Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 AM

Default Splitting Stereo to Mono with Playlists

I have some vocal tracks that were laid down on stereo tracks, with playlists. All the sound is on the right track only, with the left blank. There are about 6 tracks, each with 5-7 playlists of various takes in them. I'd like to split these into mono to get rid of the blank left side and comp and process everything in mono. I can split the main stereo track, but the playlists don't. Is there a way to split a track so that all the playlist takes follow along with the split? I can't find it in the manual, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Splitting Stereo to Mono with Playlists

Hmm, this could get convoluted. First thing I would do is split the track to stereo and see what happens with the playlists(if you are in Playlist view, I would expect the split mono versions to also be in that view). If you get lucky, you end up with 2 new mono tracks, and one of them will have all the audio. If that doesn't happen, then I would create a new mono audio track, and add 7 playlists. Then highlight each playlist's audio, hit copy, then move up/down(P and : keys) to a blank playlist on your new track, and paste. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to copy what you need. Then Hide and Make Inactive, all the leftovers.

Option 2; set both PAN knobs of your stereo track to center and comp as usual. When you are finished, copy the comp to a mono track, or split to mono and hide what you don't need.

According to my signature, there's probably 2 more ways to do this

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmm, this could get convoluted. First thing I would do is split the track to stereo and see what happens with the playlists(if you are in Playlist view, I would expect the split mono versions to also be in that view). If you get lucky, you end up with 2 new mono tracks, and one of them will have all the audio. If that doesn't happen, then I would create a new mono audio track, and add 7 playlists. Then highlight each playlist's audio, hit copy, then move up/down(P and : keys) to a blank playlist on your new track, and paste. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to copy what you need. Then Hide and Make Inactive, all the leftovers.

Option 2; set both PAN knobs of your stereo track to center and comp as usual. When you are finished, copy the comp to a mono track, or split to mono and hide what you don't need.

According to my signature, there's probably 2 more ways to do this
Thanks, Dave. Already tried the split you mentioned, but no, it doesn't appear that the playlists split. No playlists show up at all in the two new mono tracks, so on splitting they "disappear". That's why I asked my question. Both your options I had thought of already, probably option 2 is easiest. I've done the copy to new track thing in option 1 many times before. Annoying!

I was hoping there was a way to split a stereo track with playlists into 2 mono that would preserve the playlists. That's what I can't seem to find how to do!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 AM

funny other way :
select the clip in the main playlist
right-click, matching alternative - expand to new tracks
select all expanded tracks - split into mono
delete all expanded "mother" stereo tracks
delete all ".L" tracks
(maybe move the clips to a playlist in the main mono track via ctrl+drag)
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 08-04-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
funny other way :
select the clip in the main playlist
right-click, matching alternative - expand to new tracks
select all expanded tracks - split into mono
delete all expanded "mother" stereo tracks
delete all ".L" tracks
(maybe move the clips to a playlist in the main mono track via ctrl+drag)
Hey, thanks, that might speed it up a bit. I forgot about that feature! When you don't use them everyday, they tend to go in the back-up reserve file in your brain!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060