Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-12-2008, 12:07 AM

Default Software Update

I originally posted this in the thread "Working in session and PT just closes!!!" but I moved it here so as not to disturb that thread.

I would like to suggest that Digi considers implementing a proper and robust "software update" system for ProTools. Many users have hundreds of different 3rd party programs/plug-in all running in the PT environment. The problem is that keeping track of compatible versions can be a huge pain. In many cases even a single out of date component can cause all kinds of headaches. The solution is for Digi to implement an extensible software update system to manage all software that is used on the platform.

Here is a super loose start for this idea:

1. Add a "Check for Updates" menu entry

2. This function will generate a table that contains all of the installed software on the users PT system including:
a. Operating system version and all relevant components, e.g. OS, QuickTime, AU, etc..
b. ProTools version and all components
c. All plug-ins and versions
d. I am sure I am forgetting other things

3. The Table will show:
a. The name of the component
b. The installed version of the component
c. The current compatible version of the component
d. An indicator if the component is not compatible or out of date

4. If the component is not compatible a way to resolve the conflict which will include one of the following:
a. A link to the manufactures website - where possible to the download page
b. Where Digidesign has direct control over the component the ability to simply perform the update with a single click

This concept helps both vendors and end users. I fully realize the complexity in actually implementing such a system. I do however feel that any well designed software platform needs to include software tools for component upgrades and maintenance.

-Mike
Old 01-12-2008, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Software Update

Sounds like you're asking Digi to do what IMO any good craftsman needs to learn how to do for themselves, maintain their tools.

I mean it sounds nice in theory, but there are so many permutations that setting it up and maintaining it would be an ABSOLUTE nightmare.

Besides, I want Digi spending their time and resources making PT bug free and a better product all around, not chasing every little update from all the plugin makers. I can manage my own rig, thank you.

Of course, just one guys opinion.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
... it sounds nice in theory, but there are so many permutations that setting it up and maintaining it would be an ABSOLUTE nightmare.
DAS-Mike, you sound like the perfect customer... from the developer's point of view.

Digi just might love the idea, especially if it can't be disabled.

But keeping up with those hundreds of plugin vender's?
Digi's answer would probably be, "Just use our plugs!"

Quote:
...Digidesign has direct control over the component the ability to simply perform the update with a single click
That line scares me... could the requirement of an internet connection to run Protools be far behind?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
...Digidesign has direct control over the component the ability to simply perform the update with a single click
That line scares me... could the requirement of an internet connection to run Protools be far behind?

[/QUOTE]

Rockridge, that line in my post was misleading. Sorry about that. I should have said "If it is a Digidesign plug-in then the ability to simply perform the update."

At the most basic level I am suggesting a list of installed plug-ins, installed version and current release version. I don't see how that is a bad things for anyone. Providing the link to the manufactures website is simply a convenience.

-Mike