Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 AM

Question cloud storage?

Hello DUC:

Any recommendations for an online storage service that I can communicate with via AFP, and store terabytes of data on?

I'm currently backing up locally with a combination of Retrospect and Time Machine, and I backup offsite with Backblaze. Backblaze is great, but if it doesn't see an external drive for 30 days, it drops the drive's contents from the storage pool. iDisk is great, too, but mine is maxed-out at 60GB and that isn't big enough. I need a place I can store a lot of data offsite long-term, and pay a monthly fee for.

On the other hand, perhaps I should set up my own offsite server somewhere. I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Nathaniel Reichman
music producer – re-recording mixer
(518) 966-2226
Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Avid

Default Re: cloud storage?

I can't say for sure that this will be what you need, but you may want to check out Gobbler:

http://www.getgobbler.com/features
Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Thanks DTS. Gobbler looks great. Great to know about this- even though it looks a little young yet...
Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Avid

I know a couple people using it and say they love it and that it's only getting better. The guys that run Gobbler seem to be pretty interested in what their users want/need and respond quickly.

It's in beta, so you can try it for free and see if it's what you need...
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 AM

Following up on my old post:

CrashPlan so far is meeting all of my needs . They have more features than they did a year ago, and they have some crucial archiving features I really like. Unlimited storage, drives that are offline locally stay in the cloud (and are remembered when they come back online), and like Retrospect, locally deleted files never get deleted from the cloud. The cloud features are the ones I'm most interested in, but there are also features I haven't tested, like managing backups to other computers on your LAN.

The downside is that your upload speeds might be a real bottleneck, on the other hand, Crashplan's data compression on the way up is pretty aggressive. The log shows 34GB packages being compressed to 16GB (!).

Anyway, I increased my upload speeds to make Crashplan faster, and I'll likely stop using Backblaze soon. While I haven't tested all of these, I read enough about JungleDisk, Mozy, Gobbler, and Iron Mountain to think that I've made a good choice.

Nathaniel Reichman
(518) 966-2226
Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Posted over in the General Discussion area. Guy gets booted off Comcast exceeding 250 gigs two months in a row (backing up to cloud, upload limit).

Perhaps this guy was using Carbonite? Metadata with Gobbler is encrypted, there is a lot going on re BMI and cloud storage. Maybe not such a good idea to store MP-3s of session roughs to cloud just yet?

...deleted. However I did sign up for a Gobbler account. They claim to use a proprietary encryption for all METADATA (if using broadcast wave or 64 bit broadcast wave... copyright info, timestamp, etc) most people don't realize their mail is generally sent over unencrypted ports (unless specifically set as in search: Securing Thunderbird ports) so FTP personalized links that expire in 48 hours could still be downloaded by anyone with access to that link. It would be a great feature IMO if the cloud storage app would provide the IP address of recipient and confirmation of download. To me this is just as important as encrypting metadata and compressing Pro Tools/DP/Logic sessions without causing data corruption...

Why it's not a good idea to store final mixes of your client's sessions in the cloud just yet...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...formance.shtml

Free Turkey for beta tester #20,000?

www.gobbler.com
Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Hi Guys,

Awesome convo going on here. I'm Andrew, the community manager from Gobbler. We are a young company (I'm celebrating my first year at the company tomorrow). We've gotten a lot of feedback that has helped us to build a much more scalable, faster & bug free software. We realize we have a long way to go and appreciate all the pro feedback coming from duc.avid.

thanks for being awesome & feel free to hit us up with your thoughts, feelings & ideas at our community page
community.gobbler.com
and I'll be sure to respond ASAP... I don't sleep and I'm all over the communities

To respond to some comments
1. security is our utmost concern. We use AES-256 bit encryption, which is military grade encryption.
2. I'm a media creator & I realize that we don't fit into everyones workflow yet & that's why we are having this beta. Try Gobbler out & let us know what is/is not working for you. If you report to the community, I will log your issue into the system & we will work on getting a fix for your issue as soon as we can

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Hello DUC:

Any recommendations for an online storage service that I can communicate with via AFP, and store terabytes of data on?

I'm currently backing up locally with a combination of Retrospect and Time Machine, and I backup offsite with Backblaze. Backblaze is great, but if it doesn't see an external drive for 30 days, it drops the drive's contents from the storage pool. iDisk is great, too, but mine is maxed-out at 60GB and that isn't big enough. I need a place I can store a lot of data offsite long-term, and pay a monthly fee for.

On the other hand, perhaps I should set up my own offsite server somewhere. I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Nathaniel Reichman
(518) 966-2226
I understand this is quite old, but to add to the discussion, I'd like to share what I did. :)

Your last suggestion is precisely what a friend of mine and I did. I setup a VM for him, he mailed me a 1TB HDD for initial setup, he setup a VM for me and I just transferred my data (only 100GB or so) and we take care of our own backups. I remotely connect to the VM he setup, VPN back to my house (using OpenVPN... its free), and let Microsoft's SyncToy check for and make any changes needed. Locally I have 2 backups of everything as well on different machines, just in case.

If you have a good friend who is tech savvy, this would definitely be the way to go. Granted he and I both already have home servers setup, so it only took a few minutes to get everything going, but even just buying a cheap computer, throwing some harddrives in it, and asking someone if you can keep it at their house and connect it to their internet would be cheaper if you have a ton of data.

Just a thought. :)

Brandon
Old 02-07-2012, 02:44 AM

Very interesting idea Brandon

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.451827,-0.336332

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 02-12-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Hello DUC:

Nathaniel Reichman
(518) 966-2226
Terrabytes off-site?
I wonder what kind of download speed you have. Will you have the time to download the backup if a 500GB drive goes south and your mix continues the next day?
Just wondering what people find so usefull about cloud storage as a backup medium.

frank.