Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-20-2018, 12:31 PM

Default CPU Spikes SOLUTION for Protools 12.6 (may work on other version too)

I think I found a solution for the cpu spikes in protools for windows 10.

No sure how to do these steps in other version of windows or mac (or if its the same) but if you can figure out how to get to the same window then try it and let me know if it works.

(while protools is running with a session open) If you open task manager, click more details on the bottom, then go to the details tab on the top (between users and services), find protools and right click on it, click on "set affinity", turn off core 0 or 1 (I believe that any of the cores being turned off may work, but I only turn off core 0 out of 12 on my cpu).

you should see the 100% spike go down to what your actually cpu usage is at (which can be viewed on the task manager on the tab "processes"

If I didn't work, make sure you disable any heavy plugins like AAD or ozone stuff, etc... by pressing the ctrl and windows key together and click on the plugin. bypassing the plugin (when it turns blue) does not turn it off. it must turn dark grey.

The only problem with this solution is that it has to be applied every new session you open, or every time you open protools which is a pain.

Let me know if this worked or did not work for you.

Also, if you know a way to make it so you don't have to apply this solution every time you open a new session then I would love to hear it.

If you are a computer wiz and could let me know why that is happening then I would greatly appreciate that too!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:32 PM

Default Re: CPU Spikes SOLUTION for Protools 12.6 (may work on other version too)

Long Thread about this already.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-22-2018, 12:10 PM

Default Re: CPU Spikes SOLUTION for Protools 12.6 (may work on other version too)

Ya ive seen all of them. wasnt aware of anyone posting this solution so i thought i might as well instead of replying to every thread. I havent seen anyone with this solution but if there is a thread with it, sorry for making another one.