Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2013, 01:17 PM

Default Omni optical out....for 5.1 monitors..

Ive just picked up a logitech z5500 as a domestic type ref for 5.1.
Just wondering of its possible to use the Omni optical out to feed them. It has coax, and optical inputs, as well as analog ones...

I dont think the Omni can output multichannel non Dolby signal as you cant assign the output to more than 2 channels
Old 07-15-2013, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Omni optical out....for 5.1 monitors..

You can assign the Omni output to up to 8 channels. However, the only multichannel digital path is for AES.

To use optical out, you would need to set the Adat outputs to be just line outs, by setting the monitor path to "none". Which is fine, because your Logitech becomes your monitor control, rather than the Omni.

But it's a little complex, and I'm still figuring out how to configure this in my Omni, as I want to try using the Adat outs into my home theater receiver.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM

thanks for your post. I'll try that....I have a feeling that the z5500 digital inputs only look for dolby flavours though....

I do have a 192 on my system too though
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 PM

The 192 will actually be easier to configure in this situation.

Looking at the z5500 manual, it looks like it may accept straight digital signals. But if it's only Dolby, you would need something like the Neyrinck plugins to encode it first.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:02 PM

I'll try a few things out and post back....I need to be a bit careful with what I end up doing as this is my secondary / alt system. Still not bought the main 5.1 monitors as yet.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 PM

it's possible that the adat and your optical on the logitech might not work, in this case the logitech is looking for ac3 over lightpipe and adat has never been that. adat is descrete 8 channels over lightpipe.

often consumer lightpipe isn't discrete.