Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 PM

Default Please help with setting up a K2000 through a Tascam US 1800 as a MIDI input

I've finally got the Tascam US 1800 connected and working but having trouble setting up the MIDI. I'm not sure if it might be a setting in the K2000 or PT11 or both but nothing's working. Please help.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Please help with setting up a K2000 through a Tascam US 1800 as a MIDI input

To clarify, the setup is Kurzweil K2000 to Tascam US 1800 via MIDI, Tascam US 1800 to Windows 8.1 PC via USB and software is Pro Tools 11. This is the last step I need to do to get my rig working afaik. I've tried looking it up but everything I've found so far has been connecting directly instead of through the Tascam interface. My PC doesn't have a MIDI port though and the K2000 doesn't have a USB output. I know there's got to be a way to make it work. I am still very new to this setup and to Pro Tools in general so I'm probably missing something fairly simple; I hope anyway. If you have any experience with a similar setup and have any advice, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Please help with setting up a K2000 through a Tascam US 1800 as a MIDI input

Make sure you have the MIDI out of the K2000 going to the MIDI in of the Tascam and the MIDI in of the K2000 coming from the MIDI out of the Tascam. People tend to get these things confused. And don't forget to install any drivers for the Tascam.

Then go through the usual setup in PT (read the user's guide aka The Manual) for this.

QAPLA!
Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 PM

Thank you for your reply! I definitely have the cables hooked up correctly and I know they're good cables. I'm thinking it has something to do with the either the MIDI Studio Setup or Peripherals. I looked in the manual but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

ADDITIONAL: While re-reading, I noticed that the manual (Pro Tools Reference Guide.pdf) says it (MSS) should automatically find MIDI devices but I had to manually set mine up. Maybe it doesn't realize that the TASCAM US-1800 is sending both audio data and MIDI data?

Last edited by sdigit; 12-17-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-18-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdigit View Post
Thank you for your reply! I definitely have the cables hooked up correctly and I know they're good cables. I'm thinking it has something to do with the either the MIDI Studio Setup or Peripherals. I looked in the manual but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

ADDITIONAL: While re-reading, I noticed that the manual (Pro Tools Reference Guide.pdf) says it (MSS) should automatically find MIDI devices but I had to manually set mine up. Maybe it doesn't realize that the TASCAM US-1800 is sending both audio data and MIDI data?
Have you installed the drivers for the Tascam? Windows doesn't always find things automatically that developers say it should. I know when I ran a Windows/Sonar 8 rig I had to do all kinds of manual configuration.

QAPLA!
Old 12-19-2014, 10:25 AM

Yes the Tascam drivers are installed.

I contacted Kurzweil about the K2000 and they told me how to put it in a loop to test the MIDI ports and the cables. They responded within 24hrs with a support answer for a machine thats over 20yrs old so KUDO's to them! Anyway, I connected the MIDI in to the MIDI out and set it to only play MIDI through the headphones. I did that and it worked fine. I then tried adding the Tascam US-1800 to that loop and it did not work. I connected the MIDI out from the Kurzweil to the MIDI in on the Tascam and the MIDI out from the Tascam to the MIDI in on the Kurzweil while leaving the Kurzweil settings the way they were and received no signals through the headphones. This leads me to believe it is a problem with the Tascam itself. Either the ports or something else internally. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Tascam...
Old 12-19-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdigit View Post
Yes the Tascam drivers are installed.

I contacted Kurzweil about the K2000 and they told me how to put it in a loop to test the MIDI ports and the cables. They responded within 24hrs with a support answer for a machine thats over 20yrs old so KUDO's to them! Anyway, I connected the MIDI in to the MIDI out and set it to only play MIDI through the headphones. I did that and it worked fine. I then tried adding the Tascam US-1800 to that loop and it did not work. I connected the MIDI out from the Kurzweil to the MIDI in on the Tascam and the MIDI out from the Tascam to the MIDI in on the Kurzweil while leaving the Kurzweil settings the way they were and received no signals through the headphones. This leads me to believe it is a problem with the Tascam itself. Either the ports or something else internally. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Tascam...
As a good check get MIDI monitor software - I think there's free ones for Windows. That will show you for sure if things are getting lost in the Tascam.

QAPLA!