Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2011, 01:13 PM

Default can anyone help me with using the sansamp plugin?

I recently purchased the m audio fast track usb v2 that comes with pro tools m-powered essentials. As im a student i wanted a small device (not too expensive) that i can record guitars and vocals with. I currently dont have enough money to upgrade to the full version of m-powered which comes with a version of the eleven plug-in, so therefore i am stuck with the sansamp plug-in. If anyone knows any decent settings (or what i should set the conrol knobs to) for a punk rock sound or a metal sound as the pre-sets i have dont sound that great. I know really if i want a good tone i should mic up an amplifier, but being at uni i dont have the space to keep my amplifier in my flat so i have to model using the plugin. If anyone would like to help me out it would be most aprreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 PM

Default Re: can anyone help me with using the sansamp plugin?

Dude, Im going to answer this because you are a student and I know that no one else around here would probably respond. Remember this advice for the rest of your audio life!

EXPERIMENT....This is the only way for you to learn what all your plugins are capable of...Turn each knob and see what it does! There is no one size fits all size (Even for punk rock guitar) There are too many variables for a one size fits all solution to any mixing/recording

Ask yourself what makes punk guitar sound like punk guitar, and then tweak accordingly.....good place to start is with the "Drive" knob. Punk is all about ugly sound, distortion and lots of gritty feedback (hint)

And I wouldn't say "stuck" with sansamp...there are a lot of pro guys out there who only get a DI track and use sansamp to dirty up those guitar tones....
Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Default Re: can anyone help me with using the sansamp plugin?

Cheers for the help. Ive been experimenting a bit and found a few 'good' tones. Im still yet to find that killer tone im looking for. Im surprised i thought the pro's are more likely to use eleven rather than sansamp if they are recording their guitars DI. Once again thanks for the help, its most appreciated