
My university (studios and audio research labs) has over a dozen Artist units gathering dust because every student and teachers gave up on using them, not that they are complicated to "use", but because 90% of the time they would just not work due to driver/connection errors. Future orders have been cancelled. That is potentially more than the 3 sales you are speaking of.

I tried to fix the driver issues for them and managed to make a workstation work for a day, to find out that the day after some units were hi-jacked by one of the hundreds of computers on the university network and there was nothing we could do about it. It went back to the box and was never used since. Nobody here has that enough hours to waste trying to make products that are essentially supposed to save time work. Even a midi keyboard from 1980 has less compatibility problems with today's hardware.

That said, I truly, truly wished thing would improve and that I was wrong (about this product being canned and Avid staying quiet about it). I have invested over 3000$ after all. I come here every few weeks hoping for the new update, something big, since nothing has been happening for so long and we were promised big changes with the new Eucon version.

However, now even the "Broadcast of assurance" is gone and it disappeared just as people were raising serious issues in that thread - questions were never answered. What are we supposed to think about that?

Xill,

You know you can change the setting in the surfaces tab of EuControl to "Automatically add my surfaces only" this keeps auto grabbing from happening and is recommended for enterprise/academic installations.

You've been a user a long time, and you've given us some great input. I would like you to email me at [email protected] - my email which is publicly available on these forums and has been for three and a half years now - to discuss how we can learn from your specific issues.

Best,
JC
Old 09-15-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I bought one of these for a school I was helping instead of something a little older in fear of compatibility as it seems the HUI format and USB is going away in place with the ethernet connection.

I normally use a C24 at my facility and it works pretty good with no problems. This artist control surface doesn't work very well, it locks up, there's no monitor control, no insert control unless you manually insert a plugin with the mouse. In which than you can control the plugin parameters via artist control, but bypass doesn't work for the plugin. This thing has been a head ache and an embarrassment for my company and the school we installed this at.