Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2020, 09:37 AM

Default EUControl not working as Makie or HUI with Studio One?

I've been trying for days to get my MC Mix & Control working but nothing I try gets Mackie or HUI mode working in Studio One.

I've added the app in EUcontrol in system pref tried HUI & Mackie, rebooted several times but nothing then today I've installed the latest EUControl 20.6.1.3 and the option for HUI & Mackie are now missing. I've searched & searched on the web but can't find any clues as to why it won't work.

The only thing I can think of is in OSX audio/Midi page it shows one device as Euphonix MIDI with 4 ports, but if I open that the box marked "Device is online" is unticked, it's all greyed out so you can't edit anything anyway.

Anyone got any tips as to how to the controllers to work in Studio One? works fine in Pro Tools & Logic.

Much appreciated if anyone can help.

Last edited by Captain Al; 07-16-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:08 PM

Default Re: EUControl not working as Makie or HUI with Studio One?

Since most of us here are Pro Tools users, I think you'll get more help in the Studio One forums. I didn't even know that Eucon is capable of acting with HUI or Mackie protocol(or can it??)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-16-2020, 01:02 AM

Thanks for the reply Dave, yep EUCon has been able to do HUI & Mackie emulation from the start, unfortunately, the drivers are pretty iffy. I spent hours trying to sort it, in the end, I downloaded as many of the latest updates as I could and spent time uninstalling & reinstalling each to see if any worked. I particularly liked the latest EUControl is so bad it's even lost the option for HUI or Mackie in the System preferences pane :) I thought maybe it does both now but nope nothing worked.

I found an old forum post here talking about using the MIDI Driver from version 3.6 the old version before it was re-written, I installed that version and bingo it worked straight away. I gave up at that point & got on with work but tomorrow I'll try installing a later version of EUCON but replace the MIDI driver from 3.6.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Al View Post
Thanks for the reply Dave, yep EUCon has been able to do HUI & Mackie emulation from the start, unfortunately, the drivers are pretty iffy. I spent hours trying to sort it, in the end, I downloaded as many of the latest updates as I could and spent time uninstalling & reinstalling each to see if any worked. I particularly liked the latest EUControl is so bad it's even lost the option for HUI or Mackie in the System preferences pane :) I thought maybe it does both now but nope nothing worked.

I found an old forum post here talking about using the MIDI Driver from version 3.6 the old version before it was re-written, I installed that version and bingo it worked straight away. I gave up at that point & got on with work but tomorrow I'll try installing a later version of EUCON but replace the MIDI driver from 3.6.

Please lemme know how it goes. I'm testing out Studio One right now and I recently found out the shortcomings of the new Eucon drivers not installing midi ports in macOS. I've installed Eucontrol 18.? (I forget) and the midi ports showed up in Studio One but my artist mix wasn't working with Studio One.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:28 AM

I installed MIDI Driver from Eucontrol 3.6 and the MIDI Ports show up in Studio One but my Artist Mix still won't connect to Studio One. So I'm running Eucontrol 20.6.1.3 with Midi Drivers from old Eucontrol 3.6

I think I'm just gonna install all of 3.6 and see what's up.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:47 AM

Ok so I just installed Eucontrol 3.6 for OSX. I'm on macOS 10.13.6. Euphonix Ports shows up in Studio One just like Eucontrol 18.3. But My Artist Mix is still not connecting to Studio One. I've dragged Studio One application into the Eucon control panel in settings. Is there anything else I need to do? I've created an external Mackie Control device and tried every port. I've also tried Mackie HUI device. hmmmm
Old 07-29-2020, 09:46 AM
Avid

Did you check our Application guide for this? I know if you manage to get the MIDI devices to show up it should all work.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Did you check our Application guide for this? I know if you manage to get the MIDI devices to show up it should all work.

The Eucontrol Application setup? I glanced at it but didn't see anything in there I haven't done already.

I was able to get one way communcation with Studio One with Eucontrol 3.6. Was able to solo, mute, control fader but not feedback from Studio One into the Artist Mix.

Everything broke when I installed Eucontrol 19.12 with 3.6 Midi Driver.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Everything broke when I installed Eucontrol 19.12 with 3.6 Midi Driver.
Did you check/upgrade the firmware in the Artist MIX? Different versions of EuControl may require a different firmware to be installed in the device!
Old 07-29-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post
Did you check/upgrade the firmware in the Artist MIX? Different versions of EuControl may require a different firmware to be installed in the device!

Well when I said everything broke I meant Studio One's one way communication with the Artist Mix. Yeah I checked the firmware but from everything I've read on the Presonus forum, people actually had to downgrade their firmware (along with the Eucontrol version) in order to get the Aritst Mix and Studio One 5 to work.

So basically what's going on is after Eucontrol 18.3... Eucon software no longer installs the Euphonix MIDI Drivers, which Studio One needs in order to even assign the Artist Mix to a port. One user of Studio One 4 actually loaded up Studio One 3 just so Studio One 4 would recognize the Artist Mix.

I got one way communication to work with Studio One 5 and the Artist Mix with Eucontrol v3.6.

When I install Eucontrol 19.12... it gets rid of the Euphonix MIDI ports in OSX Audio Midi Setup... so no MIDI ports in Studio One. I then take the MIDI driver from Eucontrol v3.6 via Pacifist and put it in it's proper folder so that the Euphonix MIDI Ports show up in the Mac's Audio MIDI Setup and Studio One's external device preferences. But the combination of Eucontrol 19.12 and midi driver from 3.6 breaks the one way communication my Artist Mix had with Studio One.