Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Info for anyone using Nomad Factory plug-ins

Hi, all. If you are a windows user and you have plug-ins by Nomad Factory, I have some info that might be of use.

These plug-ins have VST 32-bit, VST 64-bit, AAX 32-bit, and RTAS versions. Five of them have AAX 64-bit versions as well.

If you're like me, and you use both the AAX 64-bit and RTAS versions, you might find that one version is missing presets. Any preset you save in a 32-bit version might not be accessible in the 64-bit version. I'll tell you why...

The 32- and 64-bit versions do not share the same preset path. Which is strange.
  • The 32-bit versions reference this path for presets: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nomad Factory\Plug-In Settings
  • The 64-bit versions reference this path for presets: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Nomad Factory\Plug-In Settings

In order to make these share a directory, you can create a symbolic link. Backup your presets. Open a cmd.exe and use this:
Code:
mklink /d "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Nomad Factory\Plug-In Settings" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nomad Factory\Plug-In Settings"
Then make sure your presets are there. What this does is redirect from your user folder to the real presets folder in Program Files. Now any presets you make will be accessible to both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of these plug-ins.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Info for anyone using Nomad Factory plug-ins

Hi

Jist wanted to ask about the Nomad Factory plugins, they have a sale on their studio bundle of 50 plugins for $199 and you get basically their whole product line and seeing we never owned any NF plugins I wanted to ask if they are good,great or awesome and if the bundle for 199 dollars is worth it and not just 3 or 4 plugins that is actually useful. Its like the Magma Chassi with 65 plugins for 99 dollars on sale, we get suspicious when they sell 50+ plugins for less than a third of MSRP.

So how good are these guys

Thanks a lot in advance
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 PM

They are mostly just good. Magnetic and echoes are great. Perhaps more. I haven't tried them all. :)

Phone +46707773443
Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 PM

I got the bundle a couple of years ago. It's worth it. I REALLY like the Blue Tube plugs. I've asked them countless times, though, about AAX64 plans, and they said they're working on it. Sound familiar? Using Blue Cat Audio Patchwork, though, lets me wrap all of the 64-bit VSTs (BBE Sonic Suite inclusive) and it works just fine. Using Patchwork for UA Powered Plugins as well.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldStudios View Post
They are mostly just good. Magnetic and echoes are great. Perhaps more. I haven't tried them all. :)
Thanks Guys!

I was thinking maybe we have enough eq's and comps etc and that out of the 50 plugins we would maybe use like 10-15 of them and the rest (pε kφpet) but again Thanks for popping in and saying what you think.
4 dollars a plugin .. I guess not all of them will sound good or even OK..

Best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I wanted to ask if they are good,great or awesome and if the bundle for 199 dollars is worth it and not just 3 or 4 plugins that is actually useful.
I actually bought the $199 pack three days ago, which is why I ended up encountering this problem. I bought Magma a couple months ago and it really helped fill some gaps.

I haven't had time to try them all, but there are a few that I spent time with that I really like.
  • E-Retrovox is a lot of fun, and automating the gramophone parameters can result in some very cool, musical filter sweeps.
  • Pulsetec EQ's are pretty good. I don't know how they stack up against other pultec emulations, but I like the Nomad version.
  • The NEQ is useful. Not spectacular, but definitely worth checking out.
  • I really like the ALLTECH equalizer. No frills, great for small tweaks.
  • Echoes is great, almost worth the bundle price just for this one plug-in.
  • Magnetic is worth checking out. Again, there are many "tape saturation" plug-ins, and this is really subjective stuff.

Be aware that Cosmos is not included in the pack (but I wish it was, because it's amazing). The BBE stuff is not included, either. Also know that only three plug-ins in this pack are 64-bit AAX (Magnetic, Magnetic 2, and Echos).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I'm sure there are other plug-ins that are better at certain things than these, there are so many boutique Pultec and Tape emulations out there... But there's a lot of good, usable stuff in this pack. I just hope they port more of it to AAX2 in the coming months.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 PM

Hey Thanks a bundle Mesaone

That actually makes me wanna jump on that $199 and it as you say subjective and depends on music style and taste of course. Just wanted to hear from you guys before we buy them. I am not concerned about the 200 dollars rather than having 50 plugins and only 2-3 of them useful but as you, sw rec and Johan said, there are a few or more that actually is worth the price alone so I am in. Buying the bundle now as I feel demoing 50 plugins will be rather tedious and time consuming so again Thanks a lot for helping out here

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
I've asked them countless times, though, about AAX64 plans, and they said they're working on it. Sound familiar?
Yeah, I asked about the same thing. This was their response: "We are planning on upgrading some of the integral pack, but we have no set release date for any of it. For now you can use Magma's VST chainer to load any ISP3 plug-in inside of PT11 AAX." ... So my prediction is that the British bundle might be upgraded, but that'll probably be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
as you, sw rec and Johan said, there are a few or more that actually is worth the price alone so I am in.
You know, it's like buying an album. A couple good songs, and most likely a handful of forgettable ones. But I am a big fan of how Magma handles things, and there are some great little units in there (Claritone, Trance Gate, and several more). My satisfaction with Magma is what led me to drop another $200 on the bundle.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:36 PM

"We are planning on upgrading some of the integral pack, but we have no set release date for any of it. For now you can use Magma's VST chainer to load any ISP3 plug-in inside of PT11 AAX."

Get Patchwork ($63) and you can use 'em all as VSTs as well.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Get Patchwork ($63) and you can use 'em all as VSTs as well.
Huh? Patchwork and Magma's VST Chainer do the same thing.