Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2018, 03:42 PM

Default Best Imac for Protools 2019

I'm looking to upgrade my System.. What Imac would you recommend? I've been using a MacBook Pro with PT10 & OSX 10.8.5 for the past few years.

But, it's not compatible with newer Plugins & other upgrades. This old OS won't even log in to Sweetwater in case I want Tech Support or even Shop...

I have a PreSonus 16.4.2 Interface that I would like to continue using if that's possible.. I use 2 Glyph External Hard Drives to Store & Backup all my Projects.

I do want a larger Screen. At least 21".. or Ideally 2 Screens..

Budget is always a concern but don't want something that will be obsolete in a couple years...

I apprecite your feedback.

Thanks,

Lars
Old 12-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Best Imac for Protools 2019

I have 2 iMacs... just the consumer type with the i5 chip and 32gb of ram, both run REALLy well, my only gripe is the graphic on the 5k screen - jerky - but all good on my 2nd 1080 monitor. The new(ish) iMac Pro is a poor house by all accounts but still apparently has graphics issues. If it were me, I'd wait till the new year and se what Apple do with the new Mac Pro, about the only thing for sure is that'll be expensive
Old 12-03-2018, 05:25 PM

just make sure you buy i7 cpu and at least 16GB memory
Old 12-03-2018, 05:48 PM

And don't get a hybrid drive unless you're comfortable splitting it.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:55 PM

There seems to be some special pricing on I Macs during the Christmas holidays. I thought it would be the best time? No?

I was thinking of doing something for Christmas..

So, I took advantage of the 20% off on Protools Upgrade today.. They said I need to install it within 30 days or it expires.

From your experience if you were upgrading your Computer now, knowing what you know, what would you recommend as System requirements?

Thanks,

Lars
Old 12-03-2018, 11:18 PM

Folks have already given you basic recommendations.

I would get 32 Gb RAM (16GB is minimum). 3rd party upgrade if possible. I'd want a 27" screen.

Get the largest internal SSD you can afford. Don't get a hybrid drive (as already mentioned). Ideally you can put audio/session on that boot drive. That is much better performance than any HDD, and most other SSD you can get. Unless you need huge disk space for samples, stick them on that boot drive as well. Ancient rules about dedicated audio drives do not apply to these super-fast NVMe internal SSDs, and your system will run *worse* with slow dedicated drives. Repatriate your current HDD for backup drives or bookends.

Ideally get a computer with an i7 or i9 CPU and fastest graphics you can afford.

Answers here are likely to end up in "max out the systems". It's not our money and we have *no* clue what your financial tradeoffs are. Your best crude guide for your to start at is your understanding how your current sessions are running on the hardware you have. That's a predictor of CPU needs, disk space needs, etc. memory well, no, you need lots more than with 10.

The Mac Mini is another option.

You'll need an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Firewire adapter dongle, or a third party dock with Firewire, like the OWC Thunderbolt III dock.

And you may not need to be doing everything at once. What exact configuration MBP do you have now? Model/EMC #? CPU? Disk? Memory? You may have options of just upgrading that and running 2018.10 there today. If only to test stuff out. personally if there was any chance of staying on the MBP I'd do that and look out for a new Mac Pro next year (as others also mentioned here)... but that's my bias for a high end systems, may have no relevance to you.

Depending on what computer you should be careful about understanding what is upgradable easily, upgradable but a PITA, or not upgradeable at all. If the CPU, SSD and/or DRAM is soldered to the motherboard then it's impossible to upgrade, most things on the iMacs is at least a PITA to upgrade if its doable at all, the 27" iMac do have user accessible DRAM for easy upgrades, the 21.5" do not. I think the 27" iMacs have M.2 "like" SSDs cards but they are Apple proprietary and I don't know if third parties have upgrades yet, but even if they do it's a total PITA to open up the iMacs... so hold your nose and pay $$$ for as much SSD as you can now.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-03-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:21 PM

You shouldn’t disregard the new Mac Mini, especially if you’re considering two displays (so these could be matching) or like the idea of 10Gbps ethernet that can be used to connect e.g. to 10GE NAS storage (or aggregated 1GE links].

There are plenty of threads on DUC and elsewhere discussing performance with Pro Tools, fan noise etc. and in many respects, the i7 outperforms the current (trash can) Mac Pro, with the main downside being the lack of a GPU.

However, if you also do graphics/video, you can add an external GPU (eGPU) over Thunderbolt 3, so even if not easily upgradeable like an ‘old’ Mac (cheese grater) Pro, still somewhat modular. Ideally, following Apple’s recent bit of transparency regarding their plans for the pro sector, it would now be good to know what the 2019 Pro is going to be like or even if this is going to be a Q1 or Q4 release ... as like you, many continue to sit on the fence waiting! :)
Old 12-04-2018, 05:12 AM

The only thing keeping me from buying a Mac Mini TODAY is that there is nothing wrong with my old system. Knock on wood.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:03 AM

Thanks so much for the replies & great information.

Are there any particular IMac models I should look at? Where are the best places to buy?

Thanks,

Lars
Old 12-04-2018, 08:17 AM

You have more advice here than you can process. *nobody* can guess exactly what you need/want and it makes no sense for you to keep asking for a exact model recommendation. That tells me you are not really processing the advice given.

Buy from Apple online as a BTO (build to order)... to meet your needs. Get configuring and see what you can afford.