Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-03-2020, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.1

People who need video *and* do not have absolutely any other choice than start using Catalina before PT is 100% ready are very few, so what is your point?
Old 01-04-2020, 12:01 AM

To keep it simple: Avid charges a lot but delivers too slow.
If you charge that much your service must be excellent. And it isn‘t.

Over and out...

Mark
Old 01-04-2020, 12:15 AM

nice one Mark Avid needs to step it up!
Old 01-04-2020, 12:22 AM

C'mon guys, Mojave support came in 2019.5 and now we have Catalina support (for most, yes) in 2019.12 and you are saying it is too slow? Sheesh... Call me a fanboy if you wish but this is pretty darn fast to me.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
in my opinion the actual Catalina version of Pro Tools is a downgrade as it offers less features.
What features are you missing Mark? AFAIK, all you need to work with video in Catalina is convert your video to MXF wrapper instead of the MOV.
Have to admit that after converting the video to MXF video engine is really solid here on latest PT and Mojave. Hope that striping out more of 32bit code out will really help in PT 2020.

Last edited by bartosz idzi; 01-04-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:25 AM

Don't worry it will all be fixed when "Santa Catalina" is released, after all it is only 26 miles away

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-05-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Come on Man!

Avid ”didn’t have to do 64bit” ... really? What do you think would have happened if they didn’t do 64bit?? No more USERS for Sure!

And these days Live10 Suite is a really advanced DAW and same with Logic and yet those have been ready for 6 months. Logic I understand but Ableton and many more so why not PT? You know PT is not a ”Magic” program and its based on 1’s and 0’s like all the rest so how is it they (Avid) always drag their crap when Apple releases a new OS? If others can so can Avid

I’m not calling you out but you have a way of simplify everything Avid does or doesn’t do with defending a poor product development which is BS when you charge these sums each year. We have used Live 9 Suite and now Live 10 Suite and paid 149 USD for the past 2 years all in all for the every update and feature rich release and the $149 was to goto Live10Suite that came with a boatload of new stuff! Here people are paying a minimum of $399 and in sweden $560 a year just to not fall behind and have to re purchase if the new version isn’t compatible with your OS!
I feel you Southside! I think JFreak just comes on here to add to peoples frustrations. He never puts himself in there shoes. I really don’t know what Avid has on him but what ever it is he is defending then to the death! �� He’s like an inverted troll. Every now an then he will do a double talk like he’s trying to appear neutral but it’s just smoke and mirrors. He’s a fanboy through and through! To him Avid can do no wrong! Its’s scary! It’s almost like Avid is his God or something. Maybe he comes on the threads that speak ill of Avid just to stir things up so he can later have them closed. I personally think he is harming things around here as much as he is so called trying to help things. He just doesn’t want to get it and in this thread in particular most of the guys where just having fun.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartosz idzi View Post
What features are you missing Mark? AFAIK, all you need to work with video in Catalina is convert your video to MXF wrapper instead of the MOV.
Have to admit that after converting the video to MXF video engine is really solid here on latest PT and Mojave. Hope that striping out more of 32bit code out will really help in PT 2020.
You seem to be under the impression that people who work with video in big markets only have to ingest or export video rarely. Hardly the case.
For instance, in December, I was working with 1 major US television network, the largest film studio in the world on a feature film, and 3 different streamers for different multi-part series.
Zero of them send video in MXF. There are a lot of turnovers and a lot of re-conforming. There is a lot of exporting of clips for review to be sent to producers, directors, and editorial rooms that need to be in a file format they can easily playback where ever they are. Sending 40+ clips out a week is not unreasonable today. The "quicktime exports" are also not possible with the current state of Catalina/Pro Tools. I work off a ProRes/DNxHD copy of picture and have an offline h264 version of picture also setup which gets on-lined when I need to make clips to send out so I can save time by using a reduced size picture that can be done "same as source."

Even if I was working on 1 feature, there is a lot of ingest and clips. Modern filmmaking means faster edits and more frequent picture turnover from editorial and directors doing reshoots on location during post. And review by just about everyone in their own locations spread across the world.

So it is a joke to say things are covered with just a change to an MXF wrapper. The current state is not compatible if you work in a major market for content creation unless you want to lose a significant amount of time.

I see Mark's issues and the concept that this is "good enough" support for now is flawed.

(and for those reasons, I won't be making the move "up" until things are solved.)
Old 01-06-2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You seem to be under the impression that people who work with video in big markets only have to ingest or export video rarely. Hardly the case.
For instance, in December, I was working with 1 major US television network, the largest film studio in the world on a feature film, and 3 different streamers for different multi-part series.
Zero of them send video in MXF. There are a lot of turnovers and a lot of re-conforming. There is a lot of exporting of clips for review to be sent to producers, directors, and editorial rooms that need to be in a file format they can easily playback where ever they are. Sending 40+ clips out a week is not unreasonable today. The "quicktime exports" are also not possible with the current state of Catalina/Pro Tools. I work off a ProRes/DNxHD copy of picture and have an offline h264 version of picture also setup which gets on-lined when I need to make clips to send out so I can save time by using a reduced size picture that can be done "same as source."

Even if I was working on 1 feature, there is a lot of ingest and clips. Modern filmmaking means faster edits and more frequent picture turnover from editorial and directors doing reshoots on location during post. And review by just about everyone in their own locations spread across the world.

So it is a joke to say things are covered with just a change to an MXF wrapper. The current state is not compatible if you work in a major market for content creation unless you want to lose a significant amount of time.

I see Mark's issues and the concept that this is "good enough" support for now is flawed.

(and for those reasons, I won't be making the move "up" until things are solved.)

That isn't his point at all, though. You probably need to use 2019.12 to understand what he is saying. He isn't arguing for MXF only support in Pro Tools. He is simply outlining the fact that the video engine in 2019.12 is unequivocally better. It works. Seemingly every time... without random errors or messages saying it has shat itself. The same really can't be said about the old quicktime based video engine. Last year I had so many video based errors across about half a dozen Pro Tools systems that I got used to carrying around my laptop with a copy of Resolve on it to lay up videos. It was a major PITA. The thought of bouncing out 40 or 50 clips a week on the thing? Its the stuff of nightmares! I don't want the old quicktime video engine back. I want it buried 50 foot underground, encased in lead and concrete. Hopefully with a bunch of the old quicktime stuff removed, the emerging video engine will be much, much better than the old one.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
That isn't his point at all, though. You probably need to use 2019.12 to understand what he is saying. He isn't arguing for MXF only support in Pro Tools. He is simply outlining the fact that the video engine in 2019.12 is unequivocally better.
I've been using 2019.12 since the moment it was released. The problem is Catalina+2019.12. I have no intention to go to Catalina until all the codecs are supported again because it would cripple workflow.

And his point is MXF is all we need on Catalina to work with video. It's right there in his post to Mark.

Quote:
No need to guess.