Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2019, 03:34 PM

Default Re: PT 2019.10 inbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
That's nothing more than making excuses for Avid's ineptitude, and I realize that that's the motive the second someone suggests 'if you don't like it, leave,' as though sticking around and trying to promote a better product isn't an option we've earned. I wonder if you switch sports teams each time they disappoint. Probably not. I imagine that you yell and moan at the coach or administration and even have suggestions about how they could improve. And that probably feels rational as compared to just switching teams, away from one you're emotionally invested in.

We are HEAVILY financially invested in Avid platforms. In a sense, trapped. Yes, most of us can handle the $399/year (we pay over $2,000/year for the subscription). But what you seem to be forgetting, or are simply allowing to occur in order to justify these actions, is that Avid promised a LOT more activity from their New Features department when this subscription thing began, yet today's version is hardly improved over that from a couple years ago, and is in some ways less reliable. They've not delivered on their promise, plain and simple. And this year they ignored the product with incredible disregard. If you're fine with that, great. But that has no domain over our right as paying customers to demand what we paid for, and the suggestion that we should pack our bags and move on is just ridiculous! I don't like people taking advantage of my company and we will certainly not change our MO, and there's no chance that we'll be hushed by someone whose ability to accept a near breach of contract far outweighs our ambitions for ProTools to become the product that was promised.

You're happy. Honestly, that's wonderful. But keep the preaching to yourself as, apparently, this isn't a fight in which you have any interest or role.
Absolutely spot on Eric!
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 10-30-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
That's nothing more than making excuses for Avid's ineptitude, and I realize that that's the motive the second someone suggests 'if you don't like it, leave,' as though sticking around and trying to promote a better product isn't an option we've earned. I wonder if you switch sports teams each time they disappoint. Probably not. I imagine that you yell and moan at the coach or administration and even have suggestions about how they could improve. And that probably feels rational as compared to just switching teams, away from one you're emotionally invested in.

We are HEAVILY financially invested in Avid platforms. In a sense, trapped. Yes, most of us can handle the $399/year (we pay over $2,000/year for the subscription). But what you seem to be forgetting, or are simply allowing to occur in order to justify these actions, is that Avid promised a LOT more activity from their New Features department when this subscription thing began, yet today's version is hardly improved over that from a couple years ago, and is in some ways less reliable. They've not delivered on their promise, plain and simple. And this year they ignored the product with incredible disregard. If you're fine with that, great. But that has no domain over our right as paying customers to demand what we paid for, and the suggestion that we should pack our bags and move on is just ridiculous! I don't like people taking advantage of my company and we will certainly not change our MO, and there's no chance that we'll be hushed by someone whose ability to accept a near breach of contract far outweighs our ambitions for ProTools to become the product that was promised.

You're happy. Honestly, that's wonderful. But keep the preaching to yourself as, apparently, this isn't a fight in which you have any interest or role.
Post of the Thread award
I think Avid has been struggling for a long time. If you stayed off this message board and locked down your computer like many do, finding a stable OS/PT version that works, liberating yourself from the subscription, then Pro Tools would be a great solution for you. But what drives the frustration is multifold.

First, (for Mac users) is the incessant OS updates that Avid can't keep up with

Second, is the need to satiate users with different needs, complicating the development of updates

Third, is the shrinking user base that is leaving an ever increasing gaping hole in Avid's revenue stream. Which translates to streamlining (cutting) software engineering development teams. So less quality updates means less users, which means Avid has to cut more software development engineers which means even less quality updates, etc etc.

Fourth, is the ever evolving technology that Avid is struggling to keep up with due to loss in revenue.

Fifth, the insatiable need to pander to shareholders with ever increasing profit margins, which translates to increasing the cost to users to make up for the loss in overall users.

I could go on and on, but the cumulative effect on Avid and Pro Tools is that its development is slowing, while cost to the user is increasing (bad combination). Forget the promised benefits the subscription model was supposed to deliver, Avid is struggling to just pay the bills.

Avid would love to deliver and make all their customers happy, what company wouldn't, but they are trying to stay solvent. So we are stuck in an endless cycle of customer cost increases that deliver less and less content. Eventually we'll reach a breaking point where Avid can no longer deliver even the most basic updates without demanding an unreasonable price. At that point, Avid will be faced with selling off and liquidating its product line. When will we get to that point I don't know, but I think 10 years seems about right.

For many of us, HDX is the last investment we'll ever make in Pro Tools hardware. Once HDX is no longer supported, most of us will move on to another DAW/Hardware combination. In ten years (just a guess, could be sooner could be later), computer, DAW and hardware technology will create the perfect storm that will make Avid irrelevant. DSP hardware will be unnecessary (some agree it already is) for even the most demanding environments. DAWs will have matured to meet/exceed the requirements of any serious pro.

Right now, if I was Avid, I would be listening and agressively pursuing customer feedback to develop a long term strategy that will keep the company going. I would cut salaries for top execs...the CEO doesn't need to make almost $5M a year when his company is flailing aimlessly into the abyss of irrelevance. They need to go back to basics or wind up like Gibson, bankrupt and starting over from scratch, with the recipe that made them successful in the first place.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman

Last edited by jasonkalman; 10-30-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Well said! You make a valid point here!
Old 10-30-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Everyone thinks otherwise. Yes, even post engineers (we have quite a few) find this update to be blah.

No one should apologize for stirring up controversy about this. It's borderline fraud, and some would argue that it's not even borderline at this point.
Yep! I would have to agree! Shocking!
Old 10-31-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Exactly that. I came back to Pro Tools after a serious detour to Cubase. The interface, the handling of PT is for me incomparable, despite major defects. The habit too, because I learned about PT. But this passage in Cubase allowed me to like (not all) functions that I would like to see in PT. So why keep quiet? Many PT users are never going to look elsewhere. They do not know how the world is changing and therefore can not measure the delays of their DAW. Everything is in balance. We only want a reasonable development compared to the competition. That's what Avid promised. ARA2, for example (there are others), is a revolution. Is Avid working on it seriously?
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 10-31-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
ARA2, for example (there are others), is a revolution. Is Avid working on it seriously?
I have heard no word, but then again probably never will until if ever they make a release
Old 10-31-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I have heard no word, but then again probably never will until if ever they make a release

Hi JF,

ARA2 is a must, I think (and it's shared!). Too bad there is no open development plan for items of this importance.

• Etc.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:13 AM

2019.10 appearing in your accounts now.

New Features and Enhancements
Pro Tools® and Pro Tools | Ultimate software version 2019.10 provides the following new features and enhancements.

Bounce Multiple Stems to a Single Interleaved File
Lets you bounce multiple stems to a single BWF file.

Scan Audio Files for Irregularities
Lets you scan audio files for irregularities in the workspace.

SMPTE ID in WAV Files
New metadata included in all WAV files generated by Pro Tools.

Exclude Non-Timeline Related Clips
Lets you import AAFs with only the clips used on the timeline.

Cut All Automation Key Commands
Pro Tools provides macOS and Windows keyboard shortcuts for cutting all automation in a selection.

Increased Channel Count for Core Audio with Dolby ATMOS Production Suite
Increases the number of output channels with Core Audio for Dolby Atmos® Production Suite (macOS only).

Steep Breakpoint Smoothing Time Preference
The Steep Breakpoint Smoothing Time preference (Preferences > Mixing) lets you set a minimum delay time in milliseconds to help avoid pops or clicks due to abrupt changes in volume or pan automation.

Logging Enhancements
New Preferences and user interface optimizations for recording and collecting dlogs, AVE logs, and reporting AVE crashes.

Pro Tools Analytics
Opt-in (or Opt-out) to provide Avid with anonymous information on feature use to inform development, and improve stability and per- formance.

Updated Avid Video Engine
The new, updated Avid Video Engine (AVE) provides several video engine improvements, including:
• Support for more Frame Rates and Raster Sizes
• Improved performance with H264 media

MTRX DigiLink I/O Card
Support for MTRX DigiLink I/O cards with Pro Tools | MTRX.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post
If you aren't happy with the way things are going, jump ship! No one is stopping you, the grass might even be greener .. ? Who knows? This forum won't fix your dissatisfaction, only you can.
Many (myself included) have jumped ship and many more will as Avid continues to simply run this thing into the ground.

When you have built a career/business over decades, switching to a different DAW is not a trivial decision. All the time and money you have invested is simply thown away. There are a few DAWs out there that are a perfectly viable alternative to Pro Tools but learning a new workflow is not something anyone really wants to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_BE View Post
great - but why do you waste your time in the avid community????
People are'nt complaining just to be contrary. I think most folks hope that Avid reads at least some of the comments here with the belief it's a possible avenue of feedback. Even though I personally have switched to another DAW, I still check in and read (I hardly ever post anything anymore) with the hope that something will improve and I'll be compelled to give Avid my money and switch back to Pro Tools.

What I don't understand is why there is a consistent few here that feel compelled to defend Avid's behavior. Maybe its some form of battered spouse syndrome...
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
Post of the Thread award
I think Avid has been struggling for a long time. If you stayed off this message board and locked down your computer like many do, finding a stable OS/PT version that works, liberating yourself from the subscription, then Pro Tools would be a great solution for you. But what drives the frustration is multifold.

First, (for Mac users) is the incessant OS updates that Avid can't keep up with

Second, is the need to satiate users with different needs, complicating the development of updates

Third, is the shrinking user base that is leaving an ever increasing gaping hole in Avid's revenue stream. Which translates to streamlining (cutting) software engineering development teams. So less quality updates means less users, which means Avid has to cut more software development engineers which means even less quality updates, etc etc.

Fourth, is the ever evolving technology that Avid is struggling to keep up with due to loss in revenue.

Fifth, the insatiable need to pander to shareholders with ever increasing profit margins, which translates to increasing the cost to users to make up for the loss in overall users.

I could go on and on, but the cumulative effect on Avid and Pro Tools is that its development is slowing, while cost to the user is increasing (bad combination). Forget the promised benefits the subscription model was supposed to deliver, Avid is struggling to just pay the bills.

Avid would love to deliver and make all their customers happy, what company wouldn't, but they are trying to stay solvent. So we are stuck in an endless cycle of customer cost increases that deliver less and less content. Eventually we'll reach a breaking point where Avid can no longer deliver even the most basic updates without demanding an unreasonable price. At that point, Avid will be faced with selling off and liquidating its product line. When will we get to that point I don't know, but I think 10 years seems about right.

For many of us, HDX is the last investment we'll ever make in Pro Tools hardware. Once HDX is no longer supported, most of us will move on to another DAW/Hardware combination. In ten years (just a guess, could be sooner could be later), computer, DAW and hardware technology will create the perfect storm that will make Avid irrelevant. DSP hardware will be unnecessary (some agree it already is) for even the most demanding environments. DAWs will have matured to meet/exceed the requirements of any serious pro.

Right now, if I was Avid, I would be listening and agressively pursuing customer feedback to develop a long term strategy that will keep the company going. I would cut salaries for top execs...the CEO doesn't need to make almost $5M a year when his company is flailing aimlessly into the abyss of irrelevance. They need to go back to basics or wind up like Gibson, bankrupt and starting over from scratch, with the recipe that made them successful in the first place.
Well seen. The portrait looks good.

One way to get more money by being useful: to sell, on the basis of Vanilla, ultimate single functions. I could never pay for Ultimate, because my system based on only one Prismsound Atlas is enough for me (and it's a common case type). But there are functions that I would buy, such as object editing or clip replacement.
On the other hand, Avid should develop the software part further for creation and double their Vanilla base (or even creating a parallel Daw based on PT). Once the development is done at this level, the profit is superior VS the expense, because each sale costs nothing or almost, whereas the sale of equipment implies a cost of production (and more: distribution, transport, sales and support) at each sale. Another idea: to completely separate into two companies (or two separate entities) the software part and the hadware part.

• Etc.