Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-10-2012, 03:46 PM

Default Static noise with MP9 Win7

I have intermittent static digital noise when recording internal drums and or my guitar and cannot figure out how to eliminate it. I have an ACER Aspire laptop with 4gb memory and plenty of hard drive space. I've adjusted the playback engine to 128 for smaller buffer size, 70% for disk allocation and nothing works. I've searched Protools help everywhere, and nothing is mentioned. Everything is set up properly, and on occasion it will be clear of static, but it will pop up quite frequently. Any ideas???
Old 03-10-2012, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Static noise with MP9 Win7

The smaller the buffer size, the harder your computer has to work. Have you tried larger sizes? And by digital static, do you just mean clicks and pops or do you mean sustained noise?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:11 PM

sustained noise when I play the guitar or replay the recorded drums and or guitar. I'll try larger sizes.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 PM

I enlarged the playback engine buffer size to 1024 and the playback cleared up, just a slight amount of digital noise. In general, where do most users set their playback engine settings?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:48 PM

What interface? With my Fast Track Pro, I get total noise and static on Windows 7 and the latest FTP driver. Posting a Sandra is a good idea for any newbie question
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM

Unhappy Re: Static noise with MP9 Win7

Hello anyone, I am desperately trying to get clear audio from Protools 9.05 under Windows 7 64 (4GB RAM - Intel QUAD), M-Audio 1814, UAD2.
I am not convinced its the fault of Avid, in fact I personally think its a Microsofts issue, but, after talking to them dozens of times, they don't agree with me.
Every time I play multitrack recordings (that were recorded clearly under WIN XP) the WIN 7 play back has horrible static associated with the audio. I just can't move any window and is worst when I try to play any video!!
I have removed/reinstalled dozens of times.
Everything works perfect in XP. Personally, I can care less what protools version I run as long as it sounds like how it was recorded it (version 8 or 9).. But I need win 7 to work win PT 9.05 so I can get the great memory usage benefits. Anyone run into this? or have thoughts?

Please help!

Thank you and Best Regards
Nilson - L'emcasa Produções
Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemcasa View Post
Hello anyone, I am desperately trying to get clear audio from Protools 9.05 under Windows 7 64 (4GB RAM - Intel QUAD), M-Audio 1814, UAD2.
I am not convinced its the fault of Avid, in fact I personally think its a Microsofts issue, but, after talking to them dozens of times, they don't agree with me.
Every time I play multitrack recordings (that were recorded clearly under WIN XP) the WIN 7 play back has horrible static associated with the audio. I just can't move any window and is worst when I try to play any video!!
I have removed/reinstalled dozens of times.
Everything works perfect in XP. Personally, I can care less what protools version I run as long as it sounds like how it was recorded it (version 8 or 9).. But I need win 7 to work win PT 9.05 so I can get the great memory usage benefits. Anyone run into this? or have thoughts?

Please help!

Thank you and Best Regards
Nilson - L'emcasa Produções
Please start a new thread and include a Sandra report as described here: Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 AM

I'm going to make this as simple as possible

I have been running the same desktop PC since 2010. There have been no hardware or operating system changes to it. The only thing that has changed on my PC was downloading and installing the upgrade from Pro Tools MP 9 to MP 9.05. That is where the static problem began. The static only appears during recording, mixing, and bounce. The static does not appear in the final recording after bounce. My PC specs are listed in my signature but here they are:

Core 2 Duo CPU 2.3Ghz
4GB RAM
OS is on 500GB HDD. Recording is done on secondary 160 HDD that has 75% disc space left.
Audio Interface is Fastrack USB with latest drivers
DAW version is Pro Tools MP9 upgraded to 9.05

After some searching, I see no update beyond Pro Tools MP 9.05. Is there a way to remove the 9.05 update and restore Pro Tools back to version 9? That seems to be the fix for this problem. I'm sure a recommendation to purchase Pro Tools 10 would be the most likely solution, but if I'm going to have to invest in a new DAW and perhaps audio interface to fix this problem, it's not going to be an Avid solution because my two other DAWS (Mixcraft and Audacity) do not produce random static at any time, so the problem isn't my computer, audio interface, or speakers/monitors.
Pro Tools version- Pro Tools MP 9 (Crashes Windows 8 every time)
Amount of RAM installed- 8GB
Recordings done on USB 2.0 external hard drive, 500GB.
99% disc space free.

If you listen to metal, you need to hear DARK BLU
http://darkblu.com/MEDIA.html
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 AM

Extensive research has not produced a method to restore Pro Tools to a previous version (MP 9 or 9.2). I re-downloaded the 9.05 update. Perhaps a re-install of that will correct the problem. I saw somewhere that updating video card drivers on NVidia graphics cards is necessary to prevent issues but there is no mention of that causing this specific issue. It's suspicious, given that the static only occurs in this DAW and not others. No one from Avid seems to be addressing this issue. I Tweeted a question to @Avid but haven't received a response. This is probably low on Avid's to do list, as they are more focused on Pro Tools 10, having removed MP, LE and the other versions and unified the program. I'm not investing another penny in this DAW unless this problem is solved, one way or another.

If a reinstall of the 9.05 Update and/or the Nvidia graphics driver update resolves the issue, I will report that here.
99% disc space free.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM

According to this post, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is compatible with Pro Tools MP 9.02- http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=298015

I do have Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Some or all of you may, as well. If so, that's not something you can remove from Windows and I don't see anything documented that Pro Tools MP 9.05 update is compatible with Windows 7 Service Pack 1. So why no patch to fix this problem, or is Avid's solution to make us buy Pro Tools 10. From what I've seen, Pro Tools 10 has an interesting set of bugs as well. Not Happy. Version 8 and Version 9 were not Buggy. This 9.05 Update apparently is for those of us here. Still no response from Avid on this issue?
99% disc space free.