Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2004, 04:16 PM

Default Anyone ever run PTLE using XP Remote Desktop?

I've just switched this feature off (a recomended tweak at musicxp.net), and i wondered if it really is possible to run PTLE remotely across a network. Anyone done it? Could be useful.

(That's control panel / system / remote...)
Old 02-28-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever run PTLE using XP Remote Desktop?

i use it all the time but not for PT. it works fantasticly. its just like sitting in front of your computer. i have it set up on my work machine. i've even installed programs via remote desktop - all from miles away.

like i said, i haven't tried it with PT, but i know it would work. before you log in, make sure your sounds setting is set to "leave sounds at host computer". and remember, you can't log in unless the host machine has a user account with a password - the best thing for PT would be to give the administrator acct a password.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:38 PM

I experimented, just to play, obvioustly it does not transmit audio over the network, so, machine A with the Digi hardware, can be controled by machine B, but the audio will play out the digi hardware, hooked up to machine A.

Also, it's pretty taxing on both machines, if you were using a fairly big session, you'd bog the system down... I've successfully edited a session from another computer, across the room though.... just playing around.

if you were looking for Studio floor control, over your control room PT rig, you're still best running a usb Keyboard and Mouse extension, and a dual head video card.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-29-2004, 05:28 AM

Quote:
obvioustly it does not transmit audio over the network
Can't you just route the sound back into the PC through another prog, and send that down to your remote PC?

I just have this feeling there's some real clever use for this somewhere...
Old 02-29-2004, 05:30 AM

I tried RD over a VPN Tunnel and crashed my PT system.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 02-29-2004, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Can't you just route the sound back into the PC through another prog, and send that down to your remote PC?

I just have this feeling there's some real clever use for this somewhere...
Well remore desktop will stream audio, using "send audio" v.s. "leave audio on remote machine" using most standard audio cards, and audio apps, it's more of a software thing then a hardware thing. PT communicates directly with ONLY the digi hardware, while 3rd party apps communicate with Windows - AND - the built in or 3rd party Hardware, when you stream audio over the network, it's extremely poor quality, flanged, and even at times broken up, as said before ONLY works with most standard, and built in audio cards and audio apps, will not work directly with PT.

So.... If you Really wanted to send audio over the network to another machine from a PT rig, you could use the onboard Audio card (or another mainstream 3rd party audio card's) input.

you'd run the outputs of your 001 - 002 - or M-Box, into the input of your sound card, and you could use any app that has a "Monitor Input" feature, running in real time, to have windows process the audio, and send it over the network, Vegas, SoundForge, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Samplitude, will all stream audio over the network using windows wav drivers.

If you're clever, you can physicly patch PT into one of these apps, Monitor, and stream over the network.

It's going to sound like Poop on a local network, let alone over the internet.

Still the best use for remote desktop, is remote access of screen control for the functionallity of your PT rig.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App