Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: 11 days to go lets speculate

Quote:
from a post on another forum

The 003HD-LE is coming.
I doubted it at first, but just heard from a source I respect that le will be moving more towards Hd.... Now that I think about it it makes sense.. Let m-powered into le territory and bump up Le... So my new speculation is that Le will be like a not too expandable hd1.... Not all the firepower obv, but more than we've ever seen with Le. Before i was excited just because it meant I was gonna get new gear. Wasn't expecting anything too flashy... but now I'm starting to wonder what this whole things gonna shake down into...

okokok... plus i just realized... The M-audio lightbridge lets you run 34x36 up to 48, the you also get smux with it.. That 34 channels of simulaneous record channels... for $500... The 003 better be able to give me 34 simultaneous inputs... If they give that to m-powered, but don't put that in the next LE interface I'm gonna be a little peaved.. I mean, honestly though... That means that for $800, (500 for the interface and 300 for the M-powered software, I could be recording twice the simultaneous tracks than I can with my 002r, and I paid a little more than $800 for it. Plus the thing has midi and word clock right on it, plus headphone jack, and one set of analog outs... I guess this things been out, but now I feel like I'm gettin washed staying with le all of a sudden. Plus the MPt which I just spent 495 for works with m-powered too... Help me out here.. Does anyone know what the disadvantages to M-powered are? Is there something le can do that it cant at this point????

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 01-05-2007, 01:02 AM

You can't upgrade to the DV Toolkit with the M-powered version.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:06 AM

It would make sense for them to move digi series into a baby HD type, im pretty sure for the next HD systems digi will add MADI and loads of it as well, as well as new i/o's with MADI. One thing i would say Digi are very good at listening so we will probably get something very near to what we hope for. BTW for distibuted processing i use Wormhole works on mac and pc it is very stable only downside is latency calculations, what i do to counter is this i aheva MIX system on a mac dual 867 i have a mpowered PC on core2duo 2.13ghz. When im maxed out on the mix i add wormhole to an insert and pass the audio to the PC systems add plugins and monitor form the PC (m-audio 24/96 via spdif) now if you ensure the buffers are similar on both and the smaple rate is the same youll get very little latency issues only very very slight flanging. You can also set it up as an insert to go back to the mix but that seems to throw up random latency problems. On the whole it is very very good indeed certainly a tool for mixing. go to www.plasq.com to download a demo.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 AM

I have spent ages searching for clues and apart from a few forums speculating there isn't really anything out there?
I have had 002 desk since V5 and I have to say apart from a few teething probs (Power harness and the firewire card burning out) I love the 002. I soon got a optical interface to give me an extra 8 in.

I will seriously consider an upgrade to a 003 HD if it comes with some nice extras, I'll be intersted to see what/if/when it comes out the additions will be compared to an 002.
I would like to see more than 48 tracks and at least 24 ins plus some nice expansion capabilites.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:11 AM

Hmm looking at the link it would seem the digi003 would just have more ins/outs and better firewire conectivity. hope it at leaste has some dsp as that would make a good product great indeed.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:42 AM

Ok, replying to myself here.. I was just told by someone that the M-audio lightbridge even though it does 34 simultaneous inputs, in Pt, will only record 16 at a time... Sucks that they'd make hardware that can do something that the software can't.. but still, you could use those extra 16 for aux's I'm assuming...

The Note Music
Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 PM

18 including SPDIF.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 PM

"but still, you could use those extra 16 for aux's I'm assuming... "

Wrong. All the limitations of the 002R, 002 and any LE based product.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:05 PM

Look everyone, I can understand the excitement and everything, but the thing is;

the only people who know anything about any future Digi developments are a very select few up the top of the chain and the developers themselves. Most people even at Digidesign don't know what's happening - absolutely anything you've heard from anyone is pure speculation, from features to the date of arrival.

Personally, I'll be amazed if the 003 introduces any kind of DSP to the LE line. I reckon it'll be a simple upgrade from the 002 - more I/O, better converters/pres/clock, wordclock, two headphone outs, maybe a 16-fader control surface version.

What I can tell you for sure is; there will be no new Digi hardware at Winter NAMM, sorry.

Sonny
Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 PM

buzzkill..... just kidding, at this point only time will tell..

The Note Music