Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 AM

Default At what point is round robin allocation beneficial

The subject says it all.

I'm building a new PC for recording, and could put in 2 audio drives for round robin allocation. At what point is this obviously beneficial or necessary?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Default Re: At what point is round robin allocation beneficial

I would say a properly built PC may not ever need RR unless you have a session with so many tracks that 1 drive chokes. I personally have yet to hit that wall with 60+ tracks, but others that use 100+ may have a different opinion. I would ONLY be looking at i7 950 and up cpu's and a socket 1366 X58 mobo for best performance. If you ever DO use RR, be very careful about backing up your session properly as you will have audio files on 2 drives(I have enough trouble keeping track of everything on 1 drive). BTW, your best performance will be on SATA internal drives(eSATA SHOULD perform the same, and both are mush faster than any FW or USB drives).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I would say a properly built PC may not ever need RR unless you have a session with so many tracks that 1 drive chokes. I personally have yet to hit that wall with 60+ tracks, but others that use 100+ may have a different opinion. I would ONLY be looking at i7 950 and up cpu's and a socket 1366 X58 mobo for best performance. If you ever DO use RR, be very careful about backing up your session properly as you will have audio files on 2 drives(I have enough trouble keeping track of everything on 1 drive). BTW, your best performance will be on SATA internal drives(eSATA SHOULD perform the same, and both are mush faster than any FW or USB drives).

Pretty much agree with Allbee. Round Robin would have been far more necessary back when HDD were much slower than they are now. There was a time when SCSI was needed just to gain the maximum track counts.

Now if you were mixing a motion picture than RR might be a concern.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 PM

^Yes!^ And don't say SCSI, it makes my fingers hurt.
I never used RR even back in the day. Well, maybe once to learn my lesson. If you're running huge sessions that need multiple drives, purposefully assign certain blocks of tracks to the second drive according to some plan. Put the plan in, say, the Main Master track notes or somewhere that you can't miss it when you open the session in the future. It's no fun to be missing half your files and not remember where you put them.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
^Yes!^ And don't say SCSI, it makes my fingers hurt.
I never used RR even back in the day. Well, maybe once to learn my lesson. If you're running huge sessions that need multiple drives, purposefully assign certain blocks of tracks to the second drive according to some plan. Put the plan in, say, the Main Master track notes or somewhere that you can't miss it when you open the session in the future. It's no fun to be missing half your files and not remember where you put them.
+1

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com