Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-03-2016, 06:04 AM

Default question about old versions of pro tools

hi,
im sure that many people dont update pro tools anymore because they want no parts of online connection.
FOR ME, the online subscription thing is taking it in the exact opposite direction of what i want. im sure many are thrilled, just saying.

i was hoping one of you guys could help me out.
there must be that 1 nice version, that works nicely because its fairly modern, and yet not required to ever go online.

(excluding a single connecting for 1st time installation, that would be fine if its 1 time only)

im open to any windows, il go back as far as windowsXP if thats the only way.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 AM

Default Re: question about old versions of pro tools

Cloud collaboration was introduced in 12.5, so any version prior. Lots seem to have 12.4 working pretty well.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 AM

avid is dying..

seems like..

pro tools 11 trial got dead links - and unanswered forum posts about it - aswell

they make it seem like the subscription / constant update / thing is the only way to go
Old 06-03-2016, 06:16 AM

12 introduced those horrible noise blasts for me.
I'd go with 11.3.2.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 06-03-2016, 12:26 PM

I have 10 on a backup machine(for older RTAS stuff) that still runs great. While I own 12, and keep trying each update, I still work on 11.3 as 12(no version) has been stable enough for me(I believe Mac users are happier than PC users with 12).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-03-2016, 03:29 PM

Well, yeah, go with PT12.4 as it will give you all the benefits Avid have introduced with the latest versions of PT (all those nice and useable ex-HD-only stuff like Input Monitoring, VCAs, etc.)
and you still will not be connected to the Cloud anyway.

Although, I have to say, I myself use PT12.5HD without the Cloud option like any other prior version of PT successfully. Actually you don´t have to be connected to the Cloud to use PT12.5.

If you would go for the PT12 upgrade
http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDe...alUser=&store=
you will get a perpetual PT license which never will expire and you will own (for good) like any prior version of Pro Tools as well as 1 year free updates and upgrades.
This update/upgrade and support plan will be the only subscription you will have to subscribe to finally and you can renew this update/upgrade plan for $99.- annually only if you skip the
support part of the plan in the future.

Your Pro Tools license itself will be perpetual and there will be nothing to renew on it. If you will not renew even the update/upgrade plan in the future your Pro Tools DAW still will continue
to work without any limitations at the latest update before having let the plan expire. You just will not receive update/upgrades in the future anymore.

So it will be like having a fully working prior version of Pro Tools. Actually this will a reasonable version to use PT as well even if I personally think $99.- per year for all updates and upgrades
(sub updates and main version upgrades) is a fair deal and not that much as we had to pay a few hundreds for main version upgrades in the past as well.

So upgrading from PT11 to PT12 still could be a good option for you. With this upgrade you will receive a combo license for PT12, 11 and 10 as well as installers for all 3 versions of Pro Tools
downloadable from your Avid account. You still can decide which version to use finally.

Whichever version of Pro Tools you are going to use in the future just make sure to do all the optimization stuff before installing Pro Tools
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en367983
and make sure to use a compatible audio interface (check available drivers etc.).

The best of success to you, VRW
Old 08-27-2016, 02:37 AM

with ufs storage coming out in the next few years you're going to want to upgrade again and again anyways. I am a longtime pro tools 8. 0.1 user, and just installed 12.5.2 and I like everything I see so far. It dont go online only passes that part during startup. then your session/project choice means not connected (session).. a simple choice at the top of the session start window. though the option is there if you want to use as a 'project'

It is better than Pro Tools before 11, none of the ones before 11 could use more than 3GB of RAM, and when I installed 8.0 (and updated finally to 8.0.5) on my new laptop with great i7 and 4x the RAM of my old system, I was still getting CPU errors and told to disable plugins.
The new Pro Tools (11, 12) have the ability to use all your new system resources... so like for me I got a i7 laptop and used the two ram slots to install two 8GB DDR3 RAM sticks=16 total ddr3 RAM...

Yeah my setup is small by necessity (although at 17" its the biggest laptop I've owned, (since the 90's &#128015)

then the Asio4all, a nifty free download that lets use without any interface, so you just plugin your ilok via a right angle dongle and you're mobile very easily.
you can even write music in your midi editor in pro tools, which a lot of daws do not have.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Last edited by 810; 08-27-2016 at 02:49 AM.