Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 04-01-2020, 09:06 AM

Default PT 2018 Tascam & exclusive control option

I have recently installed PT 2018.4 and purchased a TASCAM Series 102i I/O device. Once PT is launched, it seems to take control of the I/O device to the point that no other audio can be played back thru it, i.e YouTube videos from my computer. If I re-seat the USB connection, then audio will flow from my computer, but that same action disengages PT audio and that has to be reset, which again nullifies my computer audio.

Tascam says that PT has an "EXCLUSIVE CONTROL" option that is doing this.

NO OTHER I/O device has this issue and I've used plenty of them.

Has anyone heard of the "EXCLUSIVE CONTROL" option?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:35 AM

Default Re: PT 2018 Tascam & exclusive control option

Are you on Windows? Best practice is to make your onboard soundcard the default for Windows sounds/audio and leave your interface exclusively for Pro Tools. Some manufacturer's drivers allow their interface to be multi-client, ie able to be used by more than one program. From the sounds of it, the Tascam drivers do not allow this.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-01-2020, 02:45 PM

What he said^^^^ That's the best practice for Window users. So, now you are wondering how you are going to listen to youtube(etc) thru your studio speakers. right? There are several possible solutions at several price points.
Here are some suggestions:

#1-(cheapest at under $50) buy one of the baby mixers from Behringer, Alto, etc. All you need is 2 stereo inputs(1 set from your interface for Pro Tools) and the other set for the on-board sound card output. This allows you to hear both(even at the same time, which can be handy for either learning songs from the internet, or comparing your mix against some internet music)

#2-Get a Monitor/Source selector(like Audient NERO, Mackie Big Knob or Presonus Monitor Station). That allows you to select WHICH signal you hear on your speakers. Advantage of this is that you can also connect multiple sets of speakers(with or without a subwoofer), and, many computers have a digital SPDIF output(optical or RCA) and some switchers(like the NERO) allow for digital connections. The digital output of most computers will sound better than the analog(mini-TRS) output. Monitor/source switchers can cost from $150, all the way up to thousands for full surround capability. For me, the NERO(at $499) is tops on my wish list(to replace my aging Presonus Central Station), but option #1 is just fine for a home-recordist

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-01-2020, 04:10 PM

That NERO is really nice for the price.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction