Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-13-2000, 02:12 AM

Default the korg nx5r vs. roland jv1010 challenge 2000

which of these two bargain basement modules would you get? strictly for sounds, not necessarily tweakability, although tweakability can be good. i mean the korg has 2,300 sounds and the roland 1,000 ish (both same price) why shouldn't i get the korg? are the thousand sounds way better than the 2,300 because they cost so much more per sound. Short simple replies and or long drawn out evaluations are similarly appreciated. the gear bitch in me will be buying one of these in the next few days, hurry before it's too late. i cant stop her.
thanks again. bluto

[This message has been edited by thenegativedivine (edited September 13, 2000).]
Old 09-13-2000, 09:08 AM

Default Re: the korg nx5r vs. roland jv1010 challenge 2000

Hi Bluto, I had the same descision to make myself recently. I'd really like to know what people think. I ended up inheritting a JV1010 & have only used it in a very limited capacity.

I can tell you the pianos & organs are nothing to get excited about. Sounds to me like the basic RD series pianos with more FX dumped on them.

Some of the orchestral sounds are very powerful & there are loads of Techno sounds included. Very sharp, crisp, edgy & yet the module also has some nifty lush sounding patches as well.

It's a good box but doesn't overwhelm me with bang for buck value. I'd still like to try the Korg unit for comparrison.

------------------
C Ya, Stan
Good - Fast - Cheap
Pick Any Two
Old 09-14-2000, 01:20 AM

thanks stan. anybody got the korg 411?
thanks laterz , me
Old 09-14-2000, 01:30 PM

I haven't directly compared them myself, but 25,000 crappy sounds aren't as good as 16 REALLY useful, meat & potatoes sounds.

I have an old Roland D110 and a Yamaha TX81Z that I don't use anymore because the sounds are pretty crappy compared to what's available now. However, I'm still hanging onto my Korg M1 because it has about a half-dozen REALLY good sounds (I'll keep it for the fretless bass and EP4 patches if nothing else).

Out of my rack of Alesis, Roland, Korg, and Yamaha synths, and my E5000 Sampler (with about 20 disks of sounds), I've probably used less than 200 different sounds over the past 5 years. I gravitate to my favorite 20 or so 75% of the time. Buy the one with the most sounds you think are USABLE for the styles of music you'll be doing.

If they are similar in the number of useful sounds, then buy the Korg for the extras.

Just my $.02.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 09-14-2000, 08:41 PM

very good point. thanks I william
Old 09-14-2000, 09:40 PM

LW, you just listed three rack spaces in my keys rack. D110, TX 81z, M1r. We've been having this same conversation over in AOL's midi forum. The D110, powerful for it's time is pretty thin sounding & the TXs are only 4 op FMs that fall way short of TX or DX 7 sounds, the M1r is about the only one of the three that ever gets used. And it for mostly the same stuff you mentioned.

Back in those days tho, it was awesome just to have a multi multi synth with dynamic voice allocation, uno?

And like you, I find a hand full of patches on my newer gear that I grab & use most of the time while thousands of useless patches sit idle in boxes that only serve to light up my racks to make the uninformed think I really have lots of cool gear.

My interest in the NX5 & the JV1010 was just to have something cheap & simple midi'd up to my Digi 001 full time to grab decent sounds from when a novice is in the studio & doesn't really have a prefered keyboard or module. something I could find a couple dozen GOOD USABLE sounds from & have a simple way to call them up if the client brings in his Casio or concertmate keyboard to record some demo with.

Somehow I get the feeling there isn't a huge night & day difference in those modules that sell for $500 or less. <vbg>

One last thing LW? Remember when we bot the D110 & TX modules ? & we would've killed for the piano sounds that are now a dime a dozen in the home entertainment keyboards? But all we could get for the budget was a DX7 layered with a Mirage? <VBG> and 8 voices seemed like a lot?

[This message has been edited by The Patch Chord (edited September 14, 2000).]
Old 09-15-2000, 10:06 AM

Ohmygoodness - I haven't heard anyone mention the Mirage in a while. It was fun - a whopping 64K of RAM and 8 whole bits (if I recall correctly). I learned what looping samples was all about from that.

On a more modern note, I use the GM set on my Korg 03R/W when playing around with a new song. It's quick and dirty, but gets you in the ballpark.

It's handy to have at least one GM set for those Band-in-a-Box-type quickies.

I have the Nanopiano and some nice sampled Grands (on the E5000) for the pianos now. I couldn't imagine using the D110 "Stereo Grand" or the Proteus 1 version. Yuk!

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.