Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2001, 12:03 AM

Default No MTC with configured MTP II\'s

I know that I have OMS and Clockworks set correctly, because I have 41 other MIDI devices working together, albeit with some flamming, but I cannot get MTC from anywhere into PT. I see it on OMS studio test, I see it in the Clockworks or Express Console midi monitors, but it does not get into ProTools. "MTC to port" does go wherever I want it to, but not the other direction.
BUT. . . . .
if I generate MTC from Clockworks, PT sees it.
if I reset memory on the MTP II, PT sees MTC.
As soon as I load either Clockworks or Express console, MTC is blocked.
I tried a USB MIDIsport 2x2, but the associated drivers cause my computer to crash a lot. I will stay away from USB.
What I have done is install a Megawolf Remus card which has two serial ports.
I have my empty memory MTP II on one port for MTC, and two MTP II's on the other port for all the MIDi stuff. It is a botch job, but I can slave ProTools if I have to.
As soon as I can solve the problem, I will use both ports for the MIDI synths and take advantage of the timing improvements. There must be some stupid conflict between the PT-OMS camp, and the Clockworks-FreeMidi camp. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old 06-13-2001, 12:46 AM

Default Re: No MTC with configured MTP II\'s

I'm in the same boat. I have a MTP AV and a MTP II networked. I have a Mackie D8B, HDR 24/96 and a Digi 001. The HDR (hard disk recorder) is the master MTC and the D8B's Apogee card is the master word clock. All settings seem to be correct. I am also getting TC into ClockWorks via the reader, I have TC routed from the HDR into the Network and MTC in. BUT I can't get PTLE to see it!!!! What are we missing.

I have also noticed that using clock works freaks OMS out with too much midi. Is anyone else seeing that?

I have however got my HDR/D8B rig to lock to ProTools so I can still do transferes, so to me it is essentially the same. I would justlike to have it work the other way also.

Any ideas?
Old 06-13-2001, 05:48 AM

I am glad it is not only me because the problem will be easier to kill! I have searched the answerbase and DUC, but it has not gotten this specific.
As far as the crash,I find that when I am checking things, I'll have ProTools & OMS running, and then I load Console or Clockworks I might crash. . . . . but the situation is extreme, with three programs looking at one serial port. My 9600 used ti do the same. I restart and go back into one or two programs at a time.

I have another identical 64 i/o system, without the huge MIDI setup, and I get MTC in from a MicroLynx or 2000xl fine.
The two systems have identical settings, going quite deep into things. I keep looking into my good system for diffs.
Only a "settings cleared" MTP will pass MTC in to PT. I tried different MTP II's, all with current software. Even with the simplest OMS setup with single MTP with single MTC source. 42 additional synths are not the problem.
Like I said before, I thought I could use a USB 2x2 box for MTC only, but the current MIDIman drivers are crashing a G4 500DP. MTC does get in! until you want to use the trackball and do some junk.
I'm going back to it now. . . . .
Mike D
Old 06-27-2001, 05:57 AM

Here is the response I got from MOTU. Yet another saga in the secret high tech blame game. I will not be trying this fix until after a brief vacation, but I will post results when I do. As of now, the memory erased MTP is working. . .

Mike,

I think this has something to Do with OMS and Protools. I remember hearing
that there driver for the MIDITime peice worked better with these old Units
then our OMS driver does for Timecode. The MIDI is probably better in the
FreeMIDI driver, but there is something in their Driver that works around an
OMS "imperfection" with Timecode.

What I would try is to Reinstall OMS so that you are using their MIDI
Timepiece driver. You will need to throw out the OMS folder that lives in
the system folder to remove our drivers first.

I hope this helps, I'm sorry I don't remember the exact details of this
problem, I've only experienced it once in my 2 years here. But I beleive
this was the solution.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Thank You,
Giles Christenson
MOTU Technical Support
please include all prior email in your reply