Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 PM

Default Windows 7 hotfix for FireWire issues

I've read about problems with Windows 7 and firewire drives, and fire wire not being supported for Pro Tools MP 8.0.5.. It figures since that is the setup I've got..! Asus laptop, windows 7 SP1, 64 bit , two firewire 7200rpm external hard drives connected with a SIIG card, and Project Mix I/O connected to the laptop's internal firewire.. I'm wondering if anyone on the DUC has ever utilized the hot fixes I've seen on Microsoft's site in regards to firewire issues? The main issues I've had, and I can't say for sure they're because of the firewire situation are, #1 during bounces when all of a sudden the screen flashes, and the clock no longer is counting down and I see MP (not responding). Funny thing is the bounce still happens but you can't stop it before the end, if you wanted to.... #2, if you've used elastic audio and there are changes you want to keep rather than reverting to the original, it can take a LONG time, and I mean a long time to finish the job. I worry those hot fixes might do more harm than good. Thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Avid

Default Re: Windows 7 hotfix for FireWire issues

The bounce freeze issue is 'normal' (noted in the release notes) and can usually be fixed by disabling Aero.

For #2 - when you say it takes a long time, how long exactly? How many tracks are you committing at the same time and which algorithm are you using (Poly, X-Form, etc)?