Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 PM

Default Re: New HD Omni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
Sweetwater.com leaked the name of the new card earlier today (now pulled): Pro Tools|HD Native. This was expected by many. The Omni looks great - if bundled with a new card. This will be a superb solution for many. Looking forward to the announcement. Hopefully soon. Thanks Avid!
Irony
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Man,I wish Avid made the HD Omni interface for both LE and HD,I would have love to have it but its only for the HD systems.I hope they come out with another interface where we can get the same quality for the LE systems too.Anyone hear anything like that in the makings?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM

If the OMNI isn't dasy-chainable it doesn't make sense to use it for an LE system. It has 8 in and 8 out. That's what a Digi 003+ has. Of course the HD Omni has much better AD/DA but as another poster mentioned, a lot of LE users already bought seperate and much better converters than the 003.

So then for those users the HD Omni would only make sense if it could be upgraded. Whether you can dasy-chain them or have a new card with 3 digilink mini connections on it doesn't matter. But it has to be upgradable. (Is that even correct English?)
Old 08-18-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
Sweetwater.com leaked the name of the new card earlier today (now pulled): Pro Tools|HD Native. This was expected by many. The Omni looks great - if bundled with a new card. This will be a superb solution for many. Looking forward to the announcement. Hopefully soon. Thanks Avid!
Exactly! The only way for the Omni to be a successful product is for it to be bundled with a new inexpensive card. And it has to be available as soon as the Omni actually is shipping otherwise I don't really see these flying out the door. I have to suspect that I'm pretty typical of the common HD user and I can't imagine having any use for this box.

Now the card on the other hand.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Irony
Didn't see your original posts that got you in the deep, but after reading some of the posts in response, yes it is ironic. Not however in a very humorous way
Old 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post
If the OMNI isn't dasy-chainable it doesn't make sense to use it for an LE system. It has 8 in and 8 out. That's what a Digi 003+ has. Of course the HD Omni has much better AD/DA but as another poster mentioned, a lot of LE users already bought seperate and much better converters than the 003.

So then for those users the HD Omni would only make sense if it could be upgraded. Whether you can dasy-chain them or have a new card with 3 digilink mini connections on it doesn't matter. But it has to be upgradable. (Is that even correct English?)
Daisy chain two Omnis? Wouldn't you just daisy chain an Omni and an HD I/O or HD 192?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 PM

Hmm, well I just ordered on Omni HD to replace my 96 I/O for the following reasons,

1) 192K, which until now I haven't been able to do

2) mic / instrument inputs. Even though I won't use all the time, to have them will be handy

3) headphone jack with mixdown capabilities. Now I can get rid of the little Mackie mixer that was sitting on my desk

4) monitoring and the persistent mixer, now I can play my Mac output through the Omni without ProTools running, great for working in Final Cut, just playing iTunes, etc.

So I think there is a use even for existing HD users, I for one am swapping out for it. For me it solves just enough things I wanted to tackle anyway to make it worth while.

Oh, and if anyone wants to buy a 96 I/O, please let me know :)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
Daisy chain two Omnis? Wouldn't you just daisy chain an Omni and an HD I/O or HD 192?
Of course you would but I was purely speculating on the rumors that the HD Omni might also be used for LE in some way. And whether it can make any sense.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post
Of course you would but I was purely speculating on the rumors that the HD Omni might also be used for LE in some way. And whether it can make any sense.
ah I see. Yes, it'd be nice to be able to expand I/O for LE.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
One way Avid could make this up to you Brad is buying out your studio gear. And sending you new ones "on evaluation."

They have a studio here they play around in. They buy their stuff for it from GC. People pelt them with tomatoes when they walk into GC. I am not making this up.
Thanks Peter, I appreciate it! But AVID doesn't owe me anything....Over the years I've probably done more than a few million in business for them by myself.....which in turn that provided for my family. Moving forward, I'm just another end-user now...... I doubt they even know how much business I've done for them, only who it came through. And inside---maybe that's enough for me.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Irony

What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!