Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2015, 12:37 AM

Default PT HD Driver 11.3.1

Is it necessary to install the latest HD Driver if I'm just using HD 10.3.9 with an HDX system, not using PT11? I don't remember installing an HD driver when I first installed 10.3.8 (later updated to 10.3.9) onto my MBP and Sonnet TB chassis but I might have.

If I do need to (and if I did and just forgot that I did) where is the driver located on my system so I can tell which version it is? I guess I had assumed the HD driver was only for 11.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:06 AM

Default Re: PT HD Driver 11.3.1

It is not necessary, no. Are you having any issues with your current setup?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:59 AM

Default Re: PT HD Driver 11.3.1 / Updated to include Q about DP

Stig, Thanks so much for your reply. No I'm not having issues but I kinda told a little bit of an untruth in the description of the problem in order to keep the question simple.

Allow me to expand on the question a little more and if you can shed any further light on it I'd be most appreciative.

The computer system I describe in my original post, the Macbook Pro and HDX card in a Sonnet Echo Express III-D chassis is indeed my system and no I did not install an HD driver when I installed PT10 onto my system as I did know I didn't need it seeing as I would not be using PT11.

I was really posing the question for a friend of mine who's system is very similar to mine that I built for him. His computer is a 12 core Mac Trash Can and the rack mount version of the same Sonnet chassis I have. When I installed Pro Tools on to his system I "did" install PT11.1.2 and the current (at the time) HD Driver, version 11.0.3 as there was a chance he might dabble with 11 and eventually switch. Since then he has decided not to switch and has no plans to use 11.

So my friend emailed me yesterday with kind of a strange help request. He is having no problems at all with PT10.3.8, still has no need to 11 and everything is fine BUT he is having problems when using other Pro Audio apps with his Avid Hardware.

Specifically he has been hired to mix a project in Digital Performer (much to his chagrin, but work is work!) and DP sometimes (but not always) has a problem recognizing the Avid hardware (HDX card and HDIO 16x16). He hasn't explained whether it just won't recognize the hardware at start up or if it actually drops the connection to the hardware mid session, I'm assuming it's the former.

As far as I was aware, when using a third party audio app and Avid hardware it simply connects through Core Audio. I do a similar thing when I use Logic X sometimes. Is this not true? He tells me he has contacted Motu customer support and that they are telling him it could be an issue with his PT HD Driver and that he should update it to the latest version (11.3.1). To my mind the HD Driver shouldn't have anything to do with it but maybe I am wrong.

Basically he is asking me how to find out which HD Driver version I installed for him and where he can find that on his system to check it, and...should he update it to the new version even though he is not using PT11, as in might it cure his problem interfacing with Digital Performer?

Anyway, sorry for the long winded explanation, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:58 AM

Default Re: PT HD Driver 11.3.1

Sorry for the late reply.

Installing HD Driver 11.3.1 shouldn't break anything. It's main purpose is to establish communication with the audio interface. Remember, PT 10.3.6 and higher can be co-installed with PT 11, though, I believe it's only supported on Mountain Lion.

Regarding Core Audio, maybe this thread @ MOTU can help?

I have no idea how to check which driver version that's currently installed, sorry.