Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2000, 05:18 AM

Default Help missing graphics!

Hi, I've read quite a bit of these messages and am not going to bitch about problems, because this is a free product and i already have it working on another computer, and it works great! So my question is: I installed Ptfree on my second computer (actully i installed it twice)and some of the views are missing graphics, such as the transport view half of the graphics are blank with a white color, and the mixer view the actual faders are missing and replaced with a white strip( weird,but they are still there you just cant see them)and some of the buttons on the mixer view are white as well. My system consistes of:Celeron 300a@450mhz, 128pc100,10gigWD 5400, creative 52xcd, and a voodoo banshee 16meg video card, SB Live value(with the newest win me drivers)WIN ME, Pci network card. This system works great for all my other music apps, and as far as i can tell PTfree works good too, just the graphics are messed up also have all of the knewst drivers for everything else on this system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy
Old 12-17-2000, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Help missing graphics!

Hi Tommy,

That's a strange problem indeed!

Since it's a graphics issue, I would suggest that you try a few different graphics settings -- change the color depth (try 256 colors and work up from there). You could also try a few different screen resolutions.

You mentioned that you have the newest drivers for everything -- have you double-checked to make sure you have the latest video card drivers?

Regards,
Kenn LeGault
Digidesign
Old 12-18-2000, 12:12 AM

The Banshee is a fussy video card. I've used several of them on several different systems due to their low price at the time which was about a year to a year and a half ago. The cards that I was using were Creative Graphics Blaster Voodoo Banshee 16Mb AGP. I read somewhere that all Banshee cards are PCI cards, and that the AGP version was just a PCI card forced to work in an AGP slot.

Depending on when I bought the cards, they had different versions of the drivers. Some of which wouldn't work at all, and some of which worked better than others. No matter what driver I used I did have to do strange things to make certain games work, like turning off Direct 3D, or reducing the Performance settings in the Display-Advanced-Properties.

There are two programs that load and run in the System Tray by default when you install the Banshee. I can't remember their exact names right now, but one has to do with setting up color matching, and the other has to do with 3D settings. I found that I got better performance in all my Banshee equipped systems when I turned both of these programs off.

I would try reducing the performance settings in Display-Advanced-Performance first. That is a quick and easy change that may help in your situation.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 12-21-2000, 01:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Krysinger:
...missing graphics...

I also noticed some missing graphics when I installed PTF the first time. For instance - the transport window, when moved, had an 'eraser effect' on the graphics behind it, leaving white spaces (or strips as you called it).

I'm not sure if it's the same problem we're experiencing, but instead of altering the graphics settings (such as reducing acceleration etc) try unchecking the 'Show window contents while dragging' feature in Display Properties-Effects. (I'm working on a WIN98 2nd Edition system, but I think this feature is included in WIN ME also).

I had 'Show window contents...' enabled and when I unchecked it, the problem disappeared.

------------------
J
Old 12-23-2000, 04:10 PM

I had the same problem with the transport. Before I launch Pro Tools I now change my display settings to 256 Colors and that seems to have cured the problem, I'm running WinME with a Voodoo Banshee Video card. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

[This message has been edited by nitehawk409 (edited December 23, 2000).]