Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Default It'll be just like starting over....

Hi folks, long time no speak....took a long break due to injury and a break from my studio also. In the meantime my stuff is obsolete really. My computer will not run past a certain OS, won't do PT 11 I think...etc.

I want to go buy a new computer and a new interface.... and want to still use the Eleven Rack. Got my mind on a AU Apollo......but am open to to suggestions. Not an MBox fan though. I want a good interface I can forget about for a long time.

I have so many questions. Look at my sig and you will see what old stuff I have.

So to keep this short....... I might want to do the CPTK to 11HD upgrade, but even if I stay on PT10 or just do PT11.....I need a better computer and an interface that is all compatible. I have a ton of VI's and the libraries are on internal SATA drives in the Mac Pro. I have to consider those also and how many are good to go for AAX upgrades. It's a lot of work really.....a daunting task upgrading all this stuff.

So computer-wise, what is good? iMac....or should I only consider a Mac Pro...and then which Mac Pro. Trashcan will be too expensive I think. My current C2D MBP laptop is crapping out so I'll consider a MBP as that will kill two birds. But is a laptop powerful enough? What about all my extra drives etc?

Perhaps it's best to ask, what Mac, new or older, I should avoid?

I notice many do not offer FW anymore. If I take my SATA drives out my old MP and put them in enclosures..... what connectivity is available on the new computers? Do I leave them in and slave the MP with VEPro?

My basic needs are, to write music to video...I need big plug in and VI counts and I do not want "running out of CPU" error messages anymore. I'm prepared to consider a used computer to get a more powerful one if new will be too much $'s. 8-Core....12-Core....24 or 32 RAM...? etc etc.

I'm sure you can see where I sit......I'm basically starting all over again, just that I have a current setup and understand PT etc. I just want a setup that will run well with no headaches. My budget for the computer and interface....along with the 11HD upgrade maybe..... is $5000....maybe a tickle more, hopefully not. The less I have to spend the more I can dedicate to extra's like mic's...more VI's etc etc

Thanks folks.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 10-08-2014, 07:02 AM

Default Re: It'll be just like starting over....

Not really answering your question, but looking at what you already have, just get some more RAM and make some music. I like buying new toys as much as the next guy (well, within reason...), but new gear is likely to give you as many headaches as pleasure.

Are you doing this professionally? How long is it going to take for this new gear to pay for itself, and more importantly, pay you? Coming off a "long break due to injury," do you want to spend that kind of coin on new gear right now?

Lecture over. If you still want to spend money, from your setup the easiest transition would be to get the most recent Mac Pro tower you can afford, load it up with as much RAM as it will take, and transfer your VI drives into it. Down from that, you might consider the current Mac Mini Quad i7, with a couple of SSD's in it if you want/need Thunderbolt. I like imac's too, but the current ones don't have firewire at all, so you have to use the thunderbolt port and an adapter with them. The Apollo is a pretty cool interface, but there goes half your budget for that alone, plus now you're lured into all the UA plug-ins.

Keep us posted how you decide to upgrade.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:10 AM

I also think that the best bet would be to max out RAM in the Mac Pro (memory is dirt cheap nowadays) and take a look at where the PT11 will get you. If your plugin count is unacceptable, then make a plan to buy a whole new system starting from zero.

Because other than that, my suggestion would be a top-of-the-line fully-maxed-out retina macbook pro with an Avid HDN TB box. The cost will likely be prohibitive...
Old 10-08-2014, 10:39 AM

go ahead and consider the 10+CPTK to 11HD upgrade it comes with a 10HD license bundled (you'll need a v2 iLok)
you can use what you have but also be ready for new hardware if/when you pull that trigger

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-12-2014, 01:07 PM

Hi folks and thanks. Sorry for the late reply....I was finishing up on one TV show and got called in on another. Long days.

I like the idea of keeping what I have, even though I have long yearned for the Apollo. They have a special right now including some cool plugin's with the unit's. However, Apollo requires Mountain Lion or Mavericks and my computer ends at Lion. So no go without a new computer.

Here's my only concern other than that. The reason I felt I needed more computer is because of how soon I ran out of CPU.....all the way back to PT4. It seemed I never had enough CPU power...... from my 1st 7600, to the B&W G3, the G4 DP MDD and the Mac Pro. I could never run enough tracks and or plug in's and VI's. I even got VEPro to try help but hated the additional aggravation in getting it up and running while trying to hold on to my vibe.

If I stay on my computer....up the RAM......and go to PT11HD........

Will my computer be enough?

Does PT11 really minimize the hit on CPU?

Can I still use the Eleven Rack and 002R as my interfaces with PT HD? Or will I need to use the bundled PT10HD?

Is the fact that PT11 is 64 bit, the reason I can use more physical RAM in the computer.......whereas the older 32 bit Versions of PT meant you could not access more than 4GB?

Thanks folks...I do appreciate the help and I am paying close attention to your advice.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Old 10-12-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Can I still use the Eleven Rack and 002R as my interfaces with PT HD? Or will I need to use the bundled PT10HD?
yes you can use your current interfaces

Quote:
Is the fact that PT11 is 64 bit, the reason I can use more physical RAM in the computer.......whereas the older 32 bit Versions of PT meant you could not access more than 4GB?
yes

Quote:
Will my computer be enough?

Does PT11 really minimize the hit on CPU?
peoples results are mixed

if you need a new laptop get one with an i7 CPU and if it's retina display get max RAM (RAM is soldered in and not upgradable)
there are Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters to access you old drives

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-12-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
However, Apollo requires Mountain Lion or Mavericks and my computer ends at Lion. So no go without a new computer.
Sorry to tell you, but you really need to come up with a decision very fast, because the rumors say Yosemite will be released in three days and after that new computers come with that pre-installed. If you want Mavericks, you need to go shopping right now.

Now I'm not sure you need that new computer, but in case you decide to buy one, as said, you need to upgrade it right before the purchase. Can't change anything except battery on the new laptops. Upgrading the storage might be a possibility in the future, but if you have the budget, buy fully loaded MBP and it will serve you well for the years to come.

To repeat myself, you most likely won't be needing a new computer. Your old tower will serve you well if you replace the memory sticks with new ones. Depending on how much VI's you use, there are good deals available for your Nehalem. This would be the optimum solution. While the box has four memory slots, the system works the fastest if you only use first three so I'd suggest you decide between 24/48 gigs depending on the budget.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:03 PM

Okay great. Just to be sure I understand correctly.....

I should go buy a copy of Mavericks now........ In case I say for example get a newer model used MP like a 8 or 12 core? Once Yosemite is released will they stop selling OS's on disc?

If I keep my old MP and upgrade the memory to either 24/48 GB, what version of PT are you suggesting will work excellently.....10 or 11? Must I get the 11HD upgrade and use the 10HD bundled license?

With 10HD or just 10 being 32 bit........can I even access all that memory?

Thanks friends for being so helpful......and tolerating all my questions. Hopefully others can benefit also.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Old 10-14-2014, 02:49 PM

Post Re: It'll be just like starting over....

Quote:
I should go buy a copy of Mavericks now........ In case I say for example get a newer model used MP like a 8 or 12 core? Once Yosemite is released will they stop selling OS's on disc?
Apple stopped selling the OS on disc after Snow Leopard. Lion OS, Mountain Lion OS, Mavericks OS, and the forthcoming Yosemite OS are only available via the Mac App Store.

Mavericks OS is free. You just need to be using Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later in order to download it from the Mac App Store. Once Yosemite OS goes live, it will become difficult at best to get a copy of Mavericks OS from Apple.

Quote:
If I keep my old MP and upgrade the memory to either 24/48 GB, what version of PT are you suggesting will work excellently.....10 or 11?
The last version of PT 11 that will run on Lion OS is v11.0.3.

Quote:
Must I get the 11HD upgrade and use the 10HD bundled license?
Yes. You have to surrender your current license when you purchase the 11/10 upgrade.

Quote:
With 10HD or just 10 being 32 bit........can I even access all that memory?
Pro Tools 10 can only access up to 4 GB of memory.

One more thing. There's a dirty little secret about the Mac Pro towers. They use triple-channel memory. What does this mean? It means that even though you have eight RAM slots, you can only achieve maximum data throughput when you use six RAM slots. That's right! You will actually take a performance hit if you fill all eight RAM slots!

That performance hit might not be significant. It might only exist in numbers. My point is this. If you want to achieve maximum performance and save a few bucks, only buy enough RAM to fill six slots.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Once Yosemite OS goes live, it will become difficult at best to get a copy of Mavericks OS from Apple.
Oh ….thanks for the heads up on this