Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Default Pro Tools 8 w/Mbox Mini

My Mbox mini is unable to record any sound coming from a standard vocal microphone. The Guitar in works and records from any instrument as crystal clear as always, but if I plug a mic into the same port using an XLR cable or XLR to 1/4 inch jack, I can not hear anything from the microphone unless the gain is almost maxed out. Even though I can hear the mic through headphones with the gain cranked up, I can not record any sound from the mic, even though I am record enabled. Last time I recorded I used a condenser mic, I think I may have forgot to turn phantom power off and accidentally fried the XLR connections in my input jack upon start up. I can not find any info on having the Mbox repaired online or how to trouble shoot, granted this happened tonight after work and I haven't had a chance to try to do much research or track down a repair center locally.

To make it easier I'll list my questions:
* I'll take any opinion on what members may think the problem is, any suggestions?
*Has anyone else pulled this bone head move? Is my input jack screwed?
*Does anyone have experience replacing the input jack in port 1? If so, can I use any XLR/1/4' input jack or do I need to special order and where can I find parts?
*Can anyone recommend a repair center or give input about that?
Thanks in advance, I hate to join and immediately ask for help, but I am up against a wall. Please help if you can.
Cheers!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 w/Mbox Mini

First off, are you selecting the Mic/DI button(you must to make the xlr work)? Microphones need to connect via the xlr input(in the quarter inch input, they won't have enough gain). Have you tried a dynamic mic(which does not need phantom)? Patching with phantom ON should not fry anything(never has for me anyway). If the Mic/DI button doesn't help, but the line input still works, you could use an external mic preamp(even the $50 Behringer or little ART models would work fine). If you decide to open the unit, I would look for blown caps or diodes at or near the xlr. For service, I know AllProElectronics is an authorized Avid center(in Nashville). Visit their website and give them a call about repairs.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave