Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Old TDM Mix Cards on Newer Processors

afaik the sp2 incompatability is with LE on a 001 and audiomedia cards only, i use 2 tdm systems, a mix tdm and a d24 both use sp3 no problem.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:54 PM

what is "afaik"? mean
Old 12-10-2008, 12:00 AM

As Far As I Know
Old 11-08-2009, 02:13 PM

I´m wondering, which is the most "up to date" PC hardware for a Mix 4 System? Can those systems run Win XP SP3, or is SP2 the final OS?
Any ideas for a mainboard? I read through a couple of threads and found that there were many suggestions, but now those threads are also not "fresh", so i would be interested to know what´s possible with up to date hardware.
My G4 starts freezing after a while (heat problem), so i think of putting the cards in a PC.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:45 PM

SP3 worked fine for me,
I ran a pentium D and a Core 2 duo and a quad fine but PT only takes advantage of one core so get the highest clocking dual or single core CPU you can.
Plus for minimal headaches get a motherboard with an intel chipset 845,865,965,975 are good.
Although a DFI infinity 965 board i tried didnt like the mix system,
Cant remember if i tried p38 or not it was a while ago and i run HD now.

PT10HD5 PCIX in 64Bit Magma Chassis,
2x192io's + 2x96io's & Legacy io's
Pro Control & Fader Pack
UAD2 Quad, Octo & All Plugins
Black Lion Audio Modified MOTU 24io and 2408MK3 x2
TC Powercore PCI MK2 x2 & Firewire

Softube, Sonnox, Eventide, SSL, McDSP, Waves
Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Hi people, sorry for double posting, but this theme is pretty unpopular this days

i am now in the situation to upgrade my PC. In last time i have to arrange a lot, so i have to use VSTi etc... My current PC (Pentium 4 3,0 GHz on ASUS P4P with 4GGb Ram) is a bit weak for such tasks.

I am using a Mix+ with 6.4.1 under WinXP SP2 and i like it. But newer PCs (MoBo's) mostly dont work with Mix Hardware. So i have a choice between drop my Mix system and go completely native with newest PCs and Cubase as a single DAW or to find the latest possible MoBos with Intel Chips and CPUs that work with Mix HW, to use Mix for tracking and mixing and Cubase for arranging.

I would really like to go the second way, because this will spare me a lot of money for new HW (Audio Interface, ADDAs, Cables, Software, etc...)

DigitalMetal,
what is the result of your researches with Dual and QuadCores? What did work for you?

PS: sorry for weak english.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Ok, yes newer CPU's work fine with mix hardware (although i only tested up to Core2Quad Q6600) but the major problem really is that PT 6.4 does not take advantage of multi core preocessors so you will only even be using 1 core.
I bought a socket 775 pentium 4 3.8GHz CPU to use for now as it was very cheap compared to a new CPU.

I think yes the best thing to do is keep your MIX system for recording/mixing maybe upgrade the CPU to the fastest one you can find (your board is socket 478 so i think you can only get up to 3.2GHz but have alook to see what you can find) and use 3GB of RAM.

Then get a different system for VSTI's and connect it via midi/audio and use it as a big synth system slaved to your PT system.

I dont know anyone using Mix hardware on a newer I7 CPU but most of the boards i can find ony have 2 PCI slots, you couls try the Supermicro X8SAX or something similar.

Pro Control & Fader Pack

Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM

DigitalMetal, thanks for the answer.

i found info, that Gigabyte P43-ES3G should work with Mix. that would be great!

I know of the use of only 1 cpu for PT. But Cubase 6 will use all the power of the new system. Also with Mix HW as ASIO-Interface. The reasons are simple:
1. I dont have to buy new interface with AD-DAs (i need at least 8 channels AD-DA of a reasonable quality for HW Reverbs, preamp inputs and guitar DI-interfaces, when working in Cubase).

2. I can keep all things on 1 PC, without the troubles around "multi-maschine-syncronisation", control, file management, etc...

3. I can every time use PT 6.4.1 for tracking, editing and mixing with my CMLabs Motormix, which works way better in PT, as in Cubase. And i like PT more for mixing purposes, than Cubase. And for tracking live performance with near zero latency it is unbeatable :)

So i trie to avoid 2 computers with 2 interfaces. May be it is possible to run both applications at once (with additional small interface for Cubase). I already tried this, but it was not really stable on my PC. May be, may be... :)

Best regards
Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 PM

ok but that board is old,
if i were getting a new system i would get a socket 1156 I7 it will be many times more powerful thank any CPU in 775 format and also with much faster DDR3 memory and much faster FSB.

Im using a core2Quad Q6600 in my main PC running PT9 and MOTU Hardware with an Asus P5WDG2-WS Pro and im thinking of upgrading as its getting slow so i would definitely recommend getting something faster.

Also you might want to check how well the ASIO driver for MIX performs, i have had bad stability and not very low latency from it in the past.

Pro Control & Fader Pack

Old 03-09-2011, 12:25 AM

This board is not really old :) Compared to my Asus P4P it is pretty new .
On ths board you can run Q9650 or the "Extreme's", which are not bad at all. Yes, it has "only" the half of power of an i7 2600K. BUT! It has ca. 9x the power of my P4 .

What exactly is getting slow for you on your Q6600? In which tasks do you hit your system on the power limits?

ASIO drivers of Mix system are not that bad. On my P4 i can go down to 256s (ca. 6ms latency) and use 3-4 NRR1 (this plug is really "hungry") for playing/tracking DIs. This performance ist enough for arranging Guitars. And with a Q9650 there will be a lot more power. May be than i can go down to 128s

But the question about newest MoBos and CPUs for Mix is open. Every peace of info is welcome.